The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Moosehead Lake Beaver Cove  (Read 4723 times)

Offline Fishon-

• IceShanty Rookie
Moosehead Lake Beaver Cove
« on: Jan 06, 2021, 12:47 PM »
Headed to Moosehead Feb 4-7, rented a place on lake lane in Beaver Cove. Was looking for any helpful information in regards to targeting lakers and brookies. Also if it may be worth it to shoot over to Black point, looked like the best structure on the depth map.

Offline tkmoney_99

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Moosehead Lake Beaver Cove
« Reply #1 on: Jan 07, 2021, 10:42 AM »
We have fished it a few times. Hit or miss (Usually more misses than hits). It gets pounded pretty hard. If ice permits I would venture to other parts of the lake. Sugar Island area should give you a chance to catch Togue,Brookies and Salmon. I am sure there are more with more knowledge of the lake that can help........crickets.. .....lol
Can't catch em on your couch.

Offline Fishon-

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 07, 2021, 10:52 AM »
Yeah a little quiet in here lol. Thank you for the reply, we have one snowmobile for 5 guys so going to far could prove challenging.

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 07, 2021, 11:44 AM »
It will be a challenge to get 5 guys out of Beaver Cove on one sled, but you should try if possible. Trailer to the Lilly Bay launch if you can, it will shorten the run to deeper, less heavily pressured water around Sugar Island. I like the south and west shore. Be aware that you can't ice fish a large area between Lilly Bay and Sugar Island (new rule).

Anywhere there are humps or dropoffs near deep water are a good place to target togue, the lake has a lot of them. Find humps 30-40 feet and there will probably be some togue lurking. Brookies are hit and miss, shallow water around rocks or a stream is a good place to look. It's a big lake so what looks like a small area on a chart can be pretty big.

Offline Fishon-

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 08, 2021, 07:41 AM »
thank you for your reply, we can make a couple trips and get to the S/W side Sugar island pretty easily. We also want to get into the cusk, i assume those can be targeted in the same area as the lakers? Do they feed much during the day this that time of the year?

Offline tkmoney_99

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 08, 2021, 09:08 AM »
It will be a challenge to get 5 guys out of Beaver Cove on one sled, but you should try if possible. Trailer to the Lilly Bay launch if you can, it will shorten the run to deeper, less heavily pressured water around Sugar Island. I like the south and west shore. Be aware that you can't ice fish a large area between Lilly Bay and Sugar Island (new rule).

Anywhere there are humps or dropoffs near deep water are a good place to target togue, the lake has a lot of them. Find humps 30-40 feet and there will probably be some togue lurking. Brookies are hit and miss, shallow water around rocks or a stream is a good place to look. It's a big lake so what looks like a small area on a chart can be pretty big.

They also rent sleds right in Greenville. Might be worth chipping in on one for the three days. Support the local guys if you can!
Can't catch em on your couch.

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 08, 2021, 10:49 AM »
thank you for your reply, we can make a couple trips and get to the S/W side Sugar island pretty easily. We also want to get into the cusk, i assume those can be targeted in the same area as the lakers? Do they feed much during the day this that time of the year?

The lake is filthy with cusk, although most are smallish. I haven't targeted them during the day, always at dusk or dark. I use tipups and lights for them, it's just fun. I don't know about the bite this time of year, I do it whenever the spirit moves and am happy if I get a couple. I believe they move shallower later in the year.

Good suggestion tkmoney, only problem might be ice thickness. Not building fast at the moment.

Offline Fishon-

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 08, 2021, 11:03 AM »
Thanks for the replies guys, i actually did rent the sled and house from northern outfitters, big supporter of local commerce. They aren't exactly cheap to rent so was hoping to only pay for 1 lol.

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 08, 2021, 11:04 AM »
You might be able to catch cusk right in front of your rental at night. Have a brewski, check lines, repeat. @)

Offline Fishon-

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 08, 2021, 11:06 AM »
Thats a wonderful sounding idea!!!

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 08, 2021, 12:02 PM »
Ive caught a lot of cusk in day time,  more on a cloudy day, good stinky bait on bottom

Offline Fishon-

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 11, 2021, 11:19 AM »
So im deciding between south west corner of sugar island or off black point. Please cast your votes lol

Offline 413iceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 11, 2021, 12:14 PM »
I've hit the random Cusk on Moosehead fishing during the day...You think your line is snagged then you pull up this alien of a fish that tastes great!

Offline Fishon-

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 11, 2021, 01:35 PM »
lol never caught one, i hear they taste great so id like to get into a few

Offline darby74

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 11, 2021, 02:15 PM »
I rented a place in Beaver cove probably 8 years ago, and we put traps out at night.  We would catch quite a few (I think 15 over 2 nights) but as previously said, they were all around 1lb.  We had one that was in the 3lb range, but something stole it off the porch when we went to check the traps again.  Could have been a 2 legged creature for all we knew....made for a good laugh though.

Offline Wago14

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 11, 2021, 09:18 PM »
Both Black Point and Sugar should produce some fish. I would try and get to Sugar ice permitting (avoid the closed area to fishing and the narrows always has open water in the middle). I've fished both and had better luck off Sugar, but have caught fish off Black Point as well. If you are serious about cusk fishing get out of Beaver cove a bit as it is loaded with tiny ones. Beginning of Feb is a bit early but 20' of water for cusk produces well later in the year and in the right spots 3-6lb cusk all evening isn't uncommon.

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 12, 2021, 06:13 AM »
in the right spots 3-6lb cusk all evening isn't uncommon.

That is the trick, isn't it? The old "right spot".  :thumbsup: :icefish:  ;D

Offline Fishon-

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 12, 2021, 07:53 AM »
Thank you for the responses, as it relates to Sugar Island, which area is closed? Id like concentrate on the SW side as it is closest to where we are staying.

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 12, 2021, 08:54 AM »
The closed area is new, between Lilly Bay and Sugar Island. I haven't been over there to look for markers. It's described in the special regulations for Moosehead Lake. There's also a new slot length for Brookies.

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 12, 2021, 08:56 AM »
Someone said they heard tw Snowmobiles went tru ice at Moosehead????

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 12, 2021, 08:59 AM »
Haven't heard that yet, but I was afraid it would happen.  :( Light snow fell last night hiding the bad areas. After the last couple years, people are used to getting on the lake by now.

Offline Linedogg104

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Jan 12, 2021, 11:15 AM »
There always seems to be a few a year that go through.
Fishing is easy. Catching is the hard part.

Offline Wago14

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 12, 2021, 11:49 AM »
Yes, 2 sleds have gone through, one was luckily just in 4 feet of water.

See the image for the closed area as if this year.

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Jan 12, 2021, 11:51 AM »
Did everybody get out ok?

Offline Fishon-

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jan 12, 2021, 12:04 PM »
thank you for that photo, super helpful

Offline sploke

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 12, 2021, 08:02 PM »
I stayed at the Big Moose Lodge rental each year for the past 3-4 years right in the cove there.  Fishing was hit or miss, mostly miss.  We were there in mid Jan.  My buddy caught a monster brookie coming through there, but other than that it was pretty unremarkable fishing.  Even busted fishing cusk, which is usually a guarantee at night.  We were on foot so traveling was limited.  We walked straight out to Treasure Island one day to fish, hoping that submerged ridge would provide some action, but that didn't help much either.  We tried to get out toward black point one day but it was just too far a hike for some of the folks in our group, so we ended up right over the 50' area at the north end of that ridge.  We had some luck with togue there but nothing spectactular.  Agree with the comments that unless you're traveling fast and light, sleds are going to be your best bet to get to some promising locations.
-Matt

Offline Fishon-

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Jan 13, 2021, 07:10 AM »
thank you for your detailed response splake. I have bitten the bullet and rented a second snowmobile so getting out of the cove will definitely will happen.

Offline LINGUINI

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Jan 14, 2021, 07:01 PM »
I have a friend that lives in Greenville . he said that a lot of people have gone through this year

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Jan 14, 2021, 07:10 PM »
Water table is still down ,so lakes are still rising which will make a lot of larger lakes around shores and narrows areas un safe all winter.

Offline Fishon-

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Jan 15, 2021, 07:24 AM »
Grrrreeeatttt.......

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.