Author Topic: Spud Bar  (Read 8868 times)

Offline SLABSLAMMER

• Team IceShanty Regular
Spud Bar
« on: Nov 26, 2009, 01:00 PM »
Where is the best place to get a spud bar ? Or do you guys make them all i can find are short ones , can you get a 4 or 5 footer some where ?

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Spud Bar
« Reply #1 on: Nov 26, 2009, 02:04 PM »
The ones I see around here are usually 2 piece and around 5'. I made mine 25 years ago. I don't use it often...but it's there when I need it.

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline Pork Rind

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 26, 2009, 04:56 PM »
Where is the best place to get a spud bar ? Or do you guys make them all i can find are short ones , can you get a 4 or 5 footer some where ?

Jiffy makes a nice one check with Angler in Ashley In. I got mine at Jays in Clare Mi.  Its called Mille Lacs Ice Chisel, its about 4 ft long.

Also I see we are neighbors. 
Pork Rind

Clam Pro Staff, Vexilar Pro Staff, Lure Lipstick Pro Staff, Aqua-Vu Pro Staff

Offline SLABSLAMMER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 26, 2009, 05:09 PM »
Jiffy makes a nice one check with Angler in Ashley In. I got mine at Jays in Clare Mi.  Its called Mille Lacs Ice Chisel, its about 4 ft long.

Also I see we are neighbors. 

Hey, great to see a neighbor on here !! going to Angler tomorrow ,(has his sale this weekend ) I'll check them out ! Thanks for info . maybe we can hook up on the ice sometime , where do you usually post ? I post mostly on Indiana site just because that's where I fish most often , do hit LaSueAnn when I can get through ( that's a joke ) never got into those trophy gills they so call manage it for though, a lot of numbers but you can only keep 10 not really worth the hassle with all the other good lakes around IMO.

tight lines,

Slab

Offline rodrunner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 26, 2009, 05:55 PM »
yep..get the jiffy ice chisel..Light weight,about 4 feet long and will punch a heck of a hole!

[img]http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee5/elkcrazedfrk/TeamWyoming1.jpg[img]

Offline Pork Rind

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 26, 2009, 05:58 PM »
Post here and FishMichigan.net. midwest angling.com and ., I fish alot in Michigan,some in Indiana.   Or anywhere there is ICE. :tipup: :icefish: :icefish:  

Most definitely we can hook up on the ice if it ever gets here, >:( >:( >:(

Not sure if angler has them, but good place to start;

State has totally completely screwed up La Su Ann hasn't been worth a damn the year after they got it  IMO :%$#!: :%$#!: :%$#!: :cookoo: :cookoo:
Pork Rind

Offline sawblade

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 26, 2009, 06:21 PM »
I picked up the Mille Lacs Ice Chisel from KTP.com for $60. plus $6. shipping. It was the cheapest I could find anywhere.

Offline Spud_bar

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Poppin' Swedish Pimples since '96
« Reply #7 on: Nov 26, 2009, 06:32 PM »
hey that's me! haha. my spud's a 5' section of tractor pto shaft with a blade on the end. whatever works.
All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

Offline amortec

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • May Your Rattle Reel's Ring Often!!!
« Reply #8 on: Nov 26, 2009, 06:50 PM »
Get your self a Ice Ox $ 39.95
I only work so that I can afford to fish, hunt, & farm

Offline Pork Rind

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 26, 2009, 06:53 PM »
Think mine was 40.00 at Jays ?
Pork Rind

Offline highsparks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 26, 2009, 07:36 PM »
  I use a 5' pinch bar as my spud bar , picked it up at an auction for $6.  I dont use it to make holes though , just for ensuring safe ice ....
Its better to be thought an idiot , than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.......

Offline crazy man

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Greetings
« Reply #11 on: Nov 26, 2009, 07:39 PM »
Reeds has a nice selection of bars made for ice fishing.  A more old fashioned hole diggin bar can be purchase from your local hardware and I have one.  They are multi purpose but are much bigger and heavier than an ice spud. 

Offline walleye tattoo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wisconsin chapter
« Reply #12 on: Nov 26, 2009, 07:47 PM »
Farm and Fleet here has some at the start ouf the season.

Live to fish forced to work

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Well? Where's the fish!!
« Reply #13 on: Nov 26, 2009, 07:50 PM »
Here's my 2pc 4' homemade unit!

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #14 on: Nov 26, 2009, 08:09 PM »
I stopped at a repair shop where farmers have equipment and stuff fixed. They had steel rods and iron on hand. Had them make me a spud bar that is about 5 ft long with a stair stepped cut piece of iron on it for about $15 then spray painted it orange. My brother had one made, and uses it to make his holes when he goes ice fishing since he doesn't have and auger. I kind of laughed when I meet him ice fishing on the lake. He made a nice hole in a foot of ice, but it wasn't the greatest looking hole. I never seem to use it much, but usually throw it in the back of the pickup just incase the Jiffy wouldn't start, or I'd run out of gas. Never have had that problem though.

Offline taggedfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Nov 26, 2009, 08:54 PM »
I also use a spud at the beginning and end of the season to test the ice, to noisy to punch holes with.

Offline Pork Rind

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Nov 26, 2009, 09:18 PM »
I also use a spud at the beginning and end of the season to test the ice, to noisy to punch holes with.

+1   :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Pork Rind

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #17 on: Nov 26, 2009, 10:04 PM »
Without a doubt, Jiffy makes one of the best chisels on the market. I have the 2 piece and never leave home without it. All season.

JIGGIN.

Offline Higginjiggen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Nov 26, 2009, 11:41 PM »
Hey another neighbor here heading over to the Angler in the morning for their sale. Actually a spud bar is on my shopping list i'll let you know what i find.

Offline pikeking

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Nov 27, 2009, 03:37 AM »
Make your own,,, they are easy and you can form it to any shape you want. I made a few 2 years ago and they are still out there being used each year.
If fishing was work I'd never be sick!

Offline Oldbear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Nov 27, 2009, 05:07 AM »
A lot of times farm stores or home improvement stores will have a long handled chisel bar that are cheaper than the sporting good stores.

Offline Dizzy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Nov 27, 2009, 07:35 AM »

I have the Mille Lacs 1-pc ice chisel and as others have noted, "won't leave home without it." Use it just as you would a "walking stick" if hiking and it gives you real peace of mind, especially if you fish alone and/or during first/last ice.

Having said that, it would be a fairly easy item to make yourself if you have the means. If not, definitely buy one... it could save your life.

Offline Woodsman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Nov 27, 2009, 07:46 AM »
Here's one I made a few years ago.
T-handle & safety wrist strap are so it doesn't make a quick trip to the bottom.
Lines on the shaft above the blade every 2" are for measuring ice thickness. Hook top of blade on bottom of ice & measure. Over 12" & I don't care about measuring or using spud other than opening existing holes.

Living proof that "beer builds better bellies"

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #23 on: Nov 27, 2009, 08:00 AM »
I use the 4' Jiffy all winter long  esp out on the ice   when ya plant it it cuts!!!  I use it as my cane on the ice to help me around     Also  cuts thru ice dams on the roof of the house   ya gotta be careful though ya dont cut it too far and too deep!   it will cut thru shingles and plywood
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #24 on: Nov 27, 2009, 10:33 AM »
Here's one I made a few years ago.
T-handle & safety wrist strap are so it doesn't make a quick trip to the bottom.
Lines on the shaft above the blade every 2" are for measuring ice thickness. Hook top of blade on bottom of ice & measure. Over 12" & I don't care about measuring or using spud other than opening existing holes.
(Image removed from quote.)

I like the idea of having inch measurements on the spud, I think I'll add that to the orange one I made.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #25 on: Nov 27, 2009, 04:07 PM »

I like the idea of having inch measurements on the spud, I think I'll add that to the orange one I made.

make it easier to see on the camera when you forgot to use the strap on it  and it goes thru!  lol
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline SLABSLAMMER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Nov 27, 2009, 06:12 PM »
Hey another neighbor here heading over to the Angler in the morning for their sale. Actually a spud bar is on my shopping list i'll let you know what i find.

Picked one up at the Angler today for $20 locally made excellent quality ( love it does not say made in CHINA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Offline BigJohn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Nov 27, 2009, 07:05 PM »
The jiffy Mil Lacs works great.

Offline amortec

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • May Your Rattle Reel's Ring Often!!!
« Reply #28 on: Nov 27, 2009, 09:56 PM »
A local Shop manufactures this one, very sharp & will hold the edge of the hole real good, works great for opening up a partly frozen hole.
I only work so that I can afford to fish, hunt, & farm

Offline Higginjiggen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Nov 27, 2009, 11:30 PM »
Picked one up at the Angler today for $20 locally made excellent quality ( love it does not say made in CHINA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Went to the Angler today too. Their spud bars werent exactly what i was looking for so gonna make my own. But i did buy a new 7" lazer hand auger, a pair of the new Ice Armor boots, A new 16" shanty pole and lots of new jigs. Walked out $300 poorer but a lot happier. By the way the sale is still on tomorrow lots of good deals. $30 off the boots, $10 off the auger, $10 off the pole and several free jigs

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.