Author Topic: When do you drive out?  (Read 3381 times)

Offline Golden Luther

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Trophy Fish and Me Don't Get Along
When do you drive out?
« on: Feb 10, 2006, 07:19 PM »
Just wondering what it takes for people to drive out on the ice?  I need well over a foot and many other vehicles out there.  One question--  It seems to me that driving and parking would be two different things.  Driving requires momentary weight on the ice where as parking requires sustained weight.  Any thoughts?

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
Re: When do you drive out?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 10, 2006, 07:43 PM »
I very rarely drive out on the ice..when I do, I need to know the area and  I usually take a good luck around and it there are a wack of vehicles out there that are bigger then mine then Im good to go...well over a foot

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 10, 2006, 07:46 PM »
I'll take a full sized 4wd pickup on a foot of good solid black ice.  Always went out ahead of time and checked even if there were other trucks out there.

If you've ever wondered what 18 inches of ice can hold, you should have been at Tupper Lakes Derby on year #1.

At the awards announcements, there must have been 200 trucks/cars on the ice, parked parking lot style and the ice didn't even groan, The NYS DEC website has a guideline posted as well.

I'm sure there is a difference between live (moving) and dead (parked) on the ice, but either way, until there's a foot and I know it's good, then I don't risk it......
Marine Infantry NCO- Semper Fi!!!

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 10, 2006, 08:24 PM »
This idea has never sat well with me.  Cars and truck are made to drive on the road.  I will never drive my vehicle on the ice.  I would not want to pay the fines if it goes through.

Offline twodoggs

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ice hard, so fish hard.  but keep it fun.
« Reply #4 on: Feb 10, 2006, 08:43 PM »
I have a f250 4x4 and I take it out when we have 18 in of good ice.  I however would not be parking anywhere near other vehicals.  I have seen too many times when people Have parked on the ice like it is a parking lot and then end up with about half of them going in. 

There is a differance between parking and driving also.  you can be parked on less ice and be fine but if you are driving too fast on say 16 to 18 in of ice a wave builds up infront of you and that can be very bad. 

billybono

« Reply #5 on: Feb 10, 2006, 08:47 PM »
never....foot or wheeler

billybono

Offline ifishhi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 10, 2006, 09:33 PM »
12 most of the time , 5in once but i will follow i someone drives out first

M.P.H.C. freedomfighter #000004

camo_fish

« Reply #7 on: Feb 10, 2006, 09:40 PM »
5" that must be a quad.
I will drive my truck out after I've seen other trucks out on the ice for a week or so and the ice needs to be 12"+ of solid black ice, none of this white re-freeze ice.  :P

billybono

« Reply #8 on: Feb 10, 2006, 09:42 PM »
5" that must be a quad.
I will drive my truck out after I've seen other trucks out on the ice for a week or so and the ice needs to be 12"+

come on now camo.... i have a feeling jr is driving sitting on you lap ;)  at least i hope he is :):):):)

billybono

Offline ifishhi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 10, 2006, 10:11 PM »
5" that must be a quad.
no it was a toyota w/a sled in the back

Offline ifishhi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 10, 2006, 10:27 PM »
i'm not. he asked

billybono

« Reply #11 on: Feb 10, 2006, 10:33 PM »
i'm not. he asked

your right...my bad...i wouldent ADMIT that  ;)  what if someone sees that and thinks ok to do????

billybono

camo_fish

« Reply #12 on: Feb 10, 2006, 10:45 PM »
no it was a toyota w/a sled in the back
wow, you won't find my toyota out on no 5" of ice.  :cookoo:

Offline ifishhi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 10, 2006, 10:46 PM »
i might be, but if they take my one time and over see all the rest of the posts with out knowing  the ice then they are already wet behind the ears so why not the rest of them too. i was about 30 feet from shore and it was about 3-4ft deep so we knew if we went through  we could bust up the ice behind us and drive out.

billybono

« Reply #14 on: Feb 10, 2006, 10:49 PM »
i might be, but if they take my one time and over see all the rest of the posts with out knowing  the ice then they are already wet behind the ears so why not the rest of them too. i was about 30 feet from shore and it was about 3-4ft deep so we knew if we went through  we could bust up the ice behind us and drive out.

i can see driving miles to a spot...but 30 feet  ::) ::)  why bother and risk anything...not trying to be a jerk here but i just dont get it

billybono

Offline ifishhi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 10, 2006, 10:51 PM »
well i might of been crazy,but i've done crazier, i'm married

Offline ifishhi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 10, 2006, 10:53 PM »

i can see driving miles to a spot...but 30 feet  ::) ::)  why bother and risk anything...not trying to be a jerk here but i just dont get it

billybono

it was pouring out and blowing sideways, and that was my day to fish so i fished

camo_fish

« Reply #17 on: Feb 11, 2006, 12:12 AM »
well i might of been crazy,but i've done crazier, i'm married
Same here  >:D does your fishing get you in trouble too, from time to time.  :pinch: >:D

Offline Redneck5

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Feb 11, 2006, 01:54 AM »
There is about 6" of ice under the truck :whistle: ok about 60 inches. We make "ice bridges" up here in the frozen north. We cross one river and go about 30 miles from there crossing numerous creeks and sloughs. Our min is 60" of ice before the big trucks drive on it. There is nothing like hearing the ice creak when you are drivin a semi across it, and you guys are worried about your pick ups :D I don't ever drive my pick up on the ice.

Offline crappie rob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #19 on: Feb 11, 2006, 02:55 AM »
There is about 6" of ice under the truck :whistle: ok about 60 inches. We make "ice bridges" up here in the frozen north. We cross one river and go about 30 miles from there crossing numerous creeks and sloughs. Our min is 60" of ice before the big trucks drive on it. There is nothing like hearing the ice creak when you are drivin a semi across it, and you guys are worried about your pick ups :D I don't ever drive my pick up on the ice.
(Image removed from quote.)
I'd drive if I saw that on the ice, no problem!!! Crappie Rob.
Lets Go Cubs. Bring on the baseball season!!!

Offline Jim111

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Central VT
« Reply #20 on: Feb 11, 2006, 06:54 AM »
We drive out every winter here, but only on lakes we are very familiar with and (for me) only when we have enough hard ice (not that milky stuff) to justify it. The most important factor, other than ice thickness, is knowing the lake you are driving on. Plus, come March or so, when that sun gets high, thickness doesn't much matter. I've seen ice two feet thick that was so rotten (candleized) you couldn't even walk on it! I generally like a foot though, to begin driving on in early winter. I avoid stream/creek/river mouths and areas with any current or know springs. As the season progresses towards spring, I avoid shallow weedy areas, as the sun will warm those areas and weaken them first. We always continue to monitor the ice carefully though, all winter long and never ASSUME anything!   -Jim

Offline ifishhi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Feb 11, 2006, 07:07 AM »
Same here  >:D does your fishing get you in trouble too, from time to time.  :pinch: >:D
yup if i'm not fishing , i'm in this site or shopping for new gear

Offline Golden Luther

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Trophy Fish and Me Don't Get Along
« Reply #22 on: Feb 11, 2006, 01:21 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)
Isn't there a maximum speed for the ice bridges-  something about causing a wave?  I saw something on Discovery years ago and can't remember.

Offline spoonfed

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • just one more
« Reply #23 on: Feb 11, 2006, 01:59 PM »
i put my quad through the ice that was 14" thick but in one spot-3".my point is you never know whats under you until its to late.in michigan insurance dont cover stupidity so i leave my truck on good ole concrete ;D
cant afford a payment on something in a bone yard.

i will say i did drive on the ice until i put mt quad in.couldn't imagine the heartache watchin my truck go down.quad was bad enough.

only keep what you're gonna eat
                                                            MIRC

Offline Redneck5

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Feb 11, 2006, 05:07 PM »
Isn't there a maximum speed for the ice bridges-  something about causing a wave?  I saw something on Discovery years ago and can't remember.

We keep the speed between 5 and 10mph. Alot of it depends on what we are haulin. You sure don't want to get waves started and have a "blow out" by the shore. In order to get the thickness, we drill then pump and let it frezze, drill, pump frezze until we hit the 60"

Offline chowdah

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 11, 2006, 09:06 PM »
18" of good hard ice, ok. Nothing less and I got to know the lake. I will never  drive on new territory. We have lots of folks on the ice this year w/only 8-12'' of ice and a lot of it is white crappy ice from all the rain. They seem to get away with it for the most part. I guess I'll keep draggin my stuff out til I get a 4 wheeler or maybe I'll hit megabucks and get an Argo 6 wheeler!!

Offline bushbunny

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • He who has the gold makes the rules!!!
« Reply #26 on: Feb 11, 2006, 09:39 PM »
Our ice roads wander somewhat to spread any wave out and away from the traffic.  Both shores are approached from an angle, again to disperse the wave away from the shore approach.  I expect that the same is done anywhere the lakes and rivers are used as roads, as a safety measure.  The oil companies haul gas compressor packages weighing in excess of 300,000 lbs (on lots of wheels) across roads like this continually to new sites all over northern Alberta.

Offline WAN2PHISH

• IceShanty Rookie
  • JUMBOS
« Reply #27 on: Feb 11, 2006, 10:16 PM »
When its someone elses vehicle
yeah watcha got?

Offline skulldugary

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #28 on: Feb 12, 2006, 07:45 AM »
Four wheeler 6".....truck never...

Offline pirkaus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Is it safe? You go first.
« Reply #29 on: Feb 12, 2006, 08:18 AM »
When there's at least a foot, and the road is well traveled
I'm an ice chicken, I've got this thing about drowning ::)
Most times I heel and toe where I need to go :tipup:
It's hard for us turkeys to work.....                                    while dodging S#!* from soaring eagles

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.