Author Topic: Ice Fishing Tournament Tips  (Read 9162 times)

Offline DFresh75

• Team IceShanty Addict
Ice Fishing Tournament Tips
« on: Jan 10, 2013, 10:01 PM »
Guys I'll be  at a fishing tournament and I'm curious if anyone has any advice.

Its a total free for all, do I just study overall structure and try and use Navionics to put me on a shelf or a weedline or is it just luck of the draw if you will catch anything?

Dumb question?  I'm sober. 

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Ice Fishing Tournament Tips
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2013, 04:12 AM »
Tournament is like an exam you can get there ahead of time and study, study,study. A contestis just luck of the draw.

WS+

Offline bait trap

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Original Iceshanty Join date Feb 2004. FRESHBAIT
« Reply #2 on: Jan 11, 2013, 05:52 AM »
On tourney day get out on the ice very early so you can get to your spot that you've decided to fish.  As the sun comes up you'll see the wave of late starters coming out.  As the day progresses don't be afraid to move around, remember no one own the ice.  It's every man/woman/child for themselves during a tourney, tempers may flare. 
Checkin traps and making sure there's FRESHBAIT!!!
[

Offline bwana72

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 11, 2013, 07:01 AM »
You already got the best advise you could have gotten. If you seriously want to compete, you have to pre-fish and know exactly where you are going to go, what you are going to use, etc. before you get there on tournament day. And make sure that you do your pre-fishing early in the morning so that it will be the same as on tournament day. And then, like was also said, make sure that you get there very early and get set up on the spot that you have chosen as your starting point. And also make sure that you don't just find one spot and expect to do well...you need to have a plan B, plan C, and maybe even a plan D. I usually like to have several spots in mind, and then try to stay away from  the main pack as much as I can. But the best advice of all is to remember that it doesn't matter if you get a bite as long as you have a fun day on the ice.
Good Things Come To Those Who Bait

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 11, 2013, 08:45 AM »
as with any tournament, its all about prep work the day(s) before.

1. if its an unknown body of water, talk to a baitshop or 2. 
2. prefish.  you can do this generally in one day.  when i find a spot that holds good fish, evidenced by catching a few of them. i'm done fishing the hole.  save it for the next day.   create a milkrun of spots that you know hold fish.  also having multiple spots also helps if someone is one your spot or spots.  nothing worse than having your go to hole and seeing a guy set up on top of it because he got out at 4am to claim it. 
3. don't follow the crowd.  its easy to just go where everyone else is going.   some of the best spots through are just off shanty town.  pressured fish move off the pressure to the nearest spots.  the only problem is these fish can sometimes go negative.
4.  Prepare all of your stuff the night before.  make sure everything is charged.  string up all your poles, have your bait ready.  i like to load up the truck the nigth before and pull it into the garage. that way we are ready to go in the morning. grab bait pucks and i'm off.  i make a list. 

if you want to win.  these are the things i do to prepare.   

If you want to go and have a good time of fellowship and maybe catch a few fish (90% of people at most of the tournaments around here) i would just prefish it find a decent spot and set up on it. 

good luck.

Offline eyesonice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 11, 2013, 05:33 PM »
After seeing way too much cheating over the years I let everyone else go there and have other spots to myself. I do occasionally buy a raffle ticket as long as I dont meed to be there to win. Good luck :tipup:
FLLLLAAAAAAGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!! GOTCHA;

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #6 on: Jan 11, 2013, 06:36 PM »
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline Fontona19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 11, 2013, 06:41 PM »
Just enjoy yourself.

Offline slekeith

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 11, 2013, 09:02 PM »
Strange that you can go to a turny year after year and see the same people win. Coincidence maybe not. My thought is prefish held overnight.

Offline 7lazy77

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • GO POKES!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 12, 2013, 01:39 AM »
Also a "coincidence" that the winning fish is always turned in the first hour of the first day!  (like a local tournament here)

Offline eyesonice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 12, 2013, 05:54 AM »
The last one I fished the gun shot was still echoing accross a small lake and a guy ran out of his shack wih about a 10lb northern. Yep, he won it and a lot of people complained and did no good.
FLLLLAAAAAAGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!! GOTCHA;

Offline Fatfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 12, 2013, 11:07 AM »
A long time a go down here in a PDC icefisharee a whole family won everything. Well it wasn't long before they were not allowed in a nother. I like an Ice derby a lot more,a lot less chance of cheating. Them fish have to be alive. I keep mine,when I take then in. In a ziplock bag in my pocket.  Jerry

Offline meier247

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 12, 2013, 01:04 PM »
A long time a go down here in a PDC icefisharee a whole family won everything. Well it wasn't long before they were not allowed in a nother. I like an Ice derby a lot more,a lot less chance of cheating. Them fish have to be alive. I keep mine,when I take then in. In a ziplock bag in my pocket.  Jerry
[/quot

heard about that...was the guy from Cassville or something??

Offline bigmike7272

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 12, 2013, 02:03 PM »
get away from the crowds. most tournaments i've gone too the winning fish always seem to come from the guy that is sittin on his bucket all alone, away from the crowd of shacks.

Tell me and I'll forget. Show me and I'll remember some of it. Involve me and I will have lifetime knowledge.

-Anomymous

Offline Michaelo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 12, 2013, 04:31 PM »
Prefish the lake the weekend before or so and get a few spots figured out. Study a map and just do your homework.

Offline Seedtree

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The older I get, the better I was.
« Reply #15 on: Jan 12, 2013, 06:19 PM »
I would go back to InFishermen's system of FLPS.  Fish + Location + Presentation = Success.

Learn about the species you are targeting.  What is their forage base in the water you are fishing?  Where is that forage likely to be when you are there?  What is the best way to "match the hatch"?  Then make a programme and implement it.  Adjust and fine tune as you go.

Offline AugustWest

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 12, 2013, 08:22 PM »
Like I posted previous...if you are not a local, get to know the locals :whistle:
AW

Offline Hard Water Maniacs

• IceShanty Rookie
  • "Learn what you can, but teach what you know!"
« Reply #17 on: Jan 13, 2013, 08:46 PM »
Study the lake, the structure, cribs, weed lines, ect. Prefish during the hours you will be fishing the tournament. Keep in mind most permanent shacks are in their spots for a reason, never a bad idea to check those areas. Use the internet as a study tool, you would be surprised what you can learn about a lake before you even step foot on it. Also check different forums about the lake you will be fishing. Northeasticefishing.co m interviews the winners of a bunch of different tournaments, see if the lake you are fishing on is there, they share tips and strategies. Always talk to the locals and local bait shops, dont be afraid to ask them what they are using. last but not least, Have Fun!! ~Mandy
H.W.M.  Youth Mentoring Director
Team Extreme Ice Circuit/ Wisconsin Director
Frabill Pro Staff
K&E Stopper Pro 
Jaw Jacker Pro 
ION Pro Staff
HT Pro Staff
Vexilar Promoter
U.S.A. Ice Team qualifier

Offline reddog11

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lunker Lewie is the son of Adirondack Lew.
« Reply #18 on: Jan 16, 2013, 11:31 AM »
Dynamite. ;)
Master Laker taker.

Offline cobber

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 16, 2013, 11:53 AM »
thanks

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com