Author Topic: Humminbird Ice Series Flashers, 1 year later..... Opinions?  (Read 8854 times)

Offline TIBS

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tipup!!!!!
Alright, Humminbird has been in the game for a year now, and some of you guys bought these units last year.  I would like to hear from you your experiences with the units, whether you bought a 35, 45, or 55.

I did a search on these things, and there isn't much about them after the start of the season last year.  There's a bunch of second and third hand comments about them.....

"I heard from a guy who knows a guy who bought one who wasn't happy with it....."<---- There is a lot of this useless info on here, what I'm looking for is people who actually own them and used them extensively last year.

I currently own an FL-8, but am frustrated with not having zooming capabilities, and the 120' depth is not deep enough, I have a fair size trout lake near here I would like to spend more time on, but the water gets to 140'-150' deep in a hurry in most places.  Having only 120' of viewing really limits me on where I can go on this particular body of water.  

I will not buy an FL-18 or Marcum, I want to get away from the snow collectors, and I may have a unique opportunity to pick up a Humminbird on the cheap, as long as I have some confidence in these things.  If I don't like the results of this thread, then I'll just stick with my FL-8

Specifically what I would like to know is:
1. How well do these units pick up jigs in shallow and deep water?  (deep being 50' or more)
2. How's the battery life?
3. If you have had any problems, what specifically was it?  "It doesn't work like a Vexilar or Marcum" isn't very specific, what exactly didn't you like?

Offline limitingout

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Humminbird Ice Series Flashers, 1 year later..... Opinions?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 29, 2009, 06:09 PM »
I own and use ice 55 awsome unit zoom any part of water colum digital display very pleased and dont forget the big screen i bought mine last year online and they shipped two by mistake kept one sold the other for 400 bucks and bought a brand new flip over shanty talk about sweet

Offline SkeeterJeff

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SPUD, SPUD, SPUD!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: Oct 29, 2009, 08:37 PM »
You refer to the FL18 and Marcums as "snow collectors".  Is that because of the shield around the display, like the one on your FL8?  If so, why not consider the FL20?  It has 6 and 12 feet zoom and is good down to 200 feet. 

-Jeff

Offline TIBS

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tipup!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: Oct 29, 2009, 08:51 PM »
You refer to the FL18 and Marcums as "snow collectors".  Is that because of the shield around the display, like the one on your FL8?  If so, why not consider the FL20?  It has 6 and 12 feet zoom and is good down to 200 feet. 

-Jeff

Not interested in digging that deep into my pocket for a fl-20, or a fl-12 for that matter, I can get a humminbird 35 for next to nothing out of pocket after I get rid of my fl-8, if I decide to do so.

I do have the blue bag on my fl-8 for now, but it's hard to see thru the clear plastic, and I always seem to be able to kick snow in that display shield, or it blows in.  I tried the Mag shield, hated it, got rid of it after 1 use.  The angle I look at my flasher, the mag shield seems to distort it some.  If I could get my bracket to hold the unit at the right angle, it might have worked, but it would always loosen up and move.

Offline ice 45

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Oct 29, 2009, 09:10 PM »
i have an 45 and i love it i have never fished over thirty foot but does great picking up jig in thirty has pretty decent target seperation, never gets interference, love reading it at night only down fall is it does eat a battery faster then the others but will still last a whole day in my opinion other then that great flasher

"The temptation to quit will be greatest just before you are about to succeed."

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #5 on: Oct 29, 2009, 09:22 PM »
TIBS,

Be the pioneer, not the trail dust.

I did that when I bought the Marcum LX5.  Took one look of it in the store and I said to myself, I like how the lines on that unit looks, so crisp and sharp.  No one else's experience will be the same as yours.  I hear lots of rave about it, but I found lots of quirks and shortcomings about it as well.  Alas, it's a tool and I learn to use it for what it is.  I'm going to build a cover for it to keep the snow from going into it.  Only this sheild is going to cover the whole front of the unit.  Problem solved.

read this: http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=119510.0

or go directly to Scott Steil's blog http://d132321.sw55.sitewhirkshost.com/blog/index.cfm/2009/1/27/Humminbrid-ICE-55Colors

Add a little secret ingredient called putting two and two together...I think he's done a pretty good job of reviewing the unit.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline TIBS

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tipup!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: Oct 31, 2009, 10:21 AM »
TIBS,

Be the pioneer, not the trail dust.

I did that when I bought the Marcum LX5.  Took one look of it in the store and I said to myself, I like how the lines on that unit looks, so crisp and sharp.  No one else's experience will be the same as yours.  I hear lots of rave about it, but I found lots of quirks and shortcomings about it as well.  Alas, it's a tool and I learn to use it for what it is.  I'm going to build a cover for it to keep the snow from going into it.  Only this sheild is going to cover the whole front of the unit.  Problem solved.

read this: http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=119510.0

or go directly to Scott Steil's blog http://d132321.sw55.sitewhirkshost.com/blog/index.cfm/2009/1/27/Humminbrid-ICE-55Colors

Add a little secret ingredient called putting two and two together...I think he's done a pretty good job of reviewing the unit.

Unless you didn't intend to send me a link about the color choices on the 55, that article really doesn't say much about these flashers other than there's 3 color palettes on the 55.

While I'd love to be a pioneer, I don't want to give up a tried and true tool for something brand new to the market place.  I've done some other research on other sites, and it would seem that at least last year, the ice-55 may have had some manufacturing issues to work out..... seen a few different threads about bad LCD dials in the middle.  I still haven't seen anything bad about the ice 35, which is the one I'm probably going to get.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #7 on: Oct 31, 2009, 02:16 PM »
Not interested in digging that deep into my pocket for a fl-20, or a fl-12 for that matter, I can get a humminbird 35 for next to nothing out of pocket after I get rid of my fl-8, if I decide to do so.

I do have the blue bag on my fl-8 for now, but it's hard to see thru the clear plastic, and I always seem to be able to kick snow in that display shield, or it blows in.  I tried the Mag shield, hated it, got rid of it after 1 use.  The angle I look at my flasher, the mag shield seems to distort it some.  If I could get my bracket to hold the unit at the right angle, it might have worked, but it would always loosen up and move.

Does the Ice 35 have zoom on it?

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #8 on: Oct 31, 2009, 02:38 PM »
I put a piece of shrink wrap (saran wrap type stuff) over the dial on my FL 18 with a rubber band. Keeps the crud out and doesn't distort the dial. If it isn't snowing or blowing it stays in my pocket.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline TIBS

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tipup!!!!!
« Reply #9 on: Oct 31, 2009, 02:45 PM »
Does the Ice 35 have zoom on it?

Yes, all the humminbirds have zoom, as well as dual cone transducers, in fact the only major difference between the 35 & 45 is the auto depth lcd scale in the middle.  45's & 55's have it, 35's don't.  55's have a 6 color display and a couple other small features that make it different than the 45.  Power steps up between the 3 also, 35's run @ 800 watts, 45's are like 1600 watts, and 55's are 2400 watts.

I'm all but sold on the 35, still looking for someone to give me some more info on that particular unit.

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #10 on: Oct 31, 2009, 06:31 PM »
I used a 35 off and on for 60 days last yr and I wasnt terribly impressed. I didnt like how thick the marks were on it and the target seperation wasnt very good.Especially close to the bottom. I may be spoiled though as Im used to my Lx 5. I did let a few others use it and they were able to catch fish with it,but of the 4 units in the shack it was the least favored. I found that the display was very easily scratched as well. We used this in 12 to 20 ft of water.

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Oct 31, 2009, 06:48 PM »
I found that the display was very easily scratched as well.

The same thing happened to my buddy's vexilar flat screen display. He didn't like how easily it was to get scratched and ended up selling it.
Ken                                          

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #12 on: Oct 31, 2009, 06:59 PM »
If a guy could buy one for $229 would you?

Offline TIBS

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tipup!!!!!
« Reply #13 on: Oct 31, 2009, 07:04 PM »
I used a 35 off and on for 60 days last yr and I wasnt terribly impressed. I didnt like how thick the marks were on it and the target seperation wasnt very good.Especially close to the bottom. I may be spoiled though as Im used to my Lx 5. I did let a few others use it and they were able to catch fish with it,but of the 4 units in the shack it was the least favored. I found that the display was very easily scratched as well. We used this in 12 to 20 ft of water.

Yours is the first I've seen that had issues with target seperation, I'm not at all impressed with the FL-8 seperation, I doubt I would notice any difference, unless zoomed in.

My main interest in these units is the depth capability, zoom, and price.  They are by far the best price units available, they go deep, and they have some zoom, which I can't really figure out how it works from the owners manual I downloaded from Humminbird.  Anyone got any insight to that?

Iowa Agronomist, $229?  If it's new in the box from the store, yeah, I would jump on that in a heartbeat.  Used from someone, I might try to go lower.  That's 70 bucks less than MSRP, but if it's used, buyer beware, as always.  That's almost a hundred bucks less than a vex fl-8 at the store.

Offline njsimonson

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Panfish are the new walleyes
« Reply #14 on: Oct 31, 2009, 07:09 PM »
I own and use ice 55 awsome unit zoom any part of water colum digital display very pleased and dont forget the big screen i bought mine last year online and they shipped two by mistake kept one sold the other for 400 bucks and bought a brand new flip over shanty talk about sweet

More like "talk about a criminal violation" - theft of property.  If the unit was worth over $500 retail, it's probably a felony depending on the value threshold.  Most states have laws against keeping/selling mislaid property (property that you know you shouldn't have received but claim ownership of).
Born to fish, forced to go to work and think about fishing and talk about fishing with coworkers.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #15 on: Oct 31, 2009, 07:10 PM »
Yours is the first I've seen that had issues with target seperation, I'm not at all impressed with the FL-8 seperation, I doubt I would notice any difference, unless zoomed in.

My main interest in these units is the depth capability, zoom, and price.  They are by far the best price units available, they go deep, and they have some zoom, which I can't really figure out how it works from the owners manual I downloaded from Humminbird.  Anyone got any insight to that?

Iowa Agronomist, $229?  If it's new in the box from the store, yeah, I would jump on that in a heartbeat.  Used from someone, I might try to go lower.

It's new in the box from a website. I got a VPG off this website for $89 a while ago, & I did the upgrades and have been very happy with the unit. I really like my VPG, but wouldn't mind getting one other flasher for when a friend goes along with me.

Offline S.M.05

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 6 days of work, 1 day of trout.
« Reply #16 on: Oct 31, 2009, 07:17 PM »
 I'm very much a tried and true guy. Used a vex 18 couple seasons ago and was amazed by how well it worked. Watching lakers laying on bottom inching up to my small bait. I'm sold on getting a vex but then the new humminbird unit shows up on the market ??? buy the old vex or get with the new and pick up a Hbird 45.
 Well I didn't listen to that voice in the back of my head saying don't do it, first year model.
 I spend all my hard earned bucks on the ice45. ::)
After reading all the post on here I'm able to get the transducer to aim better but still cant get anywhere near the separation I had with the vex. :-\
Then 2nd weekend out the display goes all crazy lines all over the place.  Some times even completely covering the screen, cant even get rid of it by turning the sensitivity down.
 Bring it back and fight with the store for a replacement unit.
Get the replacement unit travel 1200km to fishing derby.
Working all though bottom detail sucks then day 2 dies again.
Bring it back to store and I'm told that Humminbird such a good company they don't do exchanges gotta send it back to manufacturer.
 I'm so pissed I have not sent it back in yet, but will soon and when I get it back its off to eBay.
Might just be the first run. ::)
 Well bought a new Humminbird 343c portable with built in flasher and the ice ducer for it. So far its been amazing on the soft water and expect it to do well on the hard water.
If you cant ride it, drink it or bring home it to bed, it aint worth having!

Offline TIBS

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tipup!!!!!
« Reply #17 on: Oct 31, 2009, 07:31 PM »
Higher end units with problems.....  Doesn't really surprise me much considering 1st year of production.  Still, the ice 35 looks like a winner, doesn't have all the crazy gizmos to go wrong, and has exactly what I'm looking for.  Deep water capability with zoom.  That's all I really want, but don't want to spend 500 bucks to get it.  

Yeah, I'm cheap on this one, quite frankly I don't use a flasher all that often, when I fish local, I almost never jig, I usually run tip-ups.  But if I get into the truck and head 30 miles north to trout water, then I jig, and want that deep water capability.

I don't buy the "get what you pay for" argument for this instance, it's a new product, needs kinks to be worked out, comes from a reputable manufacturer, and they're willing to back it up with a 2 year warranty.  Even if the "new" bugs bit me, I don't think I'd miss it all that much if gone for warranty work, considering not using it all that much.  As long as Humminbird didn't jerk people around, which I haven't heard of yet considering any problems with their products.

Anyone else want to chime in about their experiences, specifically with the ice-35?

Offline Ponz mn

• IceShanty Rookie
  • O.C.F.D ~ overly compulsive fishing disorder
« Reply #18 on: Oct 31, 2009, 07:44 PM »
I used a 35 all of last year, and being the first flasher i've owned can't say much about it. Through the ice season there were no problems. The only time i've had issues was jigging for lake trout in 120' of water during the open water season, past 45' i couldn't get the jig to show up. Also, after hitting a big wave one of the pegs that connects the transducer to the unit got bent slightly, the whole screen just went green. The warranty covered this though, and the unit is currently being shipped to Alabama.
Even with this i have to say that the unit performed very well and would recommend it.

Offline limitingout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Oct 31, 2009, 07:50 PM »
Hey njsimonson 455.00 to my door for the bird and besides that its not my fault that some pot head shipped two and it hasent been the first time its happened either.hahahahah!

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #20 on: Oct 31, 2009, 08:04 PM »
That is dishonest, there is no excuse for that.

Offline limitingout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Oct 31, 2009, 08:20 PM »
ok ill send it back  whopps i sold it hahaha

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #22 on: Oct 31, 2009, 08:25 PM »
maybe you're the 1,000,....,... customer and you get a free .....
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #23 on: Oct 31, 2009, 08:29 PM »
More like "talk about a criminal violation" - theft of property.  If the unit was worth over $500 retail, it's probably a felony depending on the value threshold.  Most states have laws against keeping/selling mislaid property (property that you know you shouldn't have received but claim ownership of).

Actually there is nothing they can do. As a current law enforcement student, I know for a fact that if something is given to you either on purpose or by mistake, its yours to keep with no penalties attached.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #24 on: Oct 31, 2009, 08:31 PM »

It's new in the box from a website. I got a VPG off this website for $89 a while ago, & I did the upgrades and have been very happy with the unit. I really like my VPG, but wouldn't mind getting one other flasher for when a friend goes along with me.

You got a showdown for $89??? If I would have known about that I would have bought one for sure. I've been looking for a cheap ice unit, cant afford a vex or a hummingbird with a college student budget.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline pot-belly-perch

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #25 on: Oct 31, 2009, 08:45 PM »
Alright, Humminbird has been in the game for a year now, and some of you guys bought these units last year.  I would like to hear from you your experiences with the units, whether you bought a 35, 45, or 55.

I did a search on these things, and there isn't much about them after the start of the season last year.  There's a bunch of second and third hand comments about them.....

"I heard from a guy who knows a guy who bought one who wasn't happy with it....."<---- There is a lot of this useless info on here, what I'm looking for is people who actually own them and used them extensively last year.

I currently own an FL-8, but am frustrated with not having zooming capabilities, and the 120' depth is not deep enough, I have a fair size trout lake near here I would like to spend more time on, but the water gets to 140'-150' deep in a hurry in most places.  Having only 120' of viewing really limits me on where I can go on this particular body of water.  

I will not buy an FL-18 or Marcum, I want to get away from the snow collectors, and I may have a unique opportunity to pick up a Humminbird on the cheap, as long as I have some confidence in these things.  If I don't like the results of this thread, then I'll just stick with my FL-8

Specifically what I would like to know is:
1. How well do these units pick up jigs in shallow and deep water?  (deep being 50' or more)
2. How's the battery life?
3. If you have had any problems, what specifically was it?  "It doesn't work like a Vexilar or Marcum" isn't very specific, what exactly didn't you like?

hi tibbs  did you see my post  on fl8   how to make it work  for you & what it is trying to tell you !!!!!  somebody help him   Ok  so now after hopefully reading my post of last year I think  you will see you dont need anything else  I dont
smile it makes others wonder what your up to

Ye Old Big Hammer   you use the rite tool for the rite job   when in dout ye old big hammer

Offline jaklakmak

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I LIVE OUTDOORS!
« Reply #26 on: Oct 31, 2009, 11:01 PM »
I fished all winter with the 55 and was very pleased with the performance of this unit. Never had any issues with it and it caught me more fish than I had ever in the past with my Vex Fl-20. I fish in 60-200ft of water and had no troubles whatsoever picking up my jig or seeing detail on the bottom. This is a great unit and Humminbird I'm sure will tweek things on them to make them tough to beat.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #27 on: Nov 01, 2009, 01:03 AM »
You got a showdown for $89??? If I would have known about that I would have bought one for sure. I've been looking for a cheap ice unit, cant afford a vex or a hummingbird with a college student budget.

Yep, it was The VPG unit. Was cheap because they were just releaseing the ShowDown. I got it for $89, then sent it in for the 1st upgrade which cost me $12 to make it the showDown. Just sent it in for the latest update which cost me $50, and they even put a new ShowDown face plate on to replace the VPG one. So I got about $150 into the unit. Ended up I liked it and had it work so well, that I can't talk myself into getting a flasher. Maybe a really good deal will come up that I can't pass up. Kind of looking for a unit for when the buddy goes along.

Offline limitingout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Nov 01, 2009, 05:41 AM »
Yeah bbk thats what ithought about receiving something deleivered to your home by mistake or intentionally.I try and order all my stuff from those morones now.Its in minnesota no sales tax and free stuff .

Offline TIBS

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tipup!!!!!
« Reply #29 on: Nov 01, 2009, 09:11 AM »
hi tibbs  did you see my post  on fl8   how to make it work  for you & what it is trying to tell you !!!!!  somebody help him   Ok  so now after hopefully reading my post of last year I think  you will see you dont need anything else  I dont

Uh, if the FL-8 only goes 120 ft deep, that's game over for me, time to move on.  I didn't see any post about someone misinterpreting an fl-8 or anything like that.

Just because you don't need anything else doesn't mean I don't.  The fl-8 will be gone in due time.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.