The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: HELP  (Read 4340 times)

Offline trapperjim

• Team IceShanty Regular
HELP
« on: Jan 05, 2021, 04:56 PM »
Hello there can anyone help ive always owned white jiffy model 30 augers so i picked up a used one last year and i want to get it ready oh and its yellow lol. Any help would be great i will post pics. Guess im having trouble posting so its a 3 hp tecumseh jiffy legend and i cant seem to find any info Thank you

Offline snow snake

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: HELP
« Reply #1 on: Jan 05, 2021, 05:03 PM »
 Have you tried  Jiffy .com     
Manuals - Jiffy Ice Drillswww.jiffyonice.c om › Operating-Manuals
any good small engine repair shops near you for information on your engine
snowsnake

Offline sab

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 05, 2021, 06:03 PM »
Ya the manual  is on the website , nice find.  If you get stuck repost and I can send you a copy of mine .. wonder what the difference is white vs yellow.  Not sure if I can attach

Offline kaseyj5678

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 05, 2021, 06:04 PM »
I can't think of one reason why anyone would use a gas auger these days. Are you having issues getting yours to run? Fresh ethanol free fuel and a new spark plug should do the trick if she turns over at all. Good Luck!

Offline sab

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 05, 2021, 06:06 PM »
What? Model 30 is the best Ice drill Jiffy ever made

Offline Moosemonster

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 05, 2021, 06:15 PM »
I have an extra 8” drill for the Jiffy 30 if interested, and I agree, I ran one for 10 years with zero issues.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline sab

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 05, 2021, 06:37 PM »
Moosemonster - did you ever grease it? There's a big gear under the engine ..thinking of taking it apart, getting a new gasket off season.

Offline Moosemonster

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 05, 2021, 06:43 PM »
Yes I would take it apart before each season and grease the gear, also replaced the carb seal a couple of times. Other than that normal maintenance and it worked great.

Offline sab

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 05, 2021, 07:16 PM »
thanks

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 05, 2021, 07:28 PM »
After a few years of maintence and expense you will realize how much nicer in expense and labor lugging a jiffy around  .That when you buy a K drill or simlar with a portable drill like a Millwaukee no more lugging around gas and oil , and no more noise.

Offline DrummerManDrew

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 05, 2021, 07:34 PM »
Those little jiffy motors are cool and not bad. The electric stuff is nice too but sometime people can’t/don’t want to buy that route. I currently use a power head from a summer project I had going on with a fence project and a 10” bit. Just being humble at my best lol. Either way, I throw too much money into it and have for sure this year. Maybe next year I get a fancy auger or decide to get an old jiffy 30. Either way when I’m on the ice, it feels like all my other “in mind” items go away!
Be well and DO Good Work!

Offline Linedogg104

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 05, 2021, 08:30 PM »
I've been running a jiffy 30 for 25 years and have had zero issues with it. I know there's newer more efficient but I'll take it any day.
Fishing is easy. Catching is the hard part.

Offline Icecoast

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 05, 2021, 09:30 PM »
I have an extra 8” drill for the Jiffy 30 if interested, and I agree, I ran one for 10 years with zero issues.

If trappee jjm doesn't need that bit id be interested. How much? Is the blade detachable? Also what shape is it in.

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 06, 2021, 07:34 AM »
Ive had 4 Jiffys over the past 50years , Now with my K-drill and Millaukee with 5ah batteries  no more heavy auger no ,gas, no noise  no stink ,no scareing off fish. when i drill my holes.

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 06, 2021, 08:15 AM »
I have the 10" yellow jiffy posted, nearly 30 years, could have been the year came out even, $300 brand new.  I think it has seen two plugs and new blade once.  Probably drilled a million holes, with tru fuel it just starts and goes every time, every year. @)

Offline Sluggo65

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 06, 2021, 08:23 AM »
I too have run a Jiffy for ever and grew up fishing with my Dad and his before then. Just made the switch this year to electric because I fish alone a lot now and the White Lightning can be a beast when you are hole-hopping. I am excited to try the new set up but I am wondering - do you guys who fish electric miss the sound of the old Jiffys ripping across the ice at dawn?
Is it making ice yet?

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 06, 2021, 08:32 AM »
do you guys who fish electric miss the sound of the old Jiffys ripping across the ice at dawn?

I wonder the same thing.  Nothing beats the smell of a two stoke and cracking a cold one as the sun comes over the horizon on a cold still morning!  @) @) ;D

Offline mainefishpig

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 06, 2021, 08:39 AM »
I have used a jiffy 30 all my life and love it.  I mad the mistake and left ethanol gas in the tank and screwed up the carb bad.  Had to have new carburetor kit .  Never do that again.  I just drill holes in my shack and a few outside the shack.  I leave it in the shack so I don’t have to transporter every time and yes they are a lot heavier than the new style but it works for me.  Someday new updated one . 

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 06, 2021, 09:12 AM »
I too have run a Jiffy for ever and grew up fishing with my Dad and his before then. Just made the switch this year to electric because I fish alone a lot now and the White Lightning can be a beast when you are hole-hopping. I am excited to try the new set up but I am wondering - do you guys who fish electric miss the sound of the old Jiffys ripping across the ice at dawn?

I never liked the sound to begin with, so I definitely won't miss the day the gas augers go the way of the dodo. 😂

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 06, 2021, 09:16 AM »

No I always hated the sound of a gas auger. Then again I don't fish where you need one generally. To much in needed noise if you ask me
If you sit around all day and do nothing your a bum, but if you sit in a boat all day or in a shanty and do nothing they call you a fisherman

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 06, 2021, 09:27 AM »

No I always hated the sound of a gas auger. Then again I don't fish where you need one generally. To much in needed noise if you ask me

Same here. I always just shake my head a bit when I see someone lug one out to punch through 5" of ice.

Offline SilverSides

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A bad day fishing is better than any day at work!
« Reply #22 on: Jan 06, 2021, 09:33 AM »
I wonder the same thing.  Nothing beats the smell of a two stoke and cracking a cold one as the sun comes over the horizon on a cold still morning!  @) @) ;D
Who does this any more  ??? ::) :o

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Jan 06, 2021, 09:54 AM »
When im out on a lake i like to hear the Pileated woodpeckers in a distance and other wild life calling.  I enjoy having more room in my sled and less weight . Now i carry a lot of Tungsten jigs, and walking back  a lot of extra weight of fish,

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 06, 2021, 10:05 AM »
Who does this any more  ??? ::) :o

LMAO. ;D ;D  Give me a second Glenn and I'm sure I can find some old pictures of you and Pat. ;D  :blink: :blink: :woot: :woot:

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Jan 06, 2021, 10:15 AM »
Same here. I always just shake my head a bit when I see someone lug one out to punch through 5" of ice.

Up until 2 years ago we hand drilled everything and we would be in 12 inches of ice drilling through in 30-40 seconds by hand listening to gas augers thinking damn we just punched 4 holes and they just got that thing running
If you sit around all day and do nothing your a bum, but if you sit in a boat all day or in a shanty and do nothing they call you a fisherman

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Jan 06, 2021, 10:34 AM »

I shake my head when they use an electric auger including a cordless drill adaptor for 5 inches of ice. It's just as easy to hand crank a sharp Nils through  ice thinner than a foot.

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Jan 06, 2021, 10:49 AM »
I shake my head when they use an electric auger including a cordless drill adaptor for 5 inches of ice. It's just as easy to hand crank a sharp Nils through  ice thinner than a foot.
I actually have just bought my first drill adapter last week. I've only ever owned hand augers, even when I was in northern MN. My shoulders are getting bad enough drilling a handful of holes in 8-10" of ice feels like someone beat them with a tire iron. Went with the drill setup over a dedicated electric for early and late ice, or so I can still use it by hand if the drill craps out on me.  Figure I'll use it by hand up to 6" of ice or so, then drill if it's thicker.

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Jan 06, 2021, 11:32 AM »

I use a drill because I have the set up for it. I'm not gunna keep taking auger off drill to use hand auger. One charged battery and 12 hours of fun I'll use the drill every time still much quieter than gas

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Jan 07, 2021, 08:04 AM »
i still have 2 old mod. 30 jiffys . one i bought new 2 yrs. before tecumseh went out of bussiness. the other o got for $75 from my wifes uncle. its the stick side design and its early 80's but the thing looks new. both run great but ive gone to the 40v strikemaster but when the ice has 2 layers and over 2ft thick only them old jiffys will get it done. why ill never get rid of them. i too leave one in my permanent.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.