Author Topic: Ice fishing gear you wish somebody would make  (Read 8692 times)

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Ice fishing gear you wish somebody would make
« Reply #60 on: Jan 03, 2015, 06:58 AM »
I Wish they'd make a ice pole in which the handle would contain batteries and it would heat the eyelet's when needed with a switch. This would be so nice...

battery would only add weight and decrease sensitivity of the rod. solution is to get a custom rod with over sized guides or look for a mass produced rod with over sized guides. on all the ice rods I build I use a #8 tip top and then a couple #8 guides then a #10 and finally a #12.
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #61 on: Jan 03, 2015, 07:04 AM »
A spray that keeps the ice from forming on my guides and a Gizmo that keeps holes from freezing..  Even if  it was a light it here Prepacked tin can like those throw away BBQs

Strikemaster in the past had a 12 volt pump that you hooked to a flasher battery and it would circulate the water in the hole and keep it open. I have open and have used it in the past in tip up holes.

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #62 on: Jan 03, 2015, 07:13 AM »
as for the Clam hubs with the floor I will have to talk with the R&D guys and the President of Clam and see what the deal was as to why they stopped making this option with the hubs. My guess is that they didn't go over well enough to justify making them a second year. I have a feeling with a few minor changes they could make a improved one that the holes don't open up when moving it around.

the other thing I would like to see Clam do is to come out with their own version of the Shappel Bay Runner. if they did come out with something similar I would for sure get one as I like the concept of the bay runner. the icing on the cake would be if it was made with a full thermal tent on it.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #63 on: Jan 03, 2015, 08:12 AM »
If you like the Shappell Bay Runner why not just buy one. Waiting for Clam to make one is like buying Pepsi when there was Coke already . I once had a Coke guy tell me:Pepsi is just a cheap imitation of Coke.
<===Lefty===

Offline DFresh75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #64 on: Jan 03, 2015, 08:19 AM »
I was just telling my wife I wish Razor made a good Electric Snowmobile for kids for like $300 that my kids could shoot around the yard in at 7mph and that got me thinking.

If a stock kids electric dirt bike can go 15mph for 10 miles, can't someone create us a super light ATV or sled that runs on 48v and will go for 15 miles of range at 15MPH?

That would be awesome to throw in the back of an SUV, a $300 cheapo device to get you to spots you want to get to without spending $8k on a trailer and other toys

luv2fish2

« Reply #65 on: Jan 03, 2015, 09:43 AM »
i like that auger powerhead go kart you'd have many options on the power ie; electric ,  gas , different brands you could racem. he he he  ;D

Offline DFresh75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #66 on: Jan 03, 2015, 10:47 AM »
I know it looks sweet!  The Lithium Lazer on there could be interesting!

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #67 on: Jan 03, 2015, 11:33 AM »
The Portable Hole--- Bring several out with you onto the ice in a hole proof container. 8" or 10" and 3" for the transducer. They roll out like a tortilla. When you're done for the day just shake them off, roll them up and back into the case for the next trip.  I know this can be done because I saw it in a Donald Duck comic in my youth.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #68 on: Jan 03, 2015, 04:54 PM »
If you like the Shappell Bay Runner why not just buy one. Waiting for Clam to make one is like buying Pepsi when there was Coke already . I once had a Coke guy tell me:Pepsi is just a cheap imitation of Coke.

Because I staff with Clam and Shappel is a competitor of Clam. I still might get one thou for personal use when not doing stuff with Clam.

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Length 47 3/4 " Girth 24" NY Northern Pike
« Reply #69 on: Jan 03, 2015, 05:50 PM »
An fish finder that when dropped down the hole could see horizontal for instance....

hole                                            hole
                                 l                                                /\
                                 l                      instead of         /   \   
           < -----------  l ----------->                         /      \
                     view of fish finder                             /         \

bottom                                       bottom

they probably have it but i just havent seen it yet
TeamNumbnutts on youtube ... Subscribe !
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=teamnumbnutts&sm=3

Offline skowalski250

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #70 on: Jan 03, 2015, 06:35 PM »
Because I staff with Clam and Shappel is a competitor of Clam. I still might get one thou for personal use when not doing stuff with Clam.

If clam does make one. Be sure they make a model for two people with four holes. That one I would buy.

Offline fish8mybait

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #71 on: Jan 03, 2015, 07:18 PM »
Then this should make ya smile ;D

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=c26_1418755245

Are you kidding me? That is great!

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
« Reply #72 on: Jan 03, 2015, 08:49 PM »
I want Marcum to make a wireless underwater camera.  It needs to be like a little remote controlled submarine.  It definitely needs to have a return button otherwise you might need to drill a lot of holes to get it back.
"Hope" is not a good fishing strategy!

Offline flatironfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #73 on: Jan 03, 2015, 08:58 PM »
I would Like to see someone make a 3" auger bit for a drill.  I get sick and tired of my line getting tangled in my transducer.  If you were to drill right next to your 6 8 or 10" hole and put your transducer down it right at the bottom of the ice you would not get tangled up.

Better yet, why not invent a transducer that reads THRU the ice??  They make one that reads thru a boat transom, why not make one that can read thru up to 24" of ice??

"Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars." - Unknown

Offline Cross-Eye-Jig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #74 on: Jan 03, 2015, 09:44 PM »
I know many people who're affiliated with Clam and other fishing tackle companies.
  The only time they strictly use the products that they're affiliated with is when they're in front of a camera, they're giving seminars or they're fishing in a group of people who might question why they're NOT using their affiliated products.
   There's a lot of junk being pushed to ice fishermen/women and to handicap yourself by using it just to appease a manufacturer is ridiculous !
  That being said, Shappell's Bay Runner is a real nice unit !     Similar to the old Roth Windblock shelter from the early 90's.

Offline Cross-Eye-Jig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #75 on: Jan 03, 2015, 10:19 PM »
a nice inline reel
an auger that breaks down in 2 or more pieces so it fits in a sled better
Nils Master has a new break down auger system I believe it's called the "Trekker"
 Total break down auger that can utilze the hand crank, a drill or powerhead.
Looks like a slick take down auger with the same Nils quality.
 Try their website or Flea Bay to see one  ;)

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #76 on: Jan 03, 2015, 10:37 PM »
An fish finder that when dropped down the hole could see horizontal for instance....

i made a quick fix for that. i used a zip strip/cable tie. i cinched the ducer with the loop end on the widest part of it and used electric tape up on the ducer cable at a point to where it holds the ducer to 90 degrees holding the tag end of the strip/tie. never used it, just wanted to try and make some thing new.
when wanting to look straight down, just slip the ducer out of the loop and the wire tie stays on the cable. i think i used one wrap velcro too and it held. using the velcro you can remove the cable tie easier.

some one here had posted a device that held the ducer on the end of a telescoping pole with clamps that rotated so you held the ducer that way to look side ways under the ice.
seems like they wanted 100$ for it.

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #77 on: Jan 04, 2015, 03:28 AM »
Better yet, why not invent a transducer that reads THRU the ice??  They make one that reads thru a boat transom, why not make one that can read thru up to 24" of ice??

this won't happen because ice is too inconsistent. the current transducers will shoot thru only thinner glass clear ice that doesn't have no air pocket in it. the return signal has a tendency to ping off the unclear ice that is why when you have your transducer just under the surface of the water and the ice is really thick you will get alot of return signals that will clutter your display. to over come this you need to make sure your transducer is right at the bottom of the hole.  even if they could over come all this and make a transducer that could read through the ice it would have to be able to read through up to say 5 feet as place like here in Minnesota have been known to have ice that is 3 to 5 feet thick by the end of the ice season.

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #78 on: Jan 04, 2015, 03:32 AM »
I want Marcum to make a wireless underwater camera.  It needs to be like a little remote controlled submarine.  It definitely needs to have a return button otherwise you might need to drill a lot of holes to get it back.

it would have to be programmed to return to you before the battery dies completely or you will be in a world of hurt and won't be able to get the camera back as it would sink to the bottom once completely dead.

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #79 on: Jan 04, 2015, 03:38 AM »

the technology is there, it's called the Humminbird 360. I don't see why they couldn't adapt this technology into a ice fishing version of this since they already have the open water version.

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #80 on: Jan 04, 2015, 03:47 AM »
the one thing I would like to see is for Vexilar to take their sonar phone technology and make it into a ice fishing version. all they would need to do is take their current wi fi box of the sonar phone and hook a ice fishing transducer to it with say a 6 foot cord and a float like the current flasher already have and then it would send a signal back to your phone or tablet. they could modify the current software of the sonar phone and make a round flasher display on the screen instead of a graph display. also be able to buy extra transducers to put in other holes around the area you want to fish and have them alert when there is a return signal detected under them and have your display switch to that particular transducer so you know where the fish are.

Offline Dean84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #81 on: Jan 04, 2015, 10:34 AM »
A sled I could power with my auger. Definatly doable.

I cant find the link to it now, but some guy did invent one of these. He has it on kickstarter trying to get funding.   It uses the powerhead of an auger to propel the wheels. Looks like it would be useless in any deep snow however.

Offline maddogg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #82 on: Jan 04, 2015, 10:48 AM »
I'd like to invent the "fishing buddy." He drags all your gear, drills your holes, sets everything up, keeps your beer thawed, and cleans all the fish. Is that to much to ask Clam or Frabill?

;D

That's called a Wife.

Offline Mtwolfer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #83 on: Jan 04, 2015, 11:00 AM »
I'd like to invent the "fishing buddy." He drags all your gear, drills your holes, sets everything up, keeps your beer thawed, and cleans all the fish. Is that to much to ask Clam or Frabill?

;D
I do know where you can rent a drinking buddy on the cheap! ;D

Offline IcefisherSteve

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #84 on: Jan 04, 2015, 11:18 AM »
Not sure if any other flip shanties have this problem but I would like to see Frabill make(or another company) make the front bar of the shanty bent towards the ground more. My shelter doesn't rest on the ice in front. The wind constantly gets under it and tries to lift front up. If the frame bar was bent or angled down some it would be way better. I cant imagine it would cost them a lot of money to modify just that front bar for frabill flip shanty to make it rest on the ice...I get that when the lake has snow on it, it isn't as bad but not every lake has few inches or more of snow on it. Maybe other shanties don't have this problem.

Offline Stinkybaits

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #85 on: Jan 04, 2015, 11:27 AM »
I would like a 3D viewing system. You could look down the water column or sideways. Anything that the transducer would see on an projected on an x y z plane. It would show terrain, suspended fish, bottom fish, etc. It would he like you see in sci-fi movies.

That exists now.. Humingbird 360 imaging  ;D

Offline tightliner812

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #86 on: Jan 04, 2015, 12:14 PM »
Not sure if any other flip shanties have this problem but I would like to see Frabill make(or another company) make the front bar of the shanty bent towards the ground more. My shelter doesn't rest on the ice in front. The wind constantly gets under it and tries to lift front up. If the frame bar was bent or angled down some it would be way better. I cant imagine it would cost them a lot of money to modify just that front bar for frabill flip shanty to make it rest on the ice...I get that when the lake has snow on it, it isn't as bad but not every lake has few inches or more of snow on it. Maybe other shanties don't have this problem.

I'm not sure what model you have but the frount bar should rest on the ice when you using it . I have the Frabill commando and it works just fine in the frount . Your cover may be pulled to far to the back . You might try taking the molding that holds the material to the sled and readjusting it should fix your problem . I just wins mine was held tighter to the sled by my feet on the sides where the sled ends .

Offline IcefisherSteve

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #87 on: Jan 04, 2015, 12:28 PM »

I'm not sure what model you have but the frount bar should rest on the ice when you using it . I have the Frabill commando and it works just fine in the frount . Your cover may be pulled to far to the back . You might try taking the molding that holds the material to the sled and readjusting it should fix your problem . I just wins mine was held tighter to the sled by my feet on the sides where the sled ends .
I will have to try that. I also have the commando. If the bar was modified or bent the sides where your feet are would block more wind too. Wish the bar was made so it angles down then straight just not straight out from the sled. I have same prob where my feet are so I usually put my ice scooper on the skirt or ice shavings from the hole to help skirt block the wind and light.

Offline mudchuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #88 on: Jan 04, 2015, 12:32 PM »

My Clam Trapper has the same problem. I was on bare ice recently with wind and it was an ordeal not having the bottom bar on the ice. I'm looking into modifying it to suit my needs.
Would be nice if the flipover shelter manufacturers would sell retro fit kits rather than the end user having to invent something...

Offline mbart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #89 on: Jan 04, 2015, 01:52 PM »
 Otter, make a one man quick flip shelter, no poles to extend just flip and fish.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.