Author Topic: What is your favorite way to cook crappie?  (Read 5151 times)

kim63ny

What is your favorite way to cook crappie?
« on: Jan 15, 2005, 04:39 PM »
We have a batch of crappie all filleted and wonder what ways to try it. Any suggestions? Thanks, Kim

camo_fish

Re: What is your favorite way to cook crappie?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 15, 2005, 04:43 PM »
I always fry mine.  ;D little egg, little breadcrumbs, sometimes a little Cajun spices.  ;D
MMMMMM, good.

Offline the Wizard

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 15, 2005, 04:57 PM »
I always fry mine.  ;D little egg, little breadcrumbs, sometimes a little Cajun spices.  ;D
MMMMMM, good.
That's the way for me also, italian bread crumbs,garlic powder and pepper.Or
just fry them in butter w/garlic salt and pepper, no coating.
     NOW I"M GETTING HUNGRY< YOU HAD TO GO THERE>!!!
                            COME ON ICE!! :D :clap: :thumbsup:
If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so. – Thomas Jefferson

Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry. – Thomas Jefferson

camo_fish

« Reply #3 on: Jan 15, 2005, 05:04 PM »
MMMMMM, good.
That's the way for me also, italian bread crumbs,garlic powder and pepper.Or
just fry them in butter w/garlic salt and pepper, no coating.
     NOW I"M GETTING HUNGRY< YOU HAD TO GO THERE>!!!
                            COME ON ICE!! :D :clap: :thumbsup:
I hear ya, think when I get home I'll thaw some out for tomarrow night.  ;D

Offline FishnFiend

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Just a Fiend for Fishn'
« Reply #4 on: Jan 15, 2005, 05:07 PM »
I'm a big fan of cooking from scratch, but you can't beat Fish Crisp on crappies!
Used to find it at WalMart, but I haven't seen it since they reduced the fishing sku's a year or so ago.
They make the stuff in Pt. Bolster,ON (Lake Simcoe). I'll have to pick up enough for the season next time I'm up there.
Nothing beats crappie on the table, not perch, not walleye, nothing!! :tipup: :tipup:

Offline ajwiez2

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Bullgills
« Reply #5 on: Jan 15, 2005, 08:21 PM »
put some flour 1 cup, cornmeal 1 cup, sugar 1/4 cup in a gallon size plastic bag add filets and shake to coat put them in frying pan with butter and olive oil fry til golden brown put on paper towels to drain salt to taste as soon as they are out of pan . eat as fast as you can so you get your share before anybody else can get to them other wise that is what they will do to you ....   enjoy    aj
grab the gaff

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 16, 2005, 12:25 AM »
1.)  Start with SKINLESS fillets.
2.)  Lay all fillets on a clean towel and dry them.
3.)  On each side put: Salt, Fresh ground pepper, and Garlic Powder (to taste).
4.)  In a skillet, heat 50/50 Canola Oil/Butter.
5.)  Dip fillets in Beaten Eggs
6.)  Dip fillets in Flour (both sides)
7.)  Fry in hot oil/butter mixture until golden brown (about 1 minute each side).

8.)  Do not allow your fingers to come between cooked fillets and your family's mouth/teeth, or suffer multiple bites!!!

DEERMEAT

« Reply #7 on: Jan 19, 2005, 07:14 AM »
WE HAVE SEVERAL FISH FRIES AT WORK FOR LUNCH DURING THE YEAR. I NOT ONLY SUPPLY ALL THE FISH BUT COOK IT ALL MYSELF ALSO. I USE A BURNER FROM A TURKEY FRYER. I THEN BOUGHT A FISH FRY POT WITH A BASKET STRAINER. HEAT THE OIL TO 350 DEGREES. I USE THE FISH FRY SEASONINGS FROM GOLDEN CRISP. I JUST SOAK THE FILLETS IN WATER, PLACE ABOUT 10 IN THE BOWL WITH THE SEASONINGS & SHAKE TO COAT. THEN FRY THEM FOR ABOUT 4 TO 5 MINUTES. I USUALLY COOK ABOUT 160 FILLETS WHEN I DO THIS. I NEVER COOK TOO MANY YET. I'M ONLY FEEDING 6 TO 8 PEOPLE. NEVER HAD A COMPLAINT YET!

Offline ol crawdad

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FISH HUNT LIVE
« Reply #8 on: Jan 19, 2005, 09:00 AM »
BEER BATTER - Whip one egg, add a half bottle of Beer, add flour to thicken, and salt and pepper to taste.  (Should be more or less the consistency of pancake batter.)  Cook in Vegetable or peanut oil at 350 degrees til they start to brown.  We use this recipe for fish, shrimp, onion rings, mushrooms, zucchini, summer squash, etc., etc., etc.  My cooker and I are very popular at bbq's!!!  You can also experiment by adding lemon, cajun spices, etc.

Offline OUTFISHERMAN

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 19, 2005, 09:41 AM »
Beer battered is the way to go. I batter myself with beer, and then I cook them.

kim63ny

« Reply #10 on: Jan 19, 2005, 12:53 PM »
Thanks to all for the cooking tips and the bits of comedy thrown in! Will give these recipes a try! I had tried a packet of Italian seasoned crumbs from the grocery store, but it was way over powering and could not taste the fish at all! The season is young yet and I expect lots more fish to go in the freezer before spring-so lotsa time to experiment! Kim

Offline Jimmy The Jigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 21, 2005, 08:40 AM »
I love a good beer batter also,but another really simple way to cook them is to just lightly coat filets in flour,seasoned with salt/pepper,and fry in oil.They come out golden brown,and they dont have a thick coating on them(Verry tasty) ;D

Offline fiddlehead322

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Night time is the right time!
« Reply #12 on: Feb 12, 2006, 06:52 AM »
Here's a recipe I put together a few weeks ago.Mix 2 beaten eggs  with 1 packet of dry good seasons ital. dressing. Add garlic powder, salt/ pepper to taste. Add as much cayenne pepper you can stand. Dip dry fillets in mixture,then roll in instant potato flakes,fry in oil @ 350 degrees untill golden brown. About 2 mins. Enjoy,and let me know what you think. FH aka Rich.                                                                                   
Looking forward to some "crappie" nights!

Offline qflies001

• IceShanty Rookie
  • fish on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #13 on: Feb 15, 2006, 09:50 PM »
Ok this is it: beat 2 eggs , mix in some parm or ramono cheese in it beat it.
                                    salt and pepper fish ,put lemon juice on them let them set 10 min or so
                                    dip in egg batter and then It. bread crumbs fry in butter  YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY YYYYYYYYYYYYUUUUUUUUUU UUUUUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMIII IIIIIIIIIIIIIIII ;D ;D

Offline PERCH_INC.

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • THROW THE LITTLE ONES BACK
« Reply #14 on: Feb 19, 2006, 10:17 AM »
I use beer batter but try them  your next stir fry with lots of veg's. Soak them in your favorite dressing first!!
MONSTER PERCH RULE ! !  

Offline qflies001

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 20, 2006, 12:31 PM »
Yummmmmi beer batter and home aid tater sauce mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm i'm going to cook up some croakers now :-X ::)

Offline Hood

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Feb 20, 2006, 12:38 PM »
If you are frying fish using an egg bread crumb type coating the proper way to do it is roll the filets in flour FIRST.  Very important.  DO NOT use the flour after dipping in egg.  Flour first then dip the floured filets in egg and then you roll them in bread crumbs or corn flakes if you prefer.  If you do this you will see a huge difference in the texture and crispiness of your filets. 

what slip said...that flour is key before goin in the egg...gives the egg somethin better to stick to and then to the crumbs stickin to the egg....ever get fried fish where the coating seemed to peel or slide right off? no flour dip...its a rookie mistake that I was guilty of til I saw the light...ok it was shown to me. ;D

Offline qflies001

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Feb 20, 2006, 12:40 PM »
what slip said...that flour is key before goin in the egg...gives the egg somethin better to stick to and then to the crumbs stickin to the egg....ever get fried fish where the coating seemed to peel or slide right off? no flour dip...
yuuuuuuuuuuuuuummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii slip you fry and ill eat what a deal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline blake_b

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 29, 2007, 11:47 PM »
my crappie recipie is simple,

two packs of saltines
1/2 cup of cornmeal
lemon pepper
2 beat eggs
 Heat oil ahead of time to 350 degrees, put saltine crackers and corn meal in blender (usually helps to crush em up a lil bit ahead of time) add lemon pepper to taste i like to use quite a bit (1/8 cup) blend to fine powder. Put in a gallon zip bag. Rub the fish in the egg to help the sticking process, drop fillets in bag shake around and press the powder "into" the fish. drop in the deep fryer and cook till they are golden brown. blake :tipup:

Offline Pail Rider

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Feb 06, 2007, 09:51 AM »
I soak the fillets in buttermilk for a couple hours, then dredge them in flour mixed with 'assorted' spices and let them sit for 15 minutes.  Then I dredge in egg and coat with bread crumbs.  Fry in olive oil till golden brown...doesn't get any better.

A friend from the south let me in on the buttermilk thing, and I'm now a believer.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.