Author Topic: Quads verses Snowmobile rig for Erie  (Read 3411 times)

Offline IM-POUNDING- R -U

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Quads verses Snowmobile rig for Erie
« on: Mar 10, 2014, 04:01 PM »
I need a rig for next year and i would like to know what works best. 
10% of the fisherman catch 90% of the fish .....im a 10% are you?

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
Re: Quads verses Snowmobile rig for Erie
« Reply #1 on: Mar 10, 2014, 04:02 PM »
Quad with chains, the snowfall was unusually deep this yr!  Also put a blade on it to plow driveway, drag deer ect!!

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Mar 10, 2014, 04:29 PM »
Quad set up for towing a shanty.  Auger holder for front bar? Gps mount on handle bar? Cooler behind you on back bar? What kind of license do i need to be legal?  Best tires/chains?  Are you required to have a float bag on bike? Best way to transport it there? Any information never owned either .

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 10, 2014, 04:38 PM »
From Michigan, had ORV sticker that was never checked when they checked our fish, didn't even check fishing license, mainly interested in number of fish.. Don't need helmit in Ohio but we wore them, also can ride double, cant in Michigan, auger carrier for front, milk crates on back for buckets, poles minnow bucket ect!  Don't have pictures ,that's the way we went!

Offline wnyfishnut

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Mar 10, 2014, 05:30 PM »
I use a snowmobile. Liquid cooled for warm days. It depends how much snow you get. In wny I've had 2ft of snow on the ice. Even with my snowmobile I got stuck a few times. I also use it to ride the local snowmobile trail system.   Only way you're getting a Quad across that deep snow is to put a track kit on it. I saw one fishing Lake Oneida. That thing was a beast. If you have the $$ I would go with the quad. You could take the tracks off for the summer.
Also think what else are you going to use it for when you are not fishing.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 10, 2014, 05:36 PM »
I know a lot of guys tow shantys and such out there ,but it is rough as hell most of time, so slow she goes if towing!!

Offline Purple Floyd

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl.
« Reply #6 on: Mar 10, 2014, 06:14 PM »
Get a UTV with tracks, a heated cab and a plow. Perfect setup.

Offline tightliner812

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Mar 10, 2014, 07:16 PM »
Here's my quad this pic was taken on Lake Erie . I have been on Lake Erie the past 3 weekends and not had a problem with it . I did make a tow bar for the shanty for this past weekend but never used it  I just took the trailer out and hauled 2 guys and the shantys on it . It's only a 4x7 trailer though . I do need to get a way to mount the gps so I don't have to keep it in my hand to make life a lit easier .

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Mar 10, 2014, 07:38 PM »
tightliner812,  Are your tires studded or do you use chains? What is the smallest engine  you could use? I have a 2 man Shanty with a towbar.

Offline tightliner812

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 10, 2014, 08:00 PM »
tightliner812,  Are your tires studded or do you use chains? What is the smallest engine  you could use? I have a 2 man Shanty with a towbar.

I'm just running the stock tires . Mine has the 420 in it but I seen guys out on a lot smaller Machines and still getting around just fine . As far as chains go I may pick up a pair for next year . I could still run just as fast as I wanted the way it is now . Most of the time we were running some sheer between 20 and 30 mpr . I think the most important thing is to have a dependable machine and know what it can and will do .

Offline fishfighter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Mar 10, 2014, 08:49 PM »
Spend the little extra and get the v-bar chains.  A lot more bite when you need it.
Mark it 8 dude

Offline sra61

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Mar 10, 2014, 11:13 PM »
I'm not on The Great Lakes, I'm in Montana, but this is my rig. I can go pretty much anywhere. I can tow more than I can with regular tires, and the load is about 1/4 what the psi is on tires. I have the bucket mount on front, auger carrier on front, large storage box on back, two fuel packs, and tow my flipover Otter house behind. My gps is mounted on a RAM mount on my handlebars. It works great. If I'm traveling at night I make sure to set my gps backlight to be always on. I added some of the 1/2" gold screws to the tracks for better traction on the ice and they were a great addition. No sliding now!

Offline thewyler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Go hard or go home
« Reply #12 on: Mar 10, 2014, 11:53 PM »
if you get more than 10 inches of snow a quads gonna be worthless
go hard or go home

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Mar 11, 2014, 12:09 AM »
Nice tracks!!! :o :o :o

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Mar 11, 2014, 05:10 AM »
sra61,  Thats a rig there,  Awosome!!!  This weekend i seen everything  from 3 wheelers,golfcarts, ridertractor, quads, snowmobiles,airboats. Nothing like that!!!

Offline Cousteau

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Mar 11, 2014, 05:50 AM »
Sold my snow machine a couple years ago. Really miss it. Didn't need it much for fishing but sometimes when traveling to fish it was handy. If I was in the market for something for fishing I'd go with quad. Many options and year round use.  As mentioned above, you'd need liquid cooled sled on warmer snowless fishing days. Regular sled would over heat

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Mar 11, 2014, 05:54 AM »
I'm not on The Great Lakes, I'm in Montana, but this is my rig. I can go pretty much anywhere. I can tow more than I can with regular tires, and the load is about 1/4 what the psi is on tires. I have the bucket mount on front, auger carrier on front, large storage box on back, two fuel packs, and tow my flipover Otter house behind. My gps is mounted on a RAM mount on my handlebars. It works great. If I'm traveling at night I make sure to set my gps backlight to be always on. I added some of the 1/2" gold screws to the tracks for better traction on the ice and they were a great addition. No sliding now!

Great rig I u went to Erie all the time, however the average guy probably goes 2-4 times a year and would not be cost effective for them!  Definatly THE rig if u live there!

Offline sra61

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Mar 11, 2014, 10:38 AM »
Great rig I u went to Erie all the time, however the average guy probably goes 2-4 times a year and would not be cost effective for them!  Definatly THE rig if u live there!
I bought the ATV used, I think I paid $7000 for the machine and a trailer. A year later I bought the tracks used for $2500. The ATV is an 08 Polaris 800. I don't think it was really all that bad. I know the new machines alone are more than I paid for the whole shootin match. My brother found the same machine with Polaris tracks the next year for $8000 total, that only had 500 miles on it.

Offline fishlessman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Mar 11, 2014, 12:37 PM »
if you get the quad and plan on tracks get atleast a 500 minimum. if chains look into studded diamond patterns. they fit tighter to the tire and grab better than vbars. i went with the polaris 500x2 and have riden in 2 feet of snow, not easy but it can be done
http://www.tirechainsrequired.com/products/22x11x10-atv-studded-diamond-tire-chain

Offline kevineng

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Mar 11, 2014, 04:54 PM »
I prefer a sled, I tried the quad thing for a couple of yeas, if the snow gets deep, you get hung up and are digging.  With tracks on a quad you'd be OK I would think looking at some of the setup the others have posted.  I just got tired of digging out a quad, bought a utility sled and HAVE NOT been disappointed with performance, put studs on if using on new snow as the tracks will tear up the fluff and spin on the glare ice.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Mar 11, 2014, 10:17 PM »
What does Ohio require for legal  operation of a atv on Lake Erie?

Offline ducksnbucks36

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Mar 12, 2014, 12:19 AM »
Just get a polaris 700 with 4x4 you will absolutely never get stuck.  Ohio I believe you need the license plate and all the insurance and owners cards and stuff.  But a lot of times going out of Catawba and anywhere on Erie just hurry up and get it in the ice.  Once the quads on they can't write tickets or anything else for it.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Mar 12, 2014, 05:01 AM »
Does Ohio require a helmet? I seen guys out of Crane Creek fly by without?

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Mar 12, 2014, 06:57 AM »
Sled for sure. Air cooled. I can ride glare ice, grass, dirt, rocks... and 2' of snow. All for the grand total of $200. Try to find a wheeler that is worth using for even 5 times that price. A sled is the cheap way to go!
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline mdrobny

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • common sense is no longer common
« Reply #24 on: Mar 12, 2014, 07:42 AM »
Does Ohio require a helmet? I seen guys out of Crane Creek fly by without?
no helmet law,registation(plate) is the only thing I've ever been checked for. they haven't been enforcing plates like they were,just fish this year.

Offline ducksnbucks36

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Mar 12, 2014, 11:12 AM »
Like mdrobny said no helmet just plate but if your smart about it you don't even need one of those. 

Offline Burt Lake Ron

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Mar 12, 2014, 05:19 PM »
From Michigan, had ORV sticker that was never checked when they checked our fish, didn't even check fishing license, mainly interested in number of fish.. Don't need helmit in Ohio but we wore them, also can ride double, cant in Michigan, auger carrier for front, milk crates on back for buckets, poles minnow bucket ect!  Don't have pictures ,that's the way we went!
Actually you can ride double in MI if the machine is designed to do so, like one of the CanAm's, for example.

Offline NordicJigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Mar 12, 2014, 05:28 PM »
Best rig ever. Not alot of snow here, but bitter cold temps. Great for winter and summer.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Mar 13, 2014, 05:19 AM »
What is the weight difference between the two?   How thin of ice can you use a Quad or Snowmobile?

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Mar 13, 2014, 07:47 AM »
What is the weight difference between the two?   How thin of ice can you use a Quad or Snowmobile?

Personally I don't bring my sled on the ice until I have a good 10"+. Some guys are comfortable on 6". Sleds can run from 500lbs to 700lbs loaded with fuel, I would assume wheelers are about the same although I know some of the real big 4x4 700cc wheelers with full racks and 2-up touring seats can be close to 900lbs.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.