The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Ice conditions great pond Belgrade Maine  (Read 1774 times)

Offline Fishinmaniac1

• IceShanty Rookie
Ice conditions great pond Belgrade Maine
« on: Jan 12, 2021, 07:47 PM »
Heading up next week wondering how much Ice on great pond Belgrade Maine

Offline Global Warming in CT

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Ice conditions great pond Belgrade Maine
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13, 2021, 11:17 AM »
I'm actually wondering the same thing. Heading up this weekend to stay with my brother-in-law for a couple days. I'd ask him for ice conditions but .he's not a fisherman and wouldn't know how to check

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 2021, 11:36 AM »
I went out on Little sebago lake this morn in Gray and drilled two holes and had solid 4" of ice 200yds out from shore. very greasy walking on Rough  not good for skates.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 13, 2021, 12:32 PM »
I'm also wondering where to get bait in the area. Someone mentioned Wild Things in Oakland in an earlier post, but that place has closed for good. Another place (Day's Store) is seasonal. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Offline CAP207

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 13, 2021, 01:15 PM »
Wild Things in Oakland IS open.  He has lots of bait now. 

I drove by Great last Sunday and I could still see open water in the middle.  Not sure what the coves look like.
Born to fish, forced to work!

Offline HighFlyer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 13, 2021, 02:11 PM »
Was out to Great this morning, boat landing cove; 6" of ice (mealy). 5 hrs, no flags. Was targeting pike.
We got some nice large shiners and suckers at Harvest Time Bait in Winslow.
Don't think the main body has enough ice.
Ed

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 13, 2021, 02:31 PM »
Thanks for the replies folks. Apparently I was misinformed about Wild Things. I spoke to the guy at Harvest Bait on the phone today and he was helpful. My brother's place is on a cove that's 5-8 feet deep so hopefully the ice is good. I'd think it would be a good spot for pike but I guess I'll find out. I'm hoping to get him interested in ice fishing now that he lives on a lake in Maine.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 19, 2021, 08:31 AM »
Here's a one-sentence recap on my weekend in Belgrade: Great Pond got the better of me.
I set tipups in three different areas/depths over three days. Got some great bait from Harvest Bait, so I used a variety of different sized goldens and suckers, and a few dead baits (much better bait than I can get in CT). On Saturday in the rain, I got one flag and had a chewed up shiner. On Sunday, one flag with a missing sucker. In 3+ hours on Monday morning, no flags at all. I jigged about 100 holes anywhere from 7' to 25' and didn't mark a single fish over the three days. Not sure how to explain the lack of action. Maybe all the rain on Saturday stirred up the water too much...?
It was great to be out because local ice is nonexistent for me, but it was a painfully slow and frustrating weekend. The only silver lining is that I now have some nice dead baits to use if/when I fish for pike in CT. I guess it's going to take me longer than one weekend to figure out Great Pond.

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 19, 2021, 08:58 AM »
Here's a one-sentence recap on my weekend in Belgrade: Great Pond got the better of me.
I set tipups in three different areas/depths over three days. Got some great bait from Harvest Bait, so I used a variety of different sized goldens and suckers, and a few dead baits (much better bait than I can get in CT). On Saturday in the rain, I got one flag and had a chewed up shiner. On Sunday, one flag with a missing sucker. In 3+ hours on Monday morning, no flags at all. I jigged about 100 holes anywhere from 7' to 25' and didn't mark a single fish over the three days. Not sure how to explain the lack of action. Maybe all the rain on Saturday stirred up the water too much...?
It was great to be out because local ice is nonexistent for me, but it was a painfully slow and frustrating weekend. The only silver lining is that I now have some nice dead baits to use if/when I fish for pike in CT. I guess it's going to take me longer than one weekend to figure out Great Pond.

Welcome to life in the Belgrade Lakes! ;D

Offline Linedogg104

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 19, 2021, 09:24 AM »
Persistence my friend! You'll get it!  If it were easy everyone would do it and then it would be called catching!
Fishing is easy. Catching is the hard part.

Offline nbourque

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fish or die
« Reply #10 on: Jan 19, 2021, 11:14 AM »
Great has some big pike but it can be a slow pond.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.