Author Topic: Transducer mount for ice fishing  (Read 8456 times)

Offline dabluz

• Team IceShanty Addict
Transducer mount for ice fishing
« on: Jan 06, 2012, 03:42 PM »
This has probably been asked before but strangely enough, I have not seen much about this subject.  I would like to know how the ice fishermen who use sonars, organize how they install their transducers into the ice hole.  Ideally, I would like to put my transducer into the same hole that I am fishing therefore that means that I would like my transducer to end up below the ice and off to one side of the hole.  Anyone have such a setup?  Could they show me a few diagrams or photos?

Offline Hagigun

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "...It's the reckoning."
Re: Transducer mount for ice fishing
« Reply #1 on: Jan 06, 2012, 03:56 PM »
I just use what tools it comes with, nothing special.

Just adjust your ducer's cord length and use the Vexilar stopper to shorten or lengthen cord so it hangs just below Ice. You will have to adjust depending on ice thickness throughout the season.

Then, only let out enough cord to have the ducer stay on 1 side of the hole. So I will usually set my vex on the right side of my hole, I will have the ducer and cord come out, but only enough cord to have the ducer hang freely straight down, but no more. Then with the excess cord, i just set my vex on top so no more cord comes out so it doesn't float around my hole.

Basically like a dog leash. IF you don't want him swimming around the hole, don't give him enough leash to do that. Just enough leash to get what you want done.

I'm sure someone has a neat little invention they made.
Why?
....Because I can't can't Golf with Ice on the lake!

Tinker

« Reply #2 on: Jan 06, 2012, 04:25 PM »
I run my boat sonar fish eagle 320c.  I don't think its great for ice fishing but is better than nothing.  I made a little "bracket" out of pvc pipe so it would just hang verticle from the cable as it is a skimmer transducer for the boat.  Thats it, hangs from the home made plywood sonar mount/battery pack in the same hole I am fishing with transducer just under the ice.  I adjust the cord length by simply wrapping or unwrapping from around the plywood holder.  I fish mostly in a homemade shack with a plywood floor, when I hook a fish I simply use my foot to slide the unit away from the hole pulling the transducer out and eliminating tangles with a hooked fish. 

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #3 on: Jan 06, 2012, 04:59 PM »
The transducer just hangs straight down the hole just below the bottom of the ice If I hook a good fish I pull the transducer out of the hole. The easiest way is buy a ice ducer and not use the one off your boat. I like my flasher up on a bucket so I don't have to reach down so far to grab the ducer out when I hook a good fish, or to adjust it, it also keeps the battery from getting cold, sitting directly on the ice shortens battery life. A cold battery loses more power than a warm one.

Offline zadvorney

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gobi Dick sank my boat!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 06, 2012, 06:29 PM »
I mounted a spare transome bracket to a tip up.  then I just mount my transducer to that.  works fine but a dedicated transducer for ice is by far a better option.
If life were easy everybody would have one.

Offline ND_Perch

• IceShanty Rookie

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.