Author Topic: Boots  (Read 9104 times)

Offline 52niner

• Team IceShanty Regular
Boots
« on: Feb 23, 2009, 08:07 AM »
Just looking for some opinions on boots for Ice fishing. Willing to pay whatever I'm sick of my toes getting cold. Thanks
"Beer is living proof that there is a God and he wants us to be happy." Ben Franklin

Offline damanfrgr

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Well I guess!!!LETS DO THIS
Re: Boots
« Reply #1 on: Feb 23, 2009, 08:27 AM »
I use rangers fr whitecreek lumber bout 50.00 and have used them for 3 yrs nice and toastywterproof bout 5inch fr knee kinda bulky but light and warm! Good bang for the buck in my opion.?
FISH:)mmm good

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #2 on: Feb 23, 2009, 08:40 AM »
I bought some baffen boots this year because I was sick of cold toes and having to use toe warmers and all the hassel taking my boots off and on rubbing my cold feet even in my shanty. I bought the impact boots rated to -148 and now I can't get my feet cold if I want to. I have used them all season and didn't get cold feet once. I think that sometimes my feet are too hot but at least they don't hurt. Buy them one size bigger than normal and the liner will conform to you feet and don't wear too thick of socks. I bought mine through winterfootwear.com for about 153 dollars to my door. If you are sick of cold feet don't settle for anything else.
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline Superpole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 23, 2009, 08:45 AM »
Felt lined pack boots are best.  I have a really light pair of Sorrells that I got for about $50 from sportsman's guide.  Stay far away from anything made by Rocky.  I won't even go back to a store that sells Rockys.

Offline damanfrgr

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Well I guess!!!LETS DO THIS
« Reply #4 on: Feb 23, 2009, 08:48 AM »
Felt lined pack boots are best.  I have a really light pair of Sorrells that I got for about $50 from sportsman's guide.  Stay far away from anything made by Rocky.  I won't even go back to a store that sells Rockys.
thats what these are too they are linned linner comes out easy maintence for cleaning ..good boot
FISH:)mmm good

Offline gunner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 23, 2009, 09:01 AM »
What ever boot you end up with----don't get them too tight and then cram a pair of wool socks in on top of it.  You will freeze the toes for sure.  I have some play in my boot so the toes can keep moving.  Just my 2 cents. Good luck  Gunner

Offline jeffd7766

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 23, 2009, 09:07 AM »
cabelas predator extreme pac boots.....i use a power auger and drill about 50 holes a day trying to move with the fish, and each time i pull the auger out water goes all over the boots and i have yet to have cold/wet feet, if i did that with my old sorels i would be in for a world of wet and cold feet. they are my vote hands down

Offline Catchthis44

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 23, 2009, 09:08 AM »
mickey mouse boots from your local Army Navy store about 75-100 bucks and never get cold or wet

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Fanatic! >))))>
« Reply #8 on: Feb 23, 2009, 09:12 AM »

I've been using LaCrosse Ice Kings for about 12 years .. no problems. They're so warm all I use are cotton tube socks. They are a bit heavy at about 5 lbs but my feet have never been wet or cold. I think they cost about $100.00.

Those who are brave are free ..

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #9 on: Feb 23, 2009, 09:24 AM »
look in cabelas and see witch boots best suit you personally i like rocky boots stalker 1400 grams of thinslute and with gore tex gotta have goretex my brother has cabelas inferno boots with the dry plus membrane and he loves them and he gets cold easy i guess it depends on how much you want to spend

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 23, 2009, 09:32 AM »
LaCrosse ice kings,and Real Mickey mouse boots both are heavy but warm and dry.

Offline maddarx

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 23, 2009, 09:52 AM »
I agree with jeff,  the predator extreme pac boots at cabela's are excellent.  My feet always used to get cold.  Since I got these my toes haven't gotten cold once!  Kind of bulky but are deffinately worth it for warm feet.

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #12 on: Feb 23, 2009, 10:19 AM »
Go with at least 1,000 grams of thinsulate. Also get at least one size bigger than you usually get. If they fit tight your feet freeze.

:tipup:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline dachmation

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #13 on: Feb 23, 2009, 10:56 AM »
I had heard a lot of bad reports about the newer boots that are made in china not being as good as the older ones.  Well I tried a new pair of Lacrosse IceKings this year and Im very happy so far, dont know if they will hold up like my last Icemans (20yrs) but my toes havent been cold yet and Its been a real cold winter here in Michigan. Old ones finally cracked across the toe.

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 23, 2009, 11:08 AM »
I had heard a lot of bad reports about the newer boots that are made in china not being as good as the older ones.  Well I tried a new pair of Lacrosse IceKings this year and Im very happy so far, dont know if they will hold up like my last Icemans (20yrs) but my toes havent been cold yet and Its been a real cold winter here in Michigan. Old ones finally cracked across the toe.

I have had a pair of the Ice Kings for many years now. I have replaced the pacs a few times. I love mine. My feet never get cold. I do not often wear thick socks.

One difference between the Ice King and the Iceman is that the Ice King has a .375" (9.525mm) thick pac versus the Iceman's 9mm (.354"). I think the Ice King also has more insulation in the sole.

Offline dachmation

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #15 on: Feb 23, 2009, 11:11 AM »
Well my Icekings have a thinsulate typ of liner in em and my old Icemans were felt, so Im curious to see how they hold up and work.  Real good so far Tho

Offline 800aberdean

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Feb 23, 2009, 11:41 AM »
i got my girlfriend a pair of Sorel Glacier's and i nolonger have to look for someone to take out with me.  she used to always get cold feet but these things were the ticket.  i had to get her snowshoes because she always wanted to be outside.  i'm pretty sure they make a mens equivilent to them and although they are a little heavy, they seem to be well built

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #17 on: Feb 23, 2009, 12:31 PM »
After using my Baffens this season I can't believe more fisherman don't use them. Perhaps they have never seen them or tried on a pair? I could not find any within 50 or so miles,but when I did,  they were the snowmobile type, not as flexible at the ankles. I love my Impact baffens and would strongly recommend anyone wanting a better boot to check them out.
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline snot rocket

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Feb 23, 2009, 12:44 PM »
I've been wearing my white mickey bots for 4 years now, feet have never been cold since...in fact I had one leg break through the ice in a marsh area of shore. in up to hip, daughter helped pull me out, emptied the water out of the boot, put it back on with wet sock and all, foot warmed right up and stayed warm all day. they are however a bit heavy and cubersome, but you get used to that.10,000 guys on here and probably get 9,999 opinions, none are wrong, shop/ask around and find out what best suits your needs.

Snot Rocket
I’VE BEEN TO BOTH POLES…HAVE YOU?

Offline Mr.Buddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I swear there was a fish on!
« Reply #19 on: Feb 23, 2009, 01:08 PM »
well, you all are gonna think im nuts, but when i go out I wear my un-insulated redwing steel-toe boots. My feet are always warm and dry.  Well except when i step in a hole and go up to my crotch, nothing is dry than.  Biggest thing is get a set of boots that fit good, a ill fitting boot is uncomfortable and doesnt stay warm as well as a good fitting one
Two fishes swimming side along and one looks at the other and tells him "I had a near death experiance today, I was swimming along and next thing I knew I was getting pulled down a tunnel with a bright light at the end, i got to the light, looked around and my friends and family were there.  And I saw jesus! And he wears a budweiser hat and he said, it is not your time, go back and I will come for you when you are bigger"

Offline sperrin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 23, 2009, 01:52 PM »
Insulated Rubber boots! I wear mine all year.....the biggest thing is keeping your feet dry.

Offline jiml

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Feb 23, 2009, 02:46 PM »
I switched to the neoprine style boots this season and could not be happier.  I got a pair for my wife as well......Boggs is the name brand and they are great!  I got them 2 sized too big and wear 2 pair of wool socks with them and my feet have never been warmer!
"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves."
Ronald Reagan

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 23, 2009, 03:23 PM »
I switched to the neoprine style boots this season and could not be happier.  I got a pair for my wife as well......Boggs is the name brand and they are great!  I got them 2 sized too big and wear 2 pair of wool socks with them and my feet have never been warmer!

Sounds like you are improvising your own pack boots. Waterproof outer plus wool liner. The nice thing abot th Ice Kings is that you do not need a thick sock. Regular sock and slip them on.

Offline jiml

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Feb 23, 2009, 04:54 PM »
What I liked about the neoprine vs my old packs is that they are waterproof right up to my knee.
"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves."
Ronald Reagan

Offline Polish Chippewa

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Feb 23, 2009, 06:17 PM »
i used mickey boots for years......probably one of the warmest boots ever made.....the few downsides are they are a little heavy and very bulky.....if you have your gear on and are driving to your fishing destination its not uncommon to hit the brake and the gas pedal at the same time when u have these massive rubber boots on.....i recently bought a pair of ice armor boots... rated up to negative 80 degrees.... its like having your feet on a george foreman grill all day long.....$150.00 very well spent in my opinion......

Offline gasman707

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Cold is a state of mind!!
« Reply #25 on: Feb 23, 2009, 06:52 PM »

Irish Setter 860 12-inch Elk Tracker Scent Ban with 1000 Gram Thinsulate

Comfort Cork EVA with Memory Foam
ScentBan Odor Inhibitor Footbed
Steel Shank
Cork PU Midsole
BullsEye Air Bob Aggressive Sole
Premium Leather Welt Construction
Gortex Waterproofing System
Thinsulate Ultra Insulation
The Elk Tracker is a precise hunting boot that will keep you warm, dry and comfortable into the late season. It's Thinsulate insulation sets the standard in lightweight insulation providing breathability and warmth. The Scent Ban is also a great feature that comes with this quality hunting boot.

I wear these boots 6-7 days a week working (driving truck and standing in snow banks filling gas tanks 8-10 hrs a day) and playing (fishing and snowmobiling) during the winter. These are the only boots I've ever found that my feet will only get slightly chilled never cold except mickey mouse boots. I've even spent 10 hrs on a lake that had 4 inches of water on top of the 16" ice unless you piled snow up and packed it down and not gotten cold feet

Offline Polish Chippewa

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Feb 23, 2009, 06:55 PM »
Gasman your not a irish setter representative are you?

Offline snot rocket

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Feb 23, 2009, 07:15 PM »
i used mickey boots for years......probably one of the warmest boots ever made.....the few downsides are they are a little heavy and very bulky.....if you have your gear on and are driving to your fishing destination its not uncommon to hit the brake and the gas pedal at the same time when u have these massive rubber boots on.....i recently bought a pair of ice armor boots... rated up to negative 80 degrees.... its like having your feet on a george foreman grill all day long.....$150.00 very well spent in my opinion......

LOL !!! i've done that e my mickeys before, don't drive w them on anymore.

Snot Rocket
I’VE BEEN TO BOTH POLES…HAVE YOU?

Offline gasman707

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Cold is a state of mind!!
« Reply #28 on: Feb 23, 2009, 09:36 PM »
Gasman your not a Irish setter representative are you?
No, sir I Pilot an Al-quida Ground Assault Missile (propane truck) And these boots are the best I have found (so far always open to new options ). Try finding boots that you can wear all day either driving or standing in a snow bank that will due the job in all temps. Pac boots don't work they are too wide for driving all day long.

Trooper Bri

« Reply #29 on: Feb 23, 2009, 10:23 PM »
I've been using a pair of Red Ball Boundary boots for 5 or 6 years now. Given to me by a friend since they were too big for him. Rubber bottoms and leather uppers with the removable inserts. No idea what model since they're maybe 8 or 10 years old. So i've simply nicknamed them RoboBoots.

Because they are dedicated to ice fishing only, they've been studded thoroughly with 3/8" stainless hex head slotted screws. I've trudged through 6" of water on the ice and stayed dry and warm all day. If they ever go south, i'll cry like a baby until i find a suitable replacement.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.