Author Topic: What is the weirdest "thing" you have caught through the ice?  (Read 8178 times)

Offline Mooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hey Smitty, Lets fish it! Jigmaster5000's oarman
Re: What is the weirdest "thing" you have caught through the ice?
« Reply #60 on: Jan 07, 2008, 02:09 PM »
my best story is of the thing we TRIED to catch and COULDN't!!!
years ago, shared a permanent shack with a buddy for a day. he dropped a full, unopened 40OZ bottle of JACK down the hole!!!! :o :o
he spent the entire day trying to hook and retrieve it. being round, it was not going to work. while we filled our walleye limits, he got skunked and never was able to get the bottle back!!! too funny!!!! ;D

I always make it a point to drink just enough out of each bottle so they float just before punchin holes.  That way if they do get through my hands they hang out in the hole.

In pursuit of meat without feet!!!!

Offline Wild-man

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #61 on: Jan 07, 2008, 03:56 PM »
that's a great veteran piece of advice mooter!!!!
you are obviously a veteran whiskey drinker/ ice fisher!!! ;)
Never Met a Fish I Didn't Like...

Offline walleye tattoo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wisconsin chapter
« Reply #62 on: Jan 07, 2008, 04:01 PM »
An ax a hand ax I saved it is still laying around here somewhere.

Live to fish forced to work

Offline Mooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hey Smitty, Lets fish it! Jigmaster5000's oarman
« Reply #63 on: Jan 07, 2008, 04:01 PM »
that's a great veteran piece of advice mooter!!!!
you are obviously a veteran whiskey drinker/ ice fisher!!! ;)

True true.  2 weeks ago I dropped a new bottle of Crown after walking 1 mile to get it.  I was on my way back and it slipped out of my hands.  Took me a half an hour pickin the glass up and another half an hour to quite crying.  Man I was a hero after I got back to the fishin hole with no booze.

In pursuit of meat without feet!!!!

Offline KingFisher1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #64 on: Jan 07, 2008, 04:03 PM »
True true.  2 weeks ago I dropped a new bottle of Crown after walking 1 mile to get it.  I was on my way back and it slipped out of my hands.  Took me a half an hour pickin the glass up and another half an hour to quite crying.  Man I was a hero after I got back to the fishin hole with no booze.
I thought I saw some guys out there licking the ice!!! lol!

Offline elmerross

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Honoeye bullgill; size of a 5 gal pail.
« Reply #65 on: Jan 07, 2008, 06:56 PM »
I CAUGHT A COLD :wacko:

Offline 1luckyguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #66 on: Jan 08, 2008, 11:36 AM »
I had filleted a dozen or so bluegills early in the day and dropped the bodies back down the hole. A few hours later an old guy hooked into one and brought it up. Without missing a beat his buddy fishing with him said "you won't get much meat off of that one." I had tears from laughing so hard. ;D

Offline IrishIce99

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "I am number 1. All others are number 2 or lower."
« Reply #67 on: Jan 08, 2008, 12:56 PM »
I had filleted a dozen or so bluegills early in the day and dropped the bodies back down the hole. A few hours later an old guy hooked into one and brought it up. Without missing a beat his buddy fishing with him said "you won't get much meat off of that one." I had tears from laughing so hard. ;D
Is that legal?
Support local bait and tackle shops --> Jay-Ve <br />   

Offline 1luckyguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #68 on: Jan 08, 2008, 03:33 PM »
I'm pretty sure it is in my state (IA). Maybe not in yours (NY).

Offline perchindude123

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Fish-Whisperer"
« Reply #69 on: Jan 08, 2008, 03:36 PM »
im not sure in ny but i dont think so. ive seen several people doin that in lake erie and up in lake simcoe

Offline KingFisher1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #70 on: Jan 08, 2008, 04:20 PM »
It is illegal in NY

Offline Koffee Kat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #71 on: Jan 08, 2008, 04:50 PM »
I caught a Pike in the Yukon once with 5 baby ducks in it's stomach...  Must have chopped up the line following mother duck.  A friend of mine also caught a pike with another pike in it's mouth.  He felt pretty good about himself setting the little guy free.  Pike are by far the most fascinating fish in the world & most ill tempered.

"Fishin' for a good time starts with throwin' in your line..." - Tom Waits

Offline perchindude123

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Fish-Whisperer"
« Reply #72 on: Jan 08, 2008, 07:18 PM »
ive caught a bass in a small pond that was about 2-3 lbs and it had a rubber bouncy ball in its stomach.it was almost in perfect condition  ;D

Offline icy mike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nope!
« Reply #73 on: Jan 08, 2008, 07:37 PM »
a 4 inch water beetle in Northern Wisconsin.  It actually set off one of my tipups!  Ugly and wierd looking thing!

Offline Luffy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flag up!
« Reply #74 on: Jan 08, 2008, 08:16 PM »
I "caught" a set of car keys once.  I drilled a hole, then sent my jig to the bottom to test the depth.  There was weight on the line when I reeled up, but didn't feel like a fish; it was a set of car keys   never found the owner

Offline Fishbomb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #75 on: Jan 08, 2008, 08:25 PM »
Hi, new to the Shanty. Great site! I dropped my talkabout radio down the hole in 17ft of water. Watched it settle to the bottom with the red transmit light on. I could see it on the bottom so I got out a big blade bait and tied two #4 trebles to it with a piece of mono and started "fishing" for the radio. "Caught" it after about a minute of jigging. Took it home, dried it out for a couple days. Still works.

Offline WHITETAIL111

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #76 on: Jan 08, 2008, 11:13 PM »
Ok...so we're out icefishing and at the end of the day I pull this one tipup and I can barely move the line off the bottom.  I'm pulling and pulling and it is veeeeeeery slowly coming up.  I'm like what the heck do I have?  Well I get it to the surface and I can see this orange deflated ball below the ice(shiner had tangled in the line around the ball I guess?)....so....I hold the line while my buddy cuts next to the hole with the auger making it bigger we ended up cutting a 2' channel lengthwise as we could see the ball was attached to this black pipe. I initially thought it was coming from someones camp but then realized once I got hold of it that it was coming up.  Well, I end up pulling this section of black plastic pipe about 12-15' long that was just submerged on the bottom for years.  Well we tip the pipe and out comes this 3' long eel out of the pipe at our feet.  Actually scared the crap out of us just coming out the way it did...totally unexpected like that.  Pretty weird all around catch?
That taxidermy man back home gonna have a heart attack when he see what I bring'em!!

Offline BASSandICE65

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Pats!!!!
« Reply #77 on: Jan 09, 2008, 02:41 AM »
Caught a catfish two years running as my first fish of the year. Funny thing is I never catch them during the summer ???

Anyday fishing is better than your best day working!!!!!!!!!

Offline Greenglo_Bob

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • He who has the most toys wins!!!!
« Reply #78 on: Jan 09, 2008, 03:33 AM »
Yesterday I had a rainbow trout take my deadsticked rod n reel down the hole. An hour later I had a hit on another rig 20' away and reeled up the rainbow plus my lost rig which the fish dragged to and entangled  Lol.
He who has the most toys wins!!!!!

Offline KingKool

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lunker Hunter
« Reply #79 on: Jan 09, 2008, 08:42 AM »
Dont know how weird this is but we we snuck onto a local golf course at dusk to fish the ponds for bass when we were in our teens. We were using rubber worms with not much luck. I had to go to the bathroom so i put the rod between my legs and well you know.
Next thing i knew the rod was bending and on the end was a 3lb bass.
Must of been the "shake" that triggered him.. :laugh:

Offline Dull Hooks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #80 on: Jan 09, 2008, 11:18 AM »
When I lived and fished in NH.My dad and I were out enjoying the day,fishing on lake winnisquam.We caught alot of fish just about every species that swims there.But nothing really big except for some nice white and yellow perch that we kept.One of his flags goes up , we could hear the spool spinning in the hole once we got near the hole.We look down and the spool in near empty , he grabs it ans starts pulling in line like a mad mad.I pick up the tipup and start putting line back on it so it didn't tangle all over his feet and in case the fish made another run.He got caught up to it he'd get the leader section just into the hole and the fish would take off.He claimed it felt really good and the way it was acting I thought so too.Finally for who knows how long he's had it on a small crowd starts to wonder and gather around watching this epic battle.The fish finally tires and is coming in , I kneel down next to hole, roll up sleeves ready to grab a monster fish so it didn't break off in the hole.Fish comes in , I reach down and HOOOLLLY **** !!! is all I can say as about a 4ft eel is in the hole.I jump out of the way the crowd is laughing,I'm laughing and my dad pulls it up onto the ice.This thing coiles up all over his line and boots all the time leaving a bunch of slime everywhere.Cut the line and slid the eel back down the hole!!! Had to cut him a new hole to fish in as there was so much slime in the hole that eel came into.Definitly don't want a face to face confrontation with one of those again..LMAO !!!

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #81 on: Jan 09, 2008, 07:05 PM »
okay just got back from a trip and i hooked a trout that was attached to five other trout :o by line and hooks each one had two hooks in it's mouth must've been a sight to see underwater five trout dragged along by the lead one which was actually the smallest of the batch :D :thumbsup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.