Author Topic: What is the weirdest "thing" you have caught through the ice?  (Read 8177 times)

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: What is the weirdest "thing" you have caught through the ice?
« Reply #30 on: Dec 28, 2007, 01:42 AM »
my dad once pulled up a fly rod with a 100$ brass reel and the same day a red sox baseball cap

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
« Reply #31 on: Dec 28, 2007, 03:35 AM »
The weirdest thing icefishing was a lawn chair.  The weirdest thing in open water was a used condom.  We were fishing in Lake Ontario and caught a clump of weeds on a downrigger line.  When we took the weeds off, there it hung on the lure.  Thank god for pliers. 

Offline PERCHPULLER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Perchpuller
« Reply #32 on: Dec 28, 2007, 07:18 AM »
Ya I was wondering that to how do you take a hook out of a live otter
Very carefully ;D
All fishermen are liars except for you and me,and sometimes I wonder about you!

Offline tstegora

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Dec 28, 2007, 08:15 AM »
a buddy and I were fishing on a sunday afternoon and my buddy lost a jig'n stick down the hole, the fallowing tuesday evening we went back out to get a few fish for his mom.
I caught a 4.36lbs. crappie but that wasn't all just before we were loading up I hooked in to what I thought was a good crappie but it turned out to be a 18 inch pike with the jig'n stick still hooked up.
I just love to fish HARD WATER!!!

Offline skidoorider

• IceShanty Rookie
  • cold outside !
« Reply #34 on: Dec 28, 2007, 09:09 AM »
Ok here it is, Are ya ready. Last year i was fishing for lakers, I had a large three barbed red and white with smelt for bait. I had found a nice hole the day before where small lakers were bitting pretty good. The next day i slapped out the same hook, in the same hole. I let it sink all the way to the bottom like always, and as soon as it hit the bottom i yanked it up and BLAAAM felt like a 100 pounder. what ever it was felt pretty well dead. Started to haul it up, WOW it was heavier than a rock. It just barely fit threw the 8 inch hole. It looked pretty well much like a big chunk of rusted metal with little shinny round beads all over it, It looked interesting so i brought it home and cleaned all the rust off it. To my amazement it was a old time carbide drill head with around 80 large carbide tips the size of grapes.The total weight of it was 65 lbs. i took the soap pad to it and got it looking pretty shinny. It sits now on my workbench for all to see. I had a couple of offers from my buddies to buy it, but i think ill keep it for a conversation peace.
i skidoo to my shanty,to long of a walk.

Offline snelly

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my new shanty
« Reply #35 on: Dec 28, 2007, 09:22 AM »
a couple years ago,  me and a buddy of mine were fishing for lakers on schroon lake. My buddy got a flag, started pulling and it felt like a big fish. kept getting it up near the hole and you couldn't pull it out for some reason. after looking down the hole we could see the fish, but there was something caught side ways at the bottom of the hole. reaching down the hole and getting a wet arm I pulled out a 9' flyrod with reel and the hook on the pole was in the mouth of a 25" laker that also had the tipup hook in it's mouth. Took it home, cleaned  up the reel and it worked just fine. A nice laker and a free fishing pole not to bad of a catch.

Offline 1colddude

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Dec 28, 2007, 11:08 AM »
I hooked a long sock with a big rock inside it once. I've always wondered if it was used during a blanket party.

Offline toguefisha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Dec 28, 2007, 11:32 AM »
A "mudpuppy"  might not sound weird to others but I was a bit freaked out when a 10" salamander came up out of the hole.

Offline Argo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Dec 28, 2007, 12:01 PM »
fishing on a pond on our farm and caught a muskrat i was using a orange rubber ball for a bobber,he took my rod down the hole before i could get to it,it was still early season and hadn't had much snow so i was watching my orange bobber through the ice as he swam around.it finally stopped so ran over to mytruck got my auger went back to where i seen my ball and augered a hole beside it reached down and damn if i didn't get it a long with mr.muskrat.got $8 buck's for that rat at the auction. 8)

Offline curtdintc

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Eyes
« Reply #39 on: Dec 28, 2007, 08:19 PM »
The weirdest thing was a Mudpuupy  And a 7' log that fely like a Hog

Sabastein newest addition to the family

Offline FuzzyGrub

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Dec 28, 2007, 09:35 PM »
Wow!!! We have some good responses going.  65lb carbide drill!!!   Lawn chair, fly rods w/fish, a few more critters, Any more?

For open water fishing, I primarily fish a local river.  There is no end to what you can find, catch, or snag in a river.  I had the boat out today, and was slip anchoring and it snagged up.  After a ten minute battle, finally pulled it free from the bottom.  Yellow poly rope was wrapped around the anchor.  One end was tied to some old engine head, and the other to 3 plastic milk jugs filled with stones.  I hope that was for a secret brush pile... No bodies floated to the top anyway. :)

PS: I am an experienced mud puppy angler.  You will get the best effect catching them wading at dusk.  Poor vision, no gloves, and a very slimy creature to get off the hook! 
If it bends my pole, I'm a happy man...

Offline Whitefish Slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Dec 28, 2007, 10:13 PM »

Need I say more... Some of you have seen this before.. This fish came up the hole this way.. If it would have been a bit larger it would not have been caught.. A 4" hole and this fish the exact size swims directly in the hope and gets caught... now if that's not weird................. ....

Offline Naples_Iceman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #42 on: Dec 29, 2007, 05:53 AM »
While fishing Canandaguia lake I caught a nice baitcasting rod on a tipup. I took it to work for show and tell then stuck it in the corner and forgot it. 6 months later a customer was in picking up his car and saw the rod. His eyes got big as he picked it up and showed me his initials, seems he had been bass fishing @ night the year before and threw the rod over board. he was very happy to get it back and still uses it. Figure the odds on that.

Offline spartaman12

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Dec 29, 2007, 08:18 AM »
wow u lasso'd a fish lol.. no but when i was jiggin for some perch i caught a potatoe sack full of rocks and cat bones! i always wondered what happended to fluffy ;D
Another crappie.........yay!

Offline Whitefish Slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Dec 29, 2007, 08:32 AM »
wow u lasso'd a fish lol..

I've lasso'd em before but this guy swam directly in the hole where the leader ties onto to the tipup line. More of a "Catching" without the hook.. I guess we snarred him..

Offline jabers69

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #45 on: Dec 29, 2007, 08:46 AM »
I didnt catch this but guy in the shack next to me  hooked a ham bone . He was hooping he got a  big one and when he  got up it was a ham bone . I just about  wet my pant from laughing at him .
hook and cook

Offline felix

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Dec 29, 2007, 09:15 AM »
A guy I know was eating buffalo style chicken wings and throwing the bones in the hole. Later that day he caught a northern and when it hit the ice it regurgitated a bunch of the bones.

Offline kivva king

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Dec 29, 2007, 09:21 AM »
 A couple of years ago me and my friends were fishing at Winni in NH  for the derby. One of
the guys jigging, hooks into the mother of all fish  :o :OR  so he thinks!!!!!!!!! He reels it up Little and
it"takes out drag and goes back to the bottom"!!! ::) After a short time of this, i can't stand the suspense anymore, so I tell him to stand still so i can look down the hole without getting a 3" Swedish pimple in the forehead!!! What i saw was a small piece of rope!!!! I got my jigging pole and snagged into the same rope and we pulled it in!!!!!!!! It ended up being 50' of rope, 6' of plastic coated chain and an ANCHOR!!! :o :o :o  
We still laugh about it to this day!!!! By the way, the owner of the house that we rent ,had a boat but NO anchor, so you know where that ended up!!!!!!

Offline kivva king

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Dec 29, 2007, 03:59 PM »
And i have pictures if i can find them :D :D

Offline limpbait

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #49 on: Dec 29, 2007, 04:20 PM »
i feel like charlie brown i caught a rock, kind of a flat size of a puck.

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
« Reply #50 on: Dec 29, 2007, 04:47 PM »
a mud cat loks like a parboiled bullhead stung me too!  mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline IrishIce99

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "I am number 1. All others are number 2 or lower."
« Reply #51 on: Dec 30, 2007, 03:32 PM »
I made a thread about this video, for those of you that haven't seen it yet.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIyrS0BCvb0&feature=related
Support local bait and tackle shops --> Jay-Ve <br />   

Offline canthookit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Dec 30, 2007, 11:34 PM »
I caught a 4lb largemouth with half of it's jaw missing with two crayfish & a jig hanging out of it's throat.

I've never been so grossed out by a fish...
cant hook it! have to be honest!! looking for used underwater camera & older snowmobile in the MA area.

Offline bigchev98

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Nothing like some fun on the ice!
« Reply #53 on: Jan 06, 2008, 03:11 PM »
i know this is an older topic but i thought of this thread and maybe i would make someone laugh today! flag popped grabbed the line, felt some tension and then this is what i brought up  :embarassed:  you got to watch out for those stick fish they are sneaky!!

Offline IrishIce99

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "I am number 1. All others are number 2 or lower."
« Reply #54 on: Jan 06, 2008, 04:15 PM »
what is an "ice spud"??
It's an ice chisel.
Support local bait and tackle shops --> Jay-Ve <br />   

Offline cuznalfy

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Location Mt.
« Reply #55 on: Jan 07, 2008, 12:31 PM »
i was ling fishing on night flag went up went over felt something there pulled it up there was a 18 inch piece of barb wire on my hook

Offline klzeprobe83

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #56 on: Jan 07, 2008, 12:50 PM »
Weirdest catch on my end:

Was actually fishing this year, using waxworms... Anyways, I had been fishing for probably close to 3 hours w/no luck. Accidently dropped my line onto the cheese dip I had been using for my chips. Thought, what the heck, I will try it... Dropped it in the hole, and no sooner than 10 seconds, I caught my 15" crappie in the same exact spot I was fishing before.

Well the weirdest "Item" I ever caught was fishing Prairie Lake in Sturgis... Was just trolling the drop off w/a thin fin, and caught on to something... Immediately, we stopped the boat, and I started reeling in this beast... Turns out I had logged onto an old front grill for a 29 Ford... Went by it again, and ended up getting an old "Ham Smoker" motor off of the bottom the next day... lol... Guessing someone just didn't make a good judgement on the ice that day...

Offline srobocop

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Jan 07, 2008, 12:59 PM »
6in muskie while perch fishing.
-Sro
"I ain't from Michigan, I'm from the U.P."

Offline Smeltecca

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Never mess with another man's hole.
« Reply #58 on: Jan 07, 2008, 01:09 PM »
Muskrat on 10" dead shiner.
  Ice Fishermen Walk on Water!

Offline Wild-man

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #59 on: Jan 07, 2008, 02:02 PM »
my best story is of the thing we TRIED to catch and COULDN't!!!
years ago, shared a permanent shack with a buddy for a day. he dropped a full, unopened 40OZ bottle of JACK down the hole!!!! :o :o
he spent the entire day trying to hook and retrieve it. being round, it was not going to work. while we filled our walleye limits, he got skunked and never was able to get the bottle back!!! too funny!!!! ;D
Never Met a Fish I Didn't Like...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.