Author Topic: Help with choosing an ice rod  (Read 7351 times)

Offline krcat40

• Team IceShanty Regular
Help with choosing an ice rod
« on: Jul 10, 2013, 04:50 PM »
I will be new to jigging this winter, and need some help choosing some ice rods. I will be fishing for walleye and perch. What I really would like to know what length and action for each type of fish.  Trying to get all my stuff ready for winter now.  Thanks for the any suggestions they will be appreciated.

Offline RWD12

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Help with choosing an ice rod
« Reply #1 on: Jul 10, 2013, 05:04 PM »
If you want the best rod(s), look at Tuned Up Custom rods... I will be getting a Precision Noodle this year with the REC. guides... these rods are bad to the bone!

Offline IceFisher64

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jul 10, 2013, 06:03 PM »
check out fenwick elite tech ice rods. well built. priced good also

Offline krcat40

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jul 10, 2013, 06:42 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions, but I really need to know length size and action please.

Offline mushroom_capd_1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jul 11, 2013, 03:59 AM »
If you are looking for a different rod for each species, then I would suggest a light or medium light for perch. For walleye I would go with a medium or medium light. Or if you were to get one rod for both species,  a medium light would work just fine for you. As far as rod length goes, that is more of a personal preference. What I might like in a length for walleye or perch, somebody else might like in a different length. Besides, most rod manufacterers all offer each specific action in varying lengths anyway. While brand A's medium action might be 26in., brand B's might be longer...or shorter. I guess for me it depends on if I'm  fishing in a smaller shanty, than I would go with a shorter rod. In a larger shanty I'd go longer. And when fishing outside then most people prefer a longer rod. And then you can go the custom rod route in wich case hey will build it to your preferred length.

Offline Fatfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jul 11, 2013, 07:50 AM »
I have them all. My son can not believe how many different ice rods I have,18 to count. One for every depth, different type of fish and how deep I am fishing. To me there is no one rod that will do.  BUT most of the time I use a medium Light with 28 in.,length, and an in-line reel,with 4lb test.  That is the rod I use 85% of the time. Maybe it is just the rod that feels the most comfortable with.   Jerry

Offline addicted to ice fishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Feeding my addiction one lake at a time
« Reply #6 on: Jul 11, 2013, 09:20 AM »
I know that you are looking for advice on action, and length, but let me add this advice.  Go to the store, and get the rod in hand.  Rods from manufacturers A, and B might both be the same action, but feel, and act differently when jigging.  I will take a rod down in the store, and jig with it to see how it feels to me.  Granted it will feel, and act a little different with line, and a lure on it, but it does give you a sense of how it will be to fish with.  For example, I personally do not care for a whippy rod, I like a stiffer tip.  If I were to buy a rod without jigging them in the store, it would probably end up collecting dust because it does not suit me.  Everyone has their own likes, and preferences.  Handle lots of rods, then pick out the one that feels the best for you, in the length that best suits your fishing situation.  Good Luck, and enjoy the process of finding new gear.

Offline krcat40

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jul 11, 2013, 11:37 AM »
Thanks a lot guys I appreciate the info. I think I found some stuff to get. Trying to get all my stuff now because I have found some great deals. I think I have read every thread on here about equipment, and made some pretty good selections. 

Offline highsparks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jul 29, 2013, 09:41 PM »
    Ill throw my 2$ in , if its not too late .  Instead of buying multiple cheap rods , I recommend one or two quality rods with quality reals .   These can be had for less than you think .  A good ice reel can be had for $40 , top shelf will run close to $200 . You definetly get what you pay for . 

Rods will range from $25 up over $100 depending on materials .  Once again you get what you pay for .   I have both Thorne and TUC rods , both are top shelf .  Each has their specific action I like .

Thornes Quiverstick is an excellent all around jigging rod for spoons 1/16 and up .  It has plenty of backbone to handle anything you catch .   I have mine mated to a Plueger Patriarch via Cold Snap reel wraps .   These give me the best feel and grip .  I spool it with 3# Suffix and a quick snap for instant spoon changes .

TUC's Precision Noodle with recoil guides is my other main jigging rod .   I use it for 1/16 and smaller spoons and jigs .  I also have a Patrairch on it with 2# Suffix .   It has a very very fast tip , that will fool all but the warriest of fish .  It has plenty of backbone , I have landed eyes to 9# on it .   

The Jason Mitchell Meatstick , and Frabill Quicktip are two mass produced rods that offer similar actions but are easier on the pocketbook . 
Its better to be thought an idiot , than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.......

Offline NB7314

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jul 29, 2013, 11:35 PM »
I agree you should get a higher end rod.  I think the best you can get for panfish would be the TB Quiverstick.  It's an awesome rod for spoons and little jigs.  You feel everything with the smallest jigs!

Offline Fisherman-Andy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jul 30, 2013, 01:44 AM »
He said "Walleye & Perch" type rod.  With this in hand I would recommend a rod length 28" up to 36".  Opt for a carbon fiber/graphite handle instead of cork for optimum sensitivity feel.

Your best options are:

TUC Precision Ice rod
DH Customs Perch Pounder
Thorne Bros Perch sweetheart

The odd ball here would be buying a noodle or quiverstick which is not recommended if your going after Walleye.

If your still want a sensitive tip try the TUC quick tip rod.

Offline krcat40

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jul 30, 2013, 02:07 AM »
I love this site, but damn it's cost me some money. I broke my back in April, so with nothing to do I am on this site quite a bit. So I've been talked into some custom rods along with some cheap rods. Here is what I picked up so far.

13 whiteout combo 28" ml
st Croix legend 28" m w/ pflueger pres 6720
thorne bros walleye sweet heart 28" w/ pflueger pres 6720
thorne bros perch sweetheart 28" w/ pflueger pres 6720
frabill deadstick w/ pfluger trion gx

I also still have some hts and frabill fin s combos Ive had.

Thanks everyone for the advice I appreciate it very much, and thanks for lightening the wallet! lol

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Jul 30, 2013, 07:00 AM »

I have lost count on rods and I have many that are mentioned here if you get a chance take a look at the wicked rods by 13 and a 6061 reel  at present i really like my 28" med wicked with a 6061 reel I use it for eyes, perch and lake trout and many think you really need high end stuff to catch fish ,sorry not true I have four 29" yad USA rods which are no longer made ,well the blank is still used and now costs almost 5 times what i payed for  mine,  and 4 sigma reels which are dirt cheap , and I have caught eyes, perch from New York to Canada and lake trout also without equipment failures , I'm not saying custom rods aren't nice or high end reels aren't spiffy, just not a must ,, just an old guys .02

Offline SoDakdick

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jul 30, 2013, 10:01 AM »
I use a 13 fishing wicked rod in ultra light for perch. it is great when its a soft bite no need for a spring bobber.
Keep your stick on the ice we are all in this together.

Offline scmelik

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jul 30, 2013, 11:21 PM »
I will throw my $.02 into the pile, and believe me its probably not worth the money you will pay for it. 

I use to be the guy that would buy every ice rod that I could get my hands when I went to WalMart or Fleet Farm, Scheels whatever.  At one point I had 20 or more ice rods that I just thought I had to have.  I paired those rods with cheep reels that I picked up.  Did those setup ups catch fish, sure they did but they also made things a huge cluster in my shack.  Over the past few years I have started pulling down my selection of rods to higher quality, application specific rods and my catch rate has definitly gone up.

Now I have changed gears again and am into making my own rods that will be VERY specific to certain applications.  After having a custom built rod I can tell you it is worth the initial investment. 

If you are going to be new to jigging I would say the current line up you have is a great one and you will catch a lot of fish on those rods.  I suggest that you stay with what you currently have, figure out which techniques you prefer to use be it spoon fishing, small jigs, swimbaits, deadsticking.  Figure out what your current rods are lacking for the type of fishing you prefer to do and then have a custom rod or two built. 

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #15 on: Jul 31, 2013, 06:38 AM »

scmelik if your building your own rods then you know how much mark up there is and  many of the these blanks are running on the custom rods and are also sold to companies for mass production , not saying all but there is quite a few that due cross over , and your right about rods being fish specific , what I truly believe is if your in tune with decent equipment you will do just fine and i spend a lot of time fishing perch and eyes in 40' fow and I carry  5 rods only one is a dead stick which is a no brain-er , and the others are from light to stick it to um , a lot depends on their mood and can you get them really fired up and how big can i throw at them , and no matter how much you spend , it still depends on  skill  and how your read their movements , old timer once told me that 90% of the fish are caught by 10% of the fishermen , don't think his numbers are quiet right but there is some truth to that  ;) not trying to get anyone psst ,what I  have seen over 40+ years of fishing ,on many bodies of water , and your graph or flasher has a lot to do with success , understanding your prey is at the top of the list 

Offline scmelik

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jul 31, 2013, 11:18 AM »

scmelik if your building your own rods then you know how much mark up there is and  many of the these blanks are running on the custom rods and are also sold to companies for mass production , not saying all but there is quite a few that due cross over , and your right about rods being fish specific , what I truly believe is if your in tune with decent equipment you will do just fine and i spend a lot of time fishing perch and eyes in 40' fow and I carry  5 rods only one is a dead stick which is a no brain-er , and the others are from light to stick it to um , a lot depends on their mood and can you get them really fired up and how big can i throw at them , and no matter how much you spend , it still depends on  skill  and how your read their movements , old timer once told me that 90% of the fish are caught by 10% of the fishermen , don't think his numbers are quiet right but there is some truth to that  ;) not trying to get anyone psst ,what I  have seen over 40+ years of fishing ,on many bodies of water , and your graph or flasher has a lot to do with success , understanding your prey is at the top of the list 

you are very correct that almost all rods on the market are good enough and that pair with the appropriate reel and line they can be awesome, I will never try and talk someone out of a production rod if that will fit them best.  What I was trying to get at was that instead of trying to get everything right away, take some time and learn how you like to fish, what the fish in the particualr area tend to like, and what your personal style is before going out and spending a bunch of money on rods.

Over the years I have personally learned what I like and don't like in a rod, what I want and don't want.  Unforunately the mass produced rods on the market don't always meet my wants/needs list which is why I reverted to building my own.

Offline krcat40

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jul 31, 2013, 11:41 AM »
I bought a few different brands of rods so that I can see the differences. All the major sport stores are 2+ hours away. Everything I ordered except the Thorne bros were all 50% plus off. I found a store that had the pflueger pres for 29.99 and 39.99. Iam not new to fishing put newer to ice jigging. I always believe in all my outdoor equipment that you get what you pay for. I cant see buying stuff fot $20 when I can drop an extra $40 or $50 and get something that will out perform and last longer than the cheap stuff. Thanks again.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #18 on: Jul 31, 2013, 02:52 PM »

scemlik your absolutely correct pick away at getting what you really would like or what you expect it to do

and krcat40 I'M not really sure the really more expensive stuff holds up any better , you have a nice list of stuff  , and i really don't think china or mexico cares much about quailty it's all about making money these days , I have 4 gx7's one 4520 for stream trout fishing and  three 4725 for jigging eyes on soft water 2 for bucktails and 1 on my sonar rod   cheap and tuff !!!

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • never to cold to fish not cold enough!!
« Reply #19 on: Jul 31, 2013, 10:18 PM »
I'm buying another 28"meat stick . I used one last year and I fell in love with it . I like it better than my thorn bros power noodle and it was 1/2 the price  ;) :icefish: :icefish:
Never to many short poles

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #20 on: Aug 01, 2013, 06:46 AM »
I'm buying another 28"meat stick . I used one last year and I fell in love with it . I like it better than my thorn bros power noodle and it was 1/2 the price  ;) :icefish: :icefish:

I use mine for a Dead Stick, has been working great!
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #21 on: Aug 01, 2013, 12:57 PM »

nice bart

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • never to cold to fish not cold enough!!
« Reply #22 on: Aug 01, 2013, 09:16 PM »
Right on      And they can handle a pretty big fish as well without breaking
Never to many short poles

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.