Poll

With gas prices going up and up, will it change your icefishing in any way?

I'll go significantly less
2 (2.2%)
I'll go slightly less
9 (9.8%)
I'll go the same as in prior years
39 (42.4%)
I plan to go more this year
42 (45.7%)

Total Members Voted: 84

Author Topic: Gasoline prices affecting your icefishing?  (Read 8379 times)

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Gasoline prices affecting your icefishing?
« on: Aug 09, 2005, 10:17 PM »
With the price of regular unleaded gasoline averaging $2.35/gallon around here on August 9, 2005, will that change your icefishing in any way?  Of course it still depends on how many days you have with fishable ice, but if that were to stay the same as prior years, how will it affect you?  I feel sorry for our ice-brothers in Canada for what they have to pay.
Ken                                          

Offline C.C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • DO NOT BE AFRAID !!!!
Re: Gasoline prices affecting your icefishing?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 10, 2005, 06:43 AM »
I'm with ya Mac, I might not go as far as many times but I'll fish the lake's closer to home a little more. All I need to do to fill up my power auger is eat a few peices of deer jerky ;D That makes it run real fast.
        Jim

Offline Mongo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Aug 10, 2005, 08:06 AM »
Amen Mac,
I plan / hope to be out on the ice more then I was last year. The cost of gas is NOT going to be a factor on how much ice fishing I do this coming winter.

Offline Mugz

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Aug 10, 2005, 09:58 AM »
EVen with my new house projects.......I still plan on getting out as much as I did last year, maybe more. With the house, I sure as hell won't be going on any winter vacations like I did last year (even though I was in the Caribean and California, it still killed me to be away from the ice).
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer."
-Frank Zappa

Offline BJ

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLAAAAGGGGG!!!
« Reply #4 on: Aug 10, 2005, 10:53 AM »
The only winter vacation for you this year is the annual Goatboy Icefishing Weekend!! :tipup:

Offline Mugz

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Aug 10, 2005, 11:58 AM »
 :thumbsup:
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer."
-Frank Zappa

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #6 on: Aug 10, 2005, 01:20 PM »
It won't effect where and how much I fish. I live close enough to the lake where it's not a big deal. It will effect the price of bait. Most of the goldens we get are trucked in from Arkansas and most of the suckers come from PA. So...The more it cost to truck the bait, the more it will cost.

Offline baginwal

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Aug 10, 2005, 09:22 PM »
It won't effect me (even though the trek up to my cottage on Lake O is about 5.5 hrs!).  Ice fishing is one of the last things I would limit.  I've already told the kids we will be eating every other day starting in December! ;D
No Politics............Ju st Fish!

Offline TJ Bauer

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • LIVE LIFE, FISH, BE SAFE, HAVE FUN
« Reply #8 on: Aug 10, 2005, 10:38 PM »
Wont change what I will do the outdoors is my life open water fishing, hard water fishing, and hunting.    TJ Bauer ;D ;D ;D

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Aug 11, 2005, 04:05 AM »
I want to go more. I will take the wifes Buick on decent days. But I have to drag out on those days. So thats bad. Gonna have to get the Stabilicers if I`m dragging out much. I figure is gas goes up 50% but my usage goes down 60%, part of the time I`m fishing for free right?
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline moosehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Aug 11, 2005, 06:13 AM »
i,ll just have stash more money away for my hunting and fishing fund that the wife don,t about.

Offline vancouvercanuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Aug 11, 2005, 01:05 PM »
I'm planning on doing more this year. As far as I'm concerned, ice-fishing will still be cheaper than towing my boat around all summer.

Offline Mongo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Aug 15, 2005, 02:40 PM »
With the rising costs of gas I will be calling in to work more often once the hard water arrives. That way I will be saving gas for the auger.

Offline water walker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Aug 15, 2005, 03:09 PM »
I plan on going at least as much as last year.  Most of the places I go are within 10 miles of my house, so I don't use much fuel to get to them.  For the places further away, I'll need to figure out a way to make them a business trip and let the company pay the fuel bill. ;)
Genius has its limits, but stupidity has no end

Offline olds-Pa

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #14 on: Aug 21, 2005, 12:37 PM »
What with this being my first ice season approaching since retirement, and all the anticipation of it, i'm not going to let the price of gas stop me now. My favorite lake is 45 miles round trip. At the current rate of $2.60 a gallon, iI figure it will only cost $5 bucks a trip........olds

camo_fish

« Reply #15 on: Aug 21, 2005, 09:09 PM »
heck, there are tons of great ice fishing lake within 1 hour of the house and still have 2 nice ones that I can be on the ice in 5-10 mins.  ;D

Offline heymax

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The 38th Wonder of the World!!!!
« Reply #16 on: Aug 22, 2005, 07:05 PM »
I'll save where I can, like I use a Hand auger and I go as lite as I can. Just as a suggestion, remember to winterize your vehicle now to get better mileage down the road.  Max
I was born with nothing........and I still have a little bit of it left.

Offline ol crawdad

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FISH HUNT LIVE
« Reply #17 on: Aug 23, 2005, 10:56 AM »
I plan on going more, but I might not travel as far.

Offline Cin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Aug 23, 2005, 05:11 PM »
We're Americans, since when does rising cost and shrinking supply effect our consumption?  :P

Offline MT Net

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Walleyes on ice, that's nice!
« Reply #19 on: Aug 25, 2005, 09:42 AM »
I'll do more ice fishing this coming hardwater season, it will cost me a lot less. 

I filled up my boat twice this summer; first time I put in 32 gallons at $2.65, last weekend I put in 33 gallons at $3.09 a gallon.   :o

My ice shack doesn't use gas, so it will be much easier on the wallet.   :D

camo_fish

« Reply #20 on: Aug 25, 2005, 07:17 PM »
I'll do more ice fishing this coming hardwater season, it will cost me a lot less. 

My ice shack doesn't use gas, so it will be much easier on the wallet.   :D
Tell me about it, I like your thinking.

I plan on going more, but I might not travel as far.
I was thinking the same thing, heck I really don't go much more than a hour to any of the lakes any way.  ;D

Offline bud

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • never put off till tom. what you can catch today!
« Reply #21 on: Aug 26, 2005, 01:17 PM »
i may travel less but will fish about the same as in all yrs but last.......lol.  had a lot going on last winter
BUD

Offline country boy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Aug 28, 2005, 10:05 AM »
 Just traded in my s-10 for a Saturn Ion. Went from 18 mpg to 35 mpg. I will not stop fishing because of gas!! All I have to do now is figure out how to haul my Trap. If not, just travel a little lighter.

Offline Polar

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Aug 29, 2005, 03:41 PM »
I'll fish just as much.just closer to my home.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an  well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, A fishing pole in one hand, beer in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming \"WOO HOO, what a ride!

Offline Byron/PA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Aug 29, 2005, 06:48 PM »
I really hope to get out as often or more this year............but, reality sucks.
I'm unemployed at the moment, and really have no desire to rejoin the workforce till the hardwater thaws.
Gas prices are haveing an impact on my life, and I presume things will only get worse.
I'm cuting corners, avoiding new toys and trying to stash my pennies for the winter months, but who nows what'll happen.

80% of Americans are unhappy with the direction our once great Country is heading. Yet 80% of Americans insist on buying blue jeans that were made in China, coffee filters that were made in Taiwan and anything else that was made anywhere but here........wonder if there might be a connection?

Offline keny

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • just poken holes
« Reply #25 on: Aug 30, 2005, 01:18 AM »
Fuel here cost around $3.08 a gallon or around .98cents/liter Canadian and has been even higher.Due to my move I am now an hour away from any decent fishing that I`m aware of.

Offline bud

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Aug 30, 2005, 05:50 PM »
maybe we should all car pool!!!!!
BUD

Offline Mongo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Aug 31, 2005, 12:04 PM »
Luckily I live on a lake so I do not have to go far, just out the cellar door.

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Aug 31, 2005, 12:19 PM »
I orginally said I may go more, but with this hurricane and gas prices going through the roof at close to $3/gallon where I am at, I am not sure if I will be making any long trips this year.  Experts say the price could go to $4/gallon by the end of Sept. depending on how long the cleanup takes.  Don't forget that everything else is going to go up with the higher gas prices.  New Orleans imports almost a 1/3 of all US agriculture products into the bay.  That means higher prices at the grocery store on top of the additional cost of gasoline to ship those products.  Some preliminary predictions say that the northeast and mid-atalantic, the areas that use winter fuels the most, is going to have a cold winter and this will only make gas prices and other fuels sore to record highs.  So not only will the gas prices be higher this winter alot of other products will follow suit and may effect my winter fishing plans. :'(    >:( 

Two examples I seen already was today the kids went back to school and the lunches went up 25 cents.  That may not seem like alot, but if you have two kids it can add up.  Also I stopped by to get bottled water for my wifes business and the 5 gallon jugs of water went up 50 cents each.  It definately starting to strickle down. 
Bring on the ice!!!!!!!  <br />      

Offline bud

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Aug 31, 2005, 03:49 PM »
unbelieveable what bush is doing to our country!!!!!!  didn't we go through this the last time we went over there?????   it is too bad there is no way of getting an honest person in the white house.  look who we as a country have had to pick from! kerry and bush........gore and bush.........OMG.  we are really all doomed.  any excuse at all to raise the price of gas.  oh yeah and there were weapons of mass destruction too!  this clown will go down as the biggest looser of all time!!!! fishing will be the last thing we have to worry about unless its to eat.  the great depression will be a bright spot in our history if these a$$es continue to run our country into the ground just to line their pockets.  remember enron.  i think they gave bush a plan for the nation..........mad... ...naw.......just stating the truth!!!
anyone that knows me also knows it takes a lot to get me going but this whole stituation is just outragous!
BUD

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.