Author Topic: Home made perch bait  (Read 8747 times)

Offline montanahardwater

• Team IceShanty Regular
Home made perch bait
« on: Nov 30, 2012, 07:03 PM »
Any body else have a recipe for perch bait?

Gold fish food, 1 Fish oil pill juice mix it up with a little flour. make dough balls like carp and catfish bait.
Ya dont need to make much. I keep mine in an old power bait jar. some times just the scent on a little twistie tail or a fuzzy grub will get the FRENZY going. I have also picked up trout on this.

Offline The Busdriver

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Home made perch bait
« Reply #1 on: Nov 30, 2012, 07:52 PM »
Is the fish oil pill Omega 3?

Bullelk34

« Reply #2 on: Nov 30, 2012, 08:45 PM »
Not a recipe, but I've been using tiny strips of bacon fat the past few years and there are days the perch really go for it.

Offline laclabiche walleye hunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 30, 2012, 08:53 PM »
Not a recipe, but I've been using tiny strips of bacon fat the past few years and there are days the perch really go for it.

X2 on the bacon sometimes they realy get into it other days not so much.

Offline quinn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 30, 2012, 09:03 PM »
once I noticed when i was eating a shrimp ring that theres some leftover shrimp meat in the tail ends of all the shrimp. so i decided to take the meat out which was very easy to do. i tried it out with the perch the next day and it worked very well.  They had some troubles getting the meat actually off the hook so i wasn't rebaiting my hook all the time.
"There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce serenity of mind" Washington Irving

Offline montanahardwater

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 01, 2012, 11:45 AM »
Omega 3  we give it to our lab to help with the shedding and he loves them as a treat.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #6 on: Dec 01, 2012, 11:57 AM »
A little strip of perch belly with the end split gets 'em too. Not really home made, does ice made count, ha. And the best is eyes.     :woot: :whistle:

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #7 on: Dec 01, 2012, 12:04 PM »
once I noticed when i was eating a shrimp ring that theres some leftover shrimp meat in the tail ends of all the shrimp. so i decided to take the meat out which was very easy to do. i tried it out with the perch the next day and it worked very well.  They had some troubles getting the meat actually off the hook so i wasn't rebaiting my hook all the time.

I've used the cans of tiny cocktail shrimp for years. Doesn't seem to matter if it's fresh or canned to the fish. Tell 'em Charlie sent ya.  ;D
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 01, 2012, 04:11 PM »
Much Much better than the cocktail shrimp is Raw uncooked shrimp.
Stays on way way better and doesnt fall apart like the cocktail variety. A lot of lakes have tiny freshwater shrimp in them and I am guessing they must taste/smell the same.
I cut them up into small pieces at home and even paying $6 a pound when not on sale I think they end up costing $.01 per bait.
They actually look a lot like a Custon Jigs and Spins Shrimpo jig. In the lakes around where I live I have had them pop out when drilling holes in the ice and I plunge the auger through.
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Offline SeisMec

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'd rather be fishing!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 01, 2012, 05:57 PM »
In the lakes around where I live I have had them pop out when drilling holes in the ice and I plunge the auger through.

I've fished a couple of lakes like that, the bite there sucked all winter long and if you did catch something, when you go it on the ice they would just start spewing shrimp.

Offline Team Robinson

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Team Robinson
« Reply #10 on: Dec 01, 2012, 06:01 PM »
I've fished a couple of lakes like that, the bite there sucked all winter long and if you did catch something, when you go it on the ice they would just start spewing shrimp.

Do you mean crawfish?. All I can imagine is salt water shrimp when I hear shrimp
This is why I left NY

"..you and others are free to pursue Big Foot for the purpose of documenting their existence provided none are harmed..." -- Mark Kandel, Regional Wildlife Manager, NYSDEC - Region 9

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #11 on: Dec 01, 2012, 06:12 PM »
Here ya go T Rob.       http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mysida          ;)2

Offline SeisMec

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'd rather be fishing!
« Reply #12 on: Dec 01, 2012, 06:15 PM »
Do you mean crawfish?. All I can imagine is salt water shrimp when I hear shrimp
Nope, shrimp.  Also known as Gammarus Shrimp, Scuds, Side Swimmers. There are two types of freshwater Shrimp, these are the Hyella shrimp and the Gammarus shrimp.

Offline Team Robinson

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Team Robinson
« Reply #13 on: Dec 02, 2012, 07:37 AM »
New to me. Saw the link and did some more searching to get an education on these shrimp. Learned something.
This is why I left NY

"..you and others are free to pursue Big Foot for the purpose of documenting their existence provided none are harmed..." -- Mark Kandel, Regional Wildlife Manager, NYSDEC - Region 9

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.