Author Topic: Showdown Won't Charge  (Read 913 times)

Offline muskiewrangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Born to fish
Showdown Won't Charge
« on: Dec 26, 2015, 12:32 AM »
So I'm prepping for ice season and occasionally charging my Showdown over the course of the year but lately for some reason the charger keeps reading GREEN for charged when I try to charge it even though the battery is always low. I switched the charger port & battery but not only that, I also used my fish cam charger on it since they are practically the same and yet to get a different outcome... does anyone know the problem???
Be who you are and don't listen to others that say you shouldn't. That's how life should be lived as.

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Showdown Won't Charge
« Reply #1 on: Dec 26, 2015, 01:17 AM »
Check your fuses and make sure you haven't blow one. Then check the battery and make sure it's good and has water.
In the memory of "Team Lighting" Fish ON!
No one ever says,"Man that fish tastes small.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline muskiewrangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Born to fish
« Reply #2 on: Dec 26, 2015, 02:48 AM »
Check your fuses and make sure you haven't blow one. Then check the battery and make sure it's good and has water.

Where would I find the water?
Be who you are and don't listen to others that say you shouldn't. That's how life should be lived as.

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 26, 2015, 06:19 AM »
Top the battery should have holes (capped) unless it's a gel type. Use distilled water.
In the memory of "Team Lighting" Fish ON!
No one ever says,"Man that fish tastes small.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Dec 26, 2015, 06:30 AM »
Do you have a volt meter? I never charge mine with it connected to the Showdown.
<===Lefty===

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #5 on: Dec 26, 2015, 06:48 AM »
Same for me but a charge overnight never let me down.
Just add water.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #6 on: Dec 26, 2015, 10:54 AM »
start with a volt meter and read the chargers out put. then use it continuity and test the fuse or replace it or temporarily jumper it. measure the battery before the charger to see if it has a shelf voltage of 12.5 volts or not. if not probably needs to be replaced. they last 3 to 5 years depending on care and charger and usage.
the fuse has blown out in my buddies and he upped it one amp.
you say two charges and same result, so it should be a old battery or blown fuse.

i use the battery tender jr (23$) for my small batteries only. had a wire fire with one of those junk stock chargers. they want way too much for a replacement charger too (35$).

a new battery on amazon should only be 18$

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 26, 2015, 10:58 AM »
Where would I find the water?
                         Like has been stated, distilled, or water from a dehumidifier, almost same stuff, have put it in my batteries for years with no problems!

Offline Warren_G

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 26, 2015, 11:14 PM »
A battery that size will more than likely be a sealed unit that you wont be able to add water to. It is a lead acid battery, so you could test it by charging it up and seeing if it will hold a charge to just over 12 volts without using it. If it discharges on its own, meaning that if it is unhooked and reads 12 volts one day and then 11 and a half the next day, then you will need to replace it.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Dec 27, 2015, 06:52 PM »
Its a sealed lead acid battery or gel cell... You cannot add water.

If your battery is dying by sitting then its time for a new battery. I have 5 in the basement from
Last year, hit them all with the battery tender jr the other day, most took less than 2 minutes to top off ad one took 5-10 minutes.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 29, 2015, 09:08 AM »
It's the fuse. I know this from sad experience about six years ago, which is how long I've been using showdowns. The tipoff is that the light is always green when it should be red while charging. Replace the fuse, then plug the showdown into the charger before plugging the charger into the wall. Plugging the charger into the wall first results in a blown fuse more often than not. As was mentioned above, you should consider increasing the fuse from 2 amp to 3 amp.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.