The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Afternoon bite question  (Read 1051 times)

Offline galaxy_cat

• IceShanty Rookie
Afternoon bite question
« on: Jan 14, 2021, 12:46 PM »
Hey all! Unfortunately, with my work schedule, it's rare that I can get onto the ice during prime time hours. I can mostly get out between late morning and early afternoon, when the bite is definitely slower and when some are packing up. Does anyone have any methods they use during that time when the fishing is slow? 

Offline Kourcha

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Afternoon bite question
« Reply #1 on: Jan 14, 2021, 01:04 PM »
Personally I fish whatever time I can get out whether its early morning late evening mid day or night time, I have had pretty good luck around 1pm lately on the lake I'm fishing usually on my traps tipped with crawlers in shallow water targeting bows

These are just a few i've pulled out late afternoon

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 14, 2021, 01:38 PM »
Those are beauties!

Offline Bosshog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 14, 2021, 03:39 PM »
Nice rainbows kourcha!
And I also get out when I can, if I don't catch much, it's still better than sitting in front of the stupid tube.
Bait goes on the hook... hook goes in the water...smelt is in the water...OUR SMELT!!!

Offline Kourcha

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 14, 2021, 06:06 PM »
Thanks guys the big ones from last season, this year so far for bows just some 10-12" range tank scrubbers, I fish with crawlers alot wont leave the house without em, my best advice is try yer best at getting out when you can, Even when its slow and your seriously thinkin bout packin it I have caught some of my best fish on those days. Keep at it and scout while its slower tight lines  :tipup:

Offline Linedogg104

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 14, 2021, 07:59 PM »
Nice catch as always! Great job.
Fishing is easy. Catching is the hard part.

Offline Jack978

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 14, 2021, 08:10 PM »
Fish when you can and enjoy the outdoors.  The point is to enjoy the sport not necessarily to aim to be the most successful.  Nothing wrong with catching fish but if you treat it like a contest with a win/lose mentality you would consider rolling depth charges and miss the peace it can bring.  Get out when you can and the fish will cooperate.

Offline Linedogg104

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 14, 2021, 08:26 PM »
I agree. Fish when you can. Enjoy your time on the hard waters. Catching fish is a huge bonus. They are there you just may have to work at it a little harder. If not throw back a few road sodas and maybe smoke a little hippy spinach your good to go!
Fishing is easy. Catching is the hard part.

Offline catchacold

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 15, 2021, 11:25 AM »
I find the afternoon literally from noon on is when i do my best work with lakers. The afternoon bite is hot until dark. I'm lucky and can often dedicate a whole weekend day to fishing and get out there early, but for the most part most of my bites come in the 1-4pm range. No clue why. But the afternoon is prime time get out there!

Offline Uppervalley Kid

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 15, 2021, 11:27 AM »
All I know is I cant shoot a deer if Im not in the woods and I cant catch a fish if Im not on the water.
....¸><((((º>
.··´¯`·.¸.·><((((º>
·.¸.·´¯`·...¸.·><((((º>

Offline Kourcha

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 15, 2021, 11:39 AM »
All I know is I cant shoot a deer if Im not in the woods and I cant catch a fish if Im not on the water.
this is fact.

Offline dddarnell

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 15, 2021, 12:18 PM »
Beautiful fish

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.