The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: HELP  (Read 4339 times)

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: HELP
« Reply #30 on: Jan 07, 2021, 08:38 AM »
i still have 2 old mod. 30 jiffys . one i bought new 2 yrs. before tecumseh went out of bussiness. the other o got for $75 from my wifes uncle. its the stick side design and its early 80's but the thing looks new. both run great but ive gone to the 40v strikemaster but when the ice has 2 layers and over 2ft thick only them old jiffys will get it done. why ill never get rid of them. i too leave one in my permanent.

Jiffy used to provide the handle conversion for the old one arm bandits Steve, not sure if the still do or not.  Smart to hang onto for the conditions you guys in the north routinely face that battery and propane wont cut the mustard on, it will always go. @)

Offline JDK

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Jan 07, 2021, 10:15 AM »
Smart to hang onto for the conditions you guys in the north routinely face that battery and propane wont cut the mustard on, it will always go. @)

Having fished central Maine a bit more the last few years, the differences in conditions is amazing.

I'm just here to read what all the experts have to say.

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Jan 07, 2021, 03:16 PM »
I haven't found anything that my 40 volt Strikemaster won't drill through. Multiple layers of ice, water and slush don't faze it.

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Jan 07, 2021, 03:37 PM »
It sure is nice to use battery drill. No carrying  heavy auger, no gas can, My k-drill  drills tru 2' of ice no problem . its just necessary to lift out slush every 3 to 4"  because of the light  fins.

Offline Linedogg104

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Jan 07, 2021, 05:41 PM »
I'm pretty sure I want an electric one now. Use it to mix my cocktails for me ;D
Fishing is easy. Catching is the hard part.

Offline MarkNFish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Jan 08, 2021, 08:12 AM »
I often hear guys say that they like their battery powered drills, but keep a Jiffy on hand as a back-up "just in case."  If you need a back-up, why not just have the back-up?  I'm sure the battery augers are great under certain conditions, but as others have already said, nothing beats the blat of an old Jiffy at zero-dark thirty on a cold, calm morning @)

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Jan 08, 2021, 08:19 AM »
Ive had 4 jiffies and i finally sold them all. No gas or motor problems , and now i can carry more tackle ,and i can hear whats going on around me.  I felt bad after i sold them because of the facy of passing on a un wanted problem to people like you

Offline Steve H.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Jan 08, 2021, 09:13 AM »
I felt bad after i sold them because of the facy of passing on a un wanted problem to people like you

Don't feel bad.   ;D

Funny, last Jiffy I bought was second-hand from an old timer down the road from you in Falmouth.  Now I'm running a Milwaukee/LiteFlite setup and couldn't be happier.

Offline Bourbon and Bass

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Jan 08, 2021, 09:35 AM »
Ive had 4 jiffies and i finally sold them all. No gas or motor problems , and now i can carry more tackle ,and i can hear whats going on around me.  I felt bad after i sold them because of the facy of passing on a un wanted problem to people like you
"Caveat Emptor"  ;D

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Jan 08, 2021, 09:54 AM »
"Caveat Emptor"  ;D Less drinking ,  ( more Jigging)

Offline Moosemonster

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Jan 08, 2021, 07:01 PM »
If trappee jjm doesn't need that bit id be interested. How much? Is the blade detachable? Also what shape is it in.

I have the entire shaft with the blade on it. PM me if you are interested.

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Jan 09, 2021, 04:24 PM »
Jiffy used to provide the handle conversion for the old one arm bandits Steve, not sure if the still do or not.  Smart to hang onto for the conditions you guys in the north routinely face that battery and propane wont cut the mustard on, it will always go. @)
i looked around and the conversion kits, if you can find them, are stupid expensive. 1st. auger i ever used was a stick handle that dad had. drilled with it 20yrs and never broke my wrist but ol' man taught us to keep it against our leg and if it bound up just let the damned thing go! ;)

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Jan 09, 2021, 04:27 PM »
Having fished central Maine a bit more the last few years, the differences in conditions is amazing.
i agree Jay. night and day from fishing up here. did you hear some guy went thru on his sled near pelletier island yesterday? lucky he was only in 5ft. of water. only 3in. at the sporting club.

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Jan 09, 2021, 04:44 PM »
Close to shore there will be a lot of sink in shallow water . Water still rising on some lakes , Very important to fish with a friend that knows the area, Not a good time to let someone riding around with out showing them the danger areas!!!!

Offline AT Grimaldi

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Why does my 13 yr old always out fish me?
« Reply #44 on: Jan 09, 2021, 06:24 PM »
I have had a few Jiffys over the past 10 years.  where I fish, it doesn't' get that cold where I need the gas, and am grateful for the weight savings, leverage of my existing tools and batteries, and now all cordless drill with the K Drill.  I traded my three augers to Dag's and was able to get a K Drill plus some other gear.  Besides, my 10 yr old can now drill the holes for me all day long.  :)

BTW, if you ever need professional help with that Jiffy, I highly recommend Dylan from Dag's Bait.  He has treated me very well over the years.

- ATG
Vintage Frabill Ice Shuttle with modifications
K-Drill with M18 Milwaukee Drill
Jack Traps rule the world of hardwater!
Marcum LX-7LI Lithium Combo Sonar System
ATG Custom Smelt Jigging Boards
ATG Custom Jigs
Arctic Armor Suit
Mr. Buddy
Shappell 3000
.....and no time.

Offline Fish Wayniac

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Jan 10, 2021, 10:54 AM »
I have the 10" yellow jiffy posted, nearly 30 years, could have been the year came out even, $300 brand new.  I think it has seen two plugs and new blade once.  Probably drilled a million holes, with tru fuel it just starts and goes every time, every year. @)

I also have the Jiffy Legend. Ever since I switched to True Fuel it runs even better. It’s more $ but worth every
Drop. My buddy just bought a K- drill and those work great and not as heavy. Someday I will make the switch .🥶

Offline Wago14

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #46 on: Jan 12, 2021, 07:58 PM »
Jiffy's will always have their place and I still have 2. Its funny how quickly people get the newest equipment and turn against the tried and true so quickly like you are a Neanderthal for still using it. Don't get me wrong, the electric/drill augers are awesome lighter and require less maintenance, buts lets be real the ole Jiffy's got us here and still cant be beat in 2+ feet of ice.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.