Author Topic: Old LL Bean sled - anyone have any info??  (Read 10010 times)

Offline volume4130

• Team IceShanty Regular
Old LL Bean sled - anyone have any info??
« on: Jan 23, 2012, 08:06 PM »
My uncle retired from ice fishing a few years ago and moved south, so he left with me a bunch of his stuff.  The gem of the collection was this old sled from LL Bean.  I'm not sure if he bought it new, or used, or what - I don't see him that much anymore and every time I do, I always forget to ask about the sled.  He's about 70, and I'm guess that he's had it at least 30 or 40 years, but I have no idea really. 

Has anyone ever seen this sled or know anything about it??  I'm mostly trying to find out how old it is, but all info is welcome (if you you have any).

Offline Indie

• Team IceShanty Addict

Offline mdrobny

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • common sense is no longer common
Re: Old LL Bean sled - anyone have any info??
« Reply #2 on: Jan 23, 2012, 08:14 PM »
kiss him when you see him next.  THAT THINGS AWESOME!      really well crafted and practical!!

surflizard

« Reply #3 on: Jan 23, 2012, 08:17 PM »
I haven't seen one of the old Bean fold up sleds since my Granddad was alive, over 40 years ago ! I've only seen them in picture since,You are a Very lucky guy ! Looks to be in Mint condition too, Definately a rare find, even the Babishe tow loops are original, a True Family Heirloom, Congrats !

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Jan 23, 2012, 08:28 PM »
That's beautiful too bad they don't make them anymore, I'd buy one in a second.  I might have to try to make one.

Offline rugby ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 23, 2012, 08:48 PM »
NICE, I have my dad's creepers from when he was way younger. Nice to have those memories. Put some Old English on it to preserve the wood.
http://

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Need larger flamethrower, you will...!"
« Reply #6 on: Jan 23, 2012, 09:25 PM »
Wow, what a beauty, looks to be pretty much solid oak  ;D

Offline mdrobny

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • common sense is no longer common
« Reply #7 on: Jan 23, 2012, 09:28 PM »
where did ya get that extra large milk crate? that's a nice article too!  I came back to eyeball that sled somemore and noticed the crate. :tipup:

Offline get your own hole

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 23, 2012, 10:57 PM »
Very nice

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 24, 2012, 07:58 AM »
That is a real treasure that would drive me bonkers.

I would want to keep it and use it but I would also want to modify it with plastic/poly runners on the ski surfaces and ruin the antique value. You may be able to find a pair of snow skis and figure a way to strap them on without drilling the wood but I would certainly want to protect the bent wood runners at all costs.

It looks as though your Uncle had very nice taste in equipment and spared no expense. LL Bean gear was always top notch stuff and I would love to see the tip ups he had if you have them.
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline BuckyBadger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 24, 2012, 08:54 AM »
Very Cool,  I also haven't seen one of these for years,  my Grandfather used to run a tree farm and they would use those sleds to haul out the Christmas trees for people.   I went back years ago looking in the farm buildings for the sleds but they were long gone or destroyed.

Offline mojofish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 24, 2012, 10:32 AM »
Have you tried contacting LL Bean dirctly. I think that they do employ company archivists; Just looked one up that sold for around $500. So maybe you don't want to beat on it too hard.
It's Better to Beg for Forgiveness than to Ask for Permission

Offline grumpyoldude

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 24, 2012, 04:16 PM »
Great Gift. I would think twice before I using it. Deserves to cleaned and hung  on the wall.
I would attempt to build one for use today, maybe a couple of modifications, but defiantly preserve the original. Just my 2 cents. Enjoy it either way  :tipup:

Offline volume4130

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 24, 2012, 04:16 PM »
I haven't seen one of the old Bean fold up sleds since my Granddad was alive, over 40 years ago ! I've only seen them in picture since,You are a Very lucky guy ! Looks to be in Mint condition too, Definately a rare find, even the Babishe tow loops are original, a True Family Heirloom, Congrats !

I was very surprised that the tow loops held up!  The only thing I changed on it was the tow rope, which was just a junky rope anyway.  It's in great shape, there's hardly any rust on the metal latch/bracket thing too!

That is a real treasure that would drive me bonkers.

I would want to keep it and use it but I would also want to modify it with plastic/poly runners on the ski surfaces and ruin the antique value. You may be able to find a pair of snow skis and figure a way to strap them on without drilling the wood but I would certainly want to protect the bent wood runners at all costs.

This has been the only thing that stinks about it...its no good in deep snow, as the runners dig in too much...I'm thinking about doing mods to the top part, that sits on the sled, maybe make a box instead of just bungees and eyelets...we'll see; I don't have much room to spare in my VW, so this thing fits perfectly!

Offline volume4130

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 24, 2012, 04:21 PM »
Great Gift. I would think twice before I using it. Deserves to cleaned and hung  on the wall.
I would attempt to build one for use today, maybe a couple of modifications, but defiantly preserve the original. Just my 2 cents. Enjoy it either way  :tipup:
Have you tried contacting LL Bean dirctly. I think that they do employ company archivists; Just looked one up that sold for around $500. So maybe you don't want to beat on it too hard.

We've had a very mild winter in the Boston area this year, so it's only seen the ice once, which I guess could be fortunate or unfortunate?? 

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 24, 2012, 04:27 PM »

I agree Grumpy! I have the perfect spot right along side of my Flexible Flyer on the fire place mantle. I would never even think of using it except as a pattern and any modification will destroy the value.

Offline Coach

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 24, 2012, 08:23 PM »
I have worked for Beans for 32 years and I have never seen this sled. A good friend of mine has worked there for 44 years, I will ask him to look at this picture of your sled and see if he can remember it. I would send Beans an e-mail with a picture of it. We are celebrating our 100 year anniversary this year and they are encouraging customers to write in with their comments and experiences and I think they would like to see how well this has held up.

Offline volume4130

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 25, 2012, 05:35 AM »
I have worked for Beans for 32 years and I have never seen this sled. A good friend of mine has worked there for 44 years, I will ask him to look at this picture of your sled and see if he can remember it. I would send Beans an e-mail with a picture of it. We are celebrating our 100 year anniversary this year and they are encouraging customers to write in with their comments and experiences and I think they would like to see how well this has held up.

Thanks for the info...I tried to do that on the site, through the email button, but couldn't find a spot to attach the pictures.  Do you have an address I can send these to??  I tried the live chat, and that's what they told me to do, but I couldn't find the correct email spot to attach the pictures.

Offline P Meyette

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 25, 2012, 06:18 AM »
 neat sled would love to have one

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 25, 2012, 06:33 AM »
Just to clear up some possible misconceptions. Having some input from Bean employees is a major benefit.

The label on the sled probably just signifies this sled was sold by LL Bean but does not necessarily mean it was made by Bean. I tend to think it was likely made by a small company, likely a Maine company and could certainly be a company who's main product was building canoes and other "Bent Wood" products. It does have the look of either northern Maine or even the NY Adirondacks. Old Town Canoe comes to mind or possibly a Toboggan maker . The Bean label is absolutely a very significant identifier and should be preserved at all costs. I would refrain from doing any refinishing or modifications until you are fully aware of it's value.

It may be worth more to you as a family heirloom but it could also be loaned to Bean for their 100 year display. As I have stated previously, it deserves a place where it will be preserved and should not be put to use unless you just don't care which would be sad. There are many other options for dragging your gear today.

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
« Reply #20 on: Jan 25, 2012, 08:07 AM »
My friends grandfather had one that we used to haul the gas auger around with. Until now I've never seen another out there.  My friend still has it but it is nowhere close to the condition of that one.

I wouldn't use it, I'd preserve it and use something else to beat up hauling gear
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline mojofish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 26, 2012, 01:28 PM »
I think that washing machine is more vintage.
It's Better to Beg for Forgiveness than to Ask for Permission

Offline iwantone2.4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 26, 2012, 03:13 PM »
Preserve that sucker. One heck of a cool sled!!

When luck becomes habit it turns into skill

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Jan 26, 2012, 03:34 PM »

You might want to think a little less! That sled is as old or older than me and the washer is probably from the eighties or newer when my kids could already be having a few kids of their own.

I have not found any substantial info yet but I am pretty sure that sled is well over 60.

Offline Coach

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 26, 2012, 05:30 PM »
Volume4130, I sent you another PM

Offline volume4130

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 26, 2012, 08:07 PM »

Easy on the old girl...she still gets the job done!  Plus in a rental, I'm glad to have anything!  you should see the dryer!

Coach, got your messages and responded!

I spoke with my uncle this afternoon actually and he said he got the sled in an auction at least 30 years ago.  He was a big antique collector, so that would lead me to believe that it is quite a few years older than that...

Judging by all the comments on here, I think a Jet Sled may be in my future...

Offline brycro

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 26, 2012, 08:11 PM »
That is a real beauty...definitely grab a jet sled.  Would love to see some more pics if it isn't too much trouble.  Many of us will never see something like that up close.  Like to see a pic of the bottom of the skis.  How thick are the skis on it?  Absolutely nice!
I envy not him that eats better meat than I do; nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do. – Izaak Walton

Offline Coach

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Feb 01, 2012, 04:50 PM »
Volume4130, I sent you another PM

Offline theoleman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Feb 01, 2012, 05:00 PM »
Nice old packbasket too. I would echo the previous posts, Preserve what you have and cherish it  and use it for a pattern rather than taking a chance on ruining a nice heirloom.
Theoleman

Offline volume4130

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Feb 08, 2012, 04:29 PM »
Well, I've been getting a lot of comments on this thread and even a few PM's...many more than I expected!  Thanks to everyone who contributed some information or advice!  Anyone who is making their version of this sled...I wanna see it!  I have a bunch of pictures and measurements if anyone else wants them, just PM me your email address and I'll send them along.

Thanks to Coach, I have some more information on the origins of the sled.  He put me in contact with someone in the Museum and Archive Facility at LL Bean and this what she had to say:

Dear Ted:

The item in question is our Bean’s Folding Sled. The catalog copy reads: “Strong enough to hold 1,000 pounds, yet weighs only 7¼ lbs. Originally designed to haul game into camp, but is very useful for ice fishing, skating parties, and for carrying food and equipment to camp. In case of accident can be used for hauling injured. Length 36”. Width 18”. Height 6 ½”. Dimensions when folded: Length 51” x 8 ¾” x 5”. Can be carried comfortably in car trunk, on running board or back seat. When not in use can be folded and hung on wall, taking very little space. Price $4.65 postpaid. Also comes in 48” length. Price $5.85 postpaid.”

The first appearance of the sled at Bean was in our 1940 Fall catalog and we sold it  through 1979. However, in 1968 the manufacturer changed the binding from around the “rope rings” from flat leather strips to longer lasting rawhide. That would actually date your sled to approximately 44 years old. The sled was manufactured in Maine, most likely at Paris Mfg. Co., and is oak. They were made to withstand the weather and heavy hauling.

It is a collector’s piece, although many “Mainers” still use their folding sleds today in various and very practical ways. I’ve seen earlier versions dating back to the 40s sell at auction for $300-$500, depending on condition. That makes us very happy to have several of the sleds in both lengths in our collection!

Pretty cool stuff...thanks again, Coach!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.