The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Any Ice Updates  (Read 3874 times)

Offline METIPPIN

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got Ice?
Any Ice Updates
« on: Jan 20, 2006, 10:58 AM »
With this warm weather today and rain and warm weather tommorrow. Just wanted to know if anyone had been out. I would imagine we have lost quite a bit of ice.

Offline bbpinecone

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Any Ice Updates
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2006, 11:48 AM »
Around 5 or 6 inches of good ice on St. George yesterday afternoon in front of the Rt. 3 ramp.  Ice was a little broken up along the shoreline, but you could get out there easy enough.  Hopefully winter will return soon!!

Offline METIPPIN

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got Ice?
« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2006, 02:19 PM »
I just went out and checked Snow Pond looks like 8-10" in front of the music camp and Sidney boat landing Looks like I will get out or hit St George for some brookies.

Offline Mike G

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 20, 2006, 03:16 PM »
That's good news!  I was hoping you'd go out and check it for me   :clap: :clap:
I'm headed out tomorrow a.m. for a few hours and then all day Sunday.  Gotta check the weather too.  Hate rain!

Offline METIPPIN

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got Ice?
« Reply #4 on: Jan 21, 2006, 10:15 AM »
mikeG let me know where you will be on Sunday I took today off for some honey do list chores. She keeps giving me crap beacause we are trying to plan a wedding and I am fishing all the time. I have a feeling today I will be the new poster boy for the Bud Light stuntman commericals Hope you hitem hard today

Offline smeltshack

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • You tell em im coming and my vex is coming with me
« Reply #5 on: Jan 21, 2006, 12:39 PM »
Fished Norway lake today from 7:00am-Noon. 10 Solid inches of ice and 1" of hard white ice. Had no water on the ice until 11:00am and then it was very very little. Saw a 24" pickeral caught and a nice 16" salmon caught just before we left.

Offline gonefishin2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 21, 2006, 01:06 PM »
Megunticook is out almost to the island narrows off Rt. 52, heavy winds from the south is pushing more out now.  Nortons looks ok I saw some people out up there today on my way sea duck hunting.
When sliding down the banister of life may the splinters be facing the right way!

Offline nbourque

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fish or die
« Reply #7 on: Jan 21, 2006, 03:22 PM »
I'd like to know about Pleasant pond in Richmond if anyone has any info about ice conditions.....

Offline Countyiceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 21, 2006, 08:47 PM »
16 inches up Millinocket way.
Whenever someone caught a fish...my Uncle David always shouted..."THROW IT BACK TO IT"S MOTHER!!"  I can hear that echoing across the frozen lake now!

Offline Sir Landsalot

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 21, 2006, 10:26 PM »
Any word on Sabattus?   :-\

Offline Marsh

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tools of the Trade
« Reply #10 on: Jan 22, 2006, 07:35 AM »
dont know the exact ice conditions there but a buddy of mine is fishing out there right now so it must be somewhat safe.
Marsh

Offline BillB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 22, 2006, 07:43 AM »
Marsh, buddy? What kind of guy goes to fish Sabbattus and leaves his buddy at home to "fish" on the puter? :D

Offline Bluefinforme

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 22, 2006, 07:44 AM »
Any word on Sabattus?   :-\
I was there yesturday.....had to jump the edge.....5-8 inches of ice in spots with a few holes here and there....water on top, but it's prob frozen now.....no wheelers or sleds on the ice

Offline Marsh

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tools of the Trade
« Reply #13 on: Jan 22, 2006, 10:44 AM »
bill he called me this morning but i was sound asleep  ;D
Marsh

Offline Poorboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 22, 2006, 04:33 PM »
Lucerne has opened up again near RT 1.  And, not surprisingly, Mt. Desert Island waters are ready for trolling.  Looks like late April down there.

Offline Sir Landsalot

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 22, 2006, 05:22 PM »
Sabattus is fine, once you get off shore.  The boat launch wasn't useable today, but better out on Martin's point itself.  A foot or two of open water right against shore, but an easy jump...plenty of wheelers finding spots safe enough to get across.  Should be no problem tomorrow, but some of us have to work   >:(

Offline ifishhi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 22, 2006, 05:42 PM »
marannacook 9" watch the shore. sleds and wheelers out there though

M.P.H.C. freedomfighter #000004

Offline Mike G

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #17 on: Jan 23, 2006, 10:28 AM »
mikeG let me know where you will be on Sunday I took today off for some honey do list chores. She keeps giving me crap beacause we are trying to plan a wedding and I am fishing all the time. I have a feeling today I will be the new poster boy for the Bud Light stuntman commericals Hope you hitem hard today

Only got out for the last couple of hours on Sunday.  Needed some fresh air  ;D
I got a couple perch and 5 crappie jigging and a smallie on a trap.  That was it.  Pretty slow.  10 inches of good ice though.
This snow will help, now I can use the snowmobile to move around a bit.  Give me a shout and we'll hook up this weekend.

Offline pegasus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THINK ICE
« Reply #18 on: Jan 23, 2006, 10:48 AM »
Branch Lake had 6 to 7 inches of ice. Up above the narrows in the deeper water there were whitecaps yesterday. Where there was current the water was open. Next to shore and around the rock had broken ice and open water. Echo Lake, on MDI, has about an inch of ice. Where the cracks open up during the warm spell the southwest winds pushed them together causing small pressure ridges. As the wind was blowing yesterday, it was forcing the water under ice making it look like the tide was coming in. I hope this snow coming today is light and will blow off the lake so that it will freeze better. I don't think I can remember seeing so much open water in January.
Steve

Offline nbourque

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fish or die
« Reply #19 on: Jan 23, 2006, 11:42 AM »
Pleasant pond in Richmond has 6-7" of ice everywhere. Edges are still rough.

Offline saltyshores

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 24, 2006, 08:11 PM »
Lakes near the coast in Downeast Maine have lots of open water and lots of icy looking treacherous spots. Walker Pond in Brooksville is mostly ice-free; so is Jones Pond in Gouldsboro. Flanders Pond in Sullivan has ice by the landing but holes in it, plus all around the islands and nearly to the northwestern shore is wide open with whitecaps. Even Mopang Lake north of the Airline has openwater in the widest part north of the landing. Bog Lake in Northfield has open water by the island, so does Indian Lake in Whiting. Gardner Lake in East Machias has a few hundred acres of open water. I travelled a big loop through Washington and Hancock Counties today and saw that most inlets had fingers of openwater that extended from 50 feet to 1/4 mile out into the lake.

Offline ifishhi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 24, 2006, 08:17 PM »
any ic eon green or branch

M.P.H.C. freedomfighter #000004

Offline me0nat0

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 25, 2006, 06:05 AM »
Green has ice, but I wouldn't trust it over the deep hole.  Up in the narrows or the shallow half of the lake should be fine. I saw a few guys fishing out front of Jenkins beach the other day, but they only got about 25 yds off the shore.
I live my life by one basic tenet: big fish eat little fish.

Offline moosehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Jan 25, 2006, 07:17 AM »
can,t remember such a lousy year for good ice. maybe this globel warming thing is to blame.what happened to the 3 ft of ice we had a few years back that you needed an extension for the auger?

Offline WhiteGameHunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Born to fish!!
« Reply #24 on: Jan 25, 2006, 01:53 PM »
Just was wondering if anybody knows how the ice is on Great Pond.

Offline me0nat0

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 25, 2006, 05:08 PM »
Which Great Pond?  If you're talking about Hancock County, haven't been there but I know Alligator right up the road has solid 8 inches, probably more in places, so being smaller and shallower I'd assume Great Pond is fishable once on the ice as well, might be some openings near shore though.
I live my life by one basic tenet: big fish eat little fish.

Offline WhiteGameHunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Born to fish!!
« Reply #26 on: Jan 25, 2006, 05:28 PM »
O sorry I was talking about the one in the belgrade area.

Offline nitro04106

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Jan 25, 2006, 05:52 PM »
7 out on high land in westbrook/falmouth watch out for springs theres a bunch.. hoping to hit it this week...

Offline Mike G

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #28 on: Jan 25, 2006, 05:52 PM »
O sorry I was talking about the one in the belgrade area.
you need to still watch out for inlets/outlets on Great Pond, but the coves are ok.  Last weekend on North Bay the ice was locked in but a bit sketchy.  Stay away from the narrows by Hoyts Island too.  It'll all lock in later when we get some good cold Maine weather, but for now - be careful.

Offline mrangler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Jan 25, 2006, 06:20 PM »
anyone know the latest on how the ice on Sebattus or Pleasant Pond looks around the shoreline?  Is it safe for a wheeler, thinking about heading there on Sunday.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.