Author Topic: Gander Mountain Insulated Hub  (Read 9538 times)

Offline COMMODORE99

• IceShanty Rookie
Gander Mountain Insulated Hub
« on: Nov 18, 2014, 03:57 PM »
Has anyone seen these new hub style shelters at Gander Mountain?  I talked to a guy at the store the other day and he said they are made just for Gander, in China he assumed.  1 year warranty and they come with 2 free chairs.  List price is $299, but they were on sale for $249.  He did mention that on Black Friday they would be marked down to $199. 

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Gander-Mountain-Insulated-Thermal-Ice-Hub-8-x-8&i=789538

I've had my eye on the new Eskimo 6120i, but at less than half the price, I might have to consider this one...  I have no doubt the Eskimo is a better shelter, but a $200 savings buys me a lot of beer, I mean a LOT of beer.

Offline bushyjr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flag
Re: Gander Mountain Insulated Hub
« Reply #1 on: Nov 18, 2014, 04:06 PM »
Look like same quality as clam.  Probably made is same China plant better price and 2 chairs for 200 I would say yes if looking for pop up
Just enjoying life

Offline VTWoodchuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 18, 2014, 07:37 PM »
Has anyone seen these new hub style shelters at Gander Mountain?  I talked to a guy at the store the other day and he said they are made just for Gander, in China he assumed.  1 year warranty and they come with 2 free chairs.  List price is $299, but they were on sale for $249.  He did mention that on Black Friday they would be marked down to $199. 

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Gander-Mountain-Insulated-Thermal-Ice-Hub-8-x-8&i=789538

I've had my eye on the new Eskimo 6120i, but at less than half the price, I might have to consider this one...  I have no doubt the Eskimo is a better shelter, but a $200 savings buys me a lot of beer, I mean a LOT of beer.

I called them for info and it does not have replaceable windows.  That is a non-starter for me at any price...
“Anyone can be a fisherman in May.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Offline COMMODORE99

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 18, 2014, 09:22 PM »
I called them for info and it does not have replaceable windows.  That is a non-starter for me at any price...

That actually surprises me, since they are just attached with Velcro.  I pulled one out while I was there and even mentioned to the employee that it was a nice feature that the clams don't have

Offline VTWoodchuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 18, 2014, 11:14 PM »
That actually surprises me, since they are just attached with Velcro.  I pulled one out while I was there and even mentioned to the employee that it was a nice feature that the clams don't have

That's good to here.  So much for the customer service phone number at the big box store knowing enough to answer questions by phone?  It sounded like she just read me the description of the website.  I called them up because the nearest Gander Mtn is across Lake Champlain in Plattsburg NY, about an hour and a half away with an expensive ferry crossing along the route.  Since you've seen them in person I might take a ride over there this weekend to see them.   Did you happen to ask them how much it weighs?  They couldn't answer that over the phone either.  Thanks
― Ernest Hemingway

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #5 on: Nov 18, 2014, 11:27 PM »
Just an observation, there are no reinforced areas nor grommets in the exterior skirting for ice anchors as with most hub shelters.        :unsure:

I would hope those are hidden inside.     :whistle:

Good luck with this item.      ;)2

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #6 on: Nov 19, 2014, 01:45 AM »
Commodore99 first off welcome to Ice Shanty. I do not know if this is the same hub style shelter that is on display at my local Gander Mountain. If it is the height at the center of the shelter is maybe 6 feet some thing to consider when getting in and out of the shelter. Since I have a flip over shelter currently did not look over the display model. I'm only 5' 9" and would have to bend down to get in-out of the shelter my local store has on display. Getting the shelter for $200.00 is great but will you be disappointed after a few trips .
Steve

Offline VTWoodchuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 19, 2014, 08:11 AM »
Another thing to consider is how much space you really need and how are you transporting it.  I usually fish by myself or with anther person and sometimes bring along my grandson too.  I pull my gear myself in a Jetsled1 so I don't want to haul more than I need.  For me, a 6'x6' is all I need for 2-3 people and most of those hub shelters are between 20 - 30 pounds.  The Gander Mtn shelter is 8'x8' and insulated so even though they don't post the weight on their website I would guess that it is 40+- pounds.   That would make it a great tent for 4+ people if your hauling it with an ATV or a snowmobile but a lot of weight and space to pack out to the ice if you're pulling it all.  Just some food for thought....
― Ernest Hemingway

Offline COMMODORE99

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Nov 19, 2014, 08:52 AM »
Another thing to consider is how much space you really need and how are you transporting it.  I usually fish by myself or with anther person and sometimes bring along my grandson too.  I pull my gear myself in a Jetsled1 so I don't want to haul more than I need.  For me, a 6'x6' is all I need for 2-3 people and most of those hub shelters are between 20 - 30 pounds.  The Gander Mtn shelter is 8'x8' and insulated so even though they don't post the weight on their website I would guess that it is 40+- pounds.   That would make it a great tent for 4+ people if your hauling it with an ATV or a snowmobile but a lot of weight and space to pack out to the ice if you're pulling it all.  Just some food for thought....
I took a picture of the tag while I was in the store and it shows 49.5 pounds.  Weight wouldn't be an issue for me as I always use my ATV anyway.  I already have a 1 man flip over and a small suitcase style Frabill.  This is one of those wish list type items.  My kids are still small enough that we all fit in the frabill, but it's a tight fit for sure.  Another year older with heavy clothes on and we will have to move into a hub or buy a wheelhouse, and the wife isn't too keen on that idea!

Offline COMMODORE99

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Nov 19, 2014, 08:56 AM »
Commodore99 first off welcome to Ice Shanty. I do not know if this is the same hub style shelter that is on display at my local Gander Mountain. If it is the height at the center of the shelter is maybe 6 feet some thing to consider when getting in and out of the shelter. Since I have a flip over shelter currently did not look over the display model. I'm only 5' 9" and would have to bend down to get in-out of the shelter my local store has on display. Getting the shelter for $200.00 is great but will you be disappointed after a few trips .
Steve
Hey Steve, I think you are possibly referring to the smaller, uninsulated model.  I stepped inside this one and was able to stand up at full height, 6-2.  I believe it's 80 inches at the center, but it does taper towards the ends.  A buddy has an Eskimo 949i and I feel like his door is about the same size...It's been a year, but I think I had to bend over to get through that door as well

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #10 on: Nov 19, 2014, 09:35 AM »

We might be running an in-store special on these, but I didn't see it in the Black Friday ad. I'll double check the specials for this weekend when I head in tomorrow. There's different ads for different states, could be I saw an ad for a state that doesn't carry these.

Offline VTWoodchuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 19, 2014, 10:55 AM »
We might be running an in-store special on these, but I didn't see it in the Black Friday ad. I'll double check the specials for this weekend when I head in tomorrow. There's different ads for different states, could be I saw an ad for a state that doesn't carry these.

It is on page 18 of the Black Friday Sneek Peek advertising flyer.  I got it by email from them. The prices don't start until the 27th.   Here is the link.   http://gandermountain.shoplocal.com/gandermountainsneakpeek/BrowseByPage?promotioncode=GanderMt-141127&storeid=2420714
― Ernest Hemingway

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #12 on: Nov 19, 2014, 12:01 PM »
Commodore99 you are probably correct I just walked past the shelter. I was at Gander Mountain for a meeting of Ice Shanty members from south east New York state. If you live near a store I would pay it a visit to look over the shelter otherwise see what the return policy is if you decide it will not fit your needs or do not like the quality.
Steve

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13 on: Nov 19, 2014, 12:10 PM »
Double check to see if the windows are removable ...just a thought ...as well as the anchoring system ...gander sells a anchoring sytem 6 anchors total ...for 29.00 bucks ...the do look like Eskimos anchors . Maybe the tent is too.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #14 on: Nov 19, 2014, 01:15 PM »
Double check to see if the windows are removable ...just a thought ...as well as the anchoring system ...gander sells a anchoring sytem 6 anchors total ...for 29.00 bucks ...the do look like Eskimos anchors . Maybe the tent is too.

Just a thought, read reply 3 from Commodore99.   HE REMOVED A WINDOW !      :blink:

I guess it's easy to over look the product description by "downscrolling" , at the link at/in OP.     :whistle:

The shelter comes with 8 anchors.

I say again, there are no holes/grommets in the outer skirt, unlike most all other hub types.     ::) 

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #15 on: Nov 19, 2014, 01:24 PM »
Just an observation, there are no reinforced areas nor grommets in the exterior skirting for ice anchors as with most hub shelters.        :unsure:

I would hope those are hidden inside.     :whistle:

Good luck with this item.      ;)2

Looked at one in the store. You are correct, I'gator. No "holes" or grommets that I could see......
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline VTWoodchuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Nov 19, 2014, 02:37 PM »
I was waiting for Black Friday to try and get a better price but this afternoon I bit down hard and bought an Eskimo Quickfish 3i insulated  today for $199 and free shipping from L&M Fleet Farm.   I don't need the extra space or weight of the bigger 949i but I did want room for 2-3 and to be able to stand up straight with 80" of height and at only 28 pounds it is perfect for me to haul with my other gear. From what I've read on this site and others the Quickfish is probably the most tried and proven hub shelter out there and that means a lot to me also.  I've seen these selling for as much as $379 and even Sportsmans Guide is selling them for $299 so I decided not to wait and get one now before they are sold out.  Here is the link for anyone who is interested.  http://www.landmsupply.com/department/sporting-goods/ice-fishing/fish-houses/eskimo-quick-fish-iii-insulated
― Ernest Hemingway

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Nov 19, 2014, 02:44 PM »
^that's one heck of a deal with free shipping to boot!

Catchin' Fish

Offline VTWoodchuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Nov 19, 2014, 02:46 PM »
That's what I thought.  I'll bet they run out quickly...
― Ernest Hemingway

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
« Reply #19 on: Nov 19, 2014, 06:13 PM »
At my local Gander they have this 8X8 unit and an Eskimo Quickfish 2i right next to each other.  As I understand it, the 2i is exclusive to Gander (6X6 shack) and looks like a slick unit for someone interested in a smaller hub unit.  $199 regular price for that one.

Anyway, I noticed that the refletive material, anchor point stitching, etc on the sidewalls are identical on the Gander branded shack and the Eskimo branded shack.  I would guess that these are Eskimo shacks with some corners that were cut to hold down the price (such as the anchor grommets, etc).  I took a picture of the 2i.  Notice the reflective strip and compare that to the Gander branded shack. 

Never Stop Never Stopping

Offline dab65

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Nov 20, 2014, 04:24 AM »
Woodchuck. I ordered same one from L & M. Got it in about 2 days. Haven't had a chance to get it out of the bag yet. Between work and getting ready for rifle season just no time.

Offline WildMN

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Nov 20, 2014, 07:02 AM »
If I had to bet that 8 x 8 gander shack is an Eskimo 949I clone.  It looks amazingly similar.  To me thats a good thing, Eskimo sells out at christmas and then nobody can get a shack for the bulk of the season.  It took me driving almost 200 miles to find one in January last year.  I would have been all over this Gander shack.

Offline VTWoodchuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Nov 20, 2014, 08:35 AM »
Woodchuck. I ordered same one from L & M. Got it in about 2 days. Haven't had a chance to get it out of the bag yet. Between work and getting ready for rifle season just no time.

I'm pretty tickled with the deal and I was pleasantly surprised when I received shipping confirmation and a tracking number from them the same afternoon I made the purchase.   We have a skim of ice on Monkton Pond this morning, though it will be gone as soon as the wind picks up but it won't be long before we are fishing ; - )
― Ernest Hemingway

Offline dab65

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Nov 20, 2014, 05:59 PM »
Make sure you look it over good. Mine had a seam that was not done right. Had a 10 inch piece of fabric that was not sewn on. Also had some wear on top outside of shack where the poles connect together. Contacted Eskimo and they are having me ship it back and sending me a new one.

Offline VTWoodchuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Nov 20, 2014, 08:06 PM »
Make sure you look it over good. Mine had a seam that was not done right. Had a 10 inch piece of fabric that was not sewn on. Also had some wear on top outside of shack where the poles connect together. Contacted Eskimo and they are having me ship it back and sending me a new one.

What area was the 10" seam not sewn?  Did it look like an open box item?
― Ernest Hemingway

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #25 on: Dec 04, 2014, 11:16 PM »

Each inside corner has a gromet and the windows are removeable. Just popped one up tonight for a display.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.