Author Topic: Apple Pie - Beverage  (Read 42218 times)

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Apple Pie - Beverage
« on: Nov 05, 2010, 09:32 PM »
My cousin always likes to bring a taste of this out on the ice with him, the stuff is delicious but dangerous, so smooth for as much alcohol is in it.  Anyways I thought I'd share a recipe for it.

1 gallon of Amish Apple Cider (good and cloudy)
1 gallon of fresh apple juice
3 Cups of sugar
3-5 cinnamon sticks
1 teaspoon of Nutmeg
1-2 qts of white liquor

Combine all the ingredients besides alcohol in a large pot. Bring to a boil, simmer for 3 minutes. Remove form heat and let cool completely (this takes several hours) speed the cooling up if you have room in the fridge.

Once cool, stir well and add your white liquor. Makes about 10 quarts.

You can use moonshine, vodka or everclear in the mix.  I've heard of people jarring it with a fresh cinnamon stick as well.

Do not add the alcohol before it's sufficiently cooled or it will evaporate, alcohol evaporates slightly above 172 degrees fahrenheit and and 78 degrees celcius.

Offline Tainterslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Apple Pie - Beverage
« Reply #1 on: Nov 08, 2010, 04:24 PM »
Apple pie sure is great.. But I have never understood why its half apple cider and half juice. Is it actually for taste or just to save money?

Offline ice 45

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 08, 2010, 05:12 PM »
That stuff is great we made it with everclear and yes it can catch up to you fast! :)

"The temptation to quit will be greatest just before you are about to succeed."

Offline Doubles Shooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 09, 2010, 07:57 AM »
My cousin always likes to bring a taste of this out on the ice with him, the stuff is delicious but dangerous, so smooth for as much alcohol is in it.  Anyways I thought I'd share a recipe for it.

3 Cups of sugar
3-5 cinnamon
1 teaspoon of Nutmeg
2 qts of white liquor

Combine all the ingredients in a large pot. Bring to a boil, simmer for 3 minutes. Remove form heat and let cool completely (this takes several hours) speed the cooling up if you have room in the fridge.

You can use moonshine, vodka or everclear in the mix.  I've heard of people jarring it with a fresh cinnamon stick as well.

Thank you very much. You just gave me a great idea for stocking stuffers for Christmas.

Offline gaudetskie

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's called Leinenkugels and it means Great Beer!
« Reply #4 on: Nov 09, 2010, 08:06 PM »
Apple pie!! Smooth as silk! But much like my old man, liable to sneak up behind you and hit you on the back of the head!
Nick.

If your going to play Russian Roulette, use a gun with a clip and don't go first!

Offline beerbellybob106

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 16, 2010, 11:19 AM »
Thank you very much. You just gave me a great idea for stocking stuffers for Christmas.
your going to have to go out of state to get the everclear its not sold in new york

Offline lhprop1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 16, 2010, 02:17 PM »
My cousin always likes to bring a taste of this out on the ice with him, the stuff is delicious but dangerous, so smooth for as much alcohol is in it.  Anyways I thought I'd share a recipe for it.

3 Cups of sugar
3-5 cinnamon
1 teaspoon of Nutmeg
2 qts of white liquor

Combine all the ingredients in a large pot. Bring to a boil, simmer for 3 minutes. Remove form heat and let cool completely (this takes several hours) speed the cooling up if you have room in the fridge.

You can use moonshine, vodka or everclear in the mix.  I've heard of people jarring it with a fresh cinnamon stick as well.

Obviously 2 quarts of Everclear will give it a hell of a lot more kick than 2 quarts of vodka.  Is 2 quarts of E too much kick for only 2 gallons of juice/cider? 
How would you play today if you knew you couldn\'t play tomorrow?

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 16, 2010, 05:49 PM »
I've had it with moonshine and the 95% everclear and it was strong, too strong to drink much of, but the flavor is still great and still goes down smooth, dangerously smooth.  I don't see anything wrong with just using one bottle.

EDIT:

This is the recipe he gave me, I haven't tried it yet, he says this is how he makes his, which tastes great but kicks my tail end.  I did a little research on other recipes, most people are using 1/5th or one liter of everclear in similar recipes.  I'll have to ask him if his 2 quarts was a typo or just how strong he makes his.. 

Offline IceFishinJoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Alcoholic
« Reply #8 on: Nov 17, 2010, 10:04 PM »
Have had it a few times with the Everclear. Trust me this stuff us dangerous, it has the ability to make you time travel.

Joe

Offline Melbs7

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 18, 2010, 09:52 AM »
Apple pie sure is great.. But I have never understood why its half apple cider and half juice. Is it actually for taste or just to save money?

I think it's for the flavor difference. Apple juice and apple cider have a very different tast for coming from the same fruit and the flavor ends up just perfect using half and half. I do, however, always try to get the pure apple juice.... with little or no other fruit juices added like grape and such. Man.... good stuff!!

Offline icerod

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If your bobbers gone put on another one
« Reply #10 on: Nov 18, 2010, 10:14 AM »
Has anyone tried this with rum?  Is it 3-5 Cinnamon sticks, or is it teaspoons of ground Cinnamon?  I would really like to try rum, but vodka would be ok too. ;D

Offline SINX53

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Nov 18, 2010, 10:25 AM »
this stuff is like liquid candy but this stuff can knock you down. I usually make a batch of this every year for the holidays and give it out to family and friends. The recipe I have calls for vanilla instead of nutmeg. Never used everclear though. Just found another brand of vodka that was cheaper but still potent.

variation for the ladies put some cool whip in a can on top tastes just like apple pie and vanilla ice cream.

Offline corny13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Nov 18, 2010, 10:40 AM »
Another variation of the icecream/apple pie, is to use a shot glass and pour half with applepie, then carefully and slowly pour the top half with chilled bailey's irish cream so  they are seperated.   Becareful though...  Kind of like a "Bottom bouncer" which is the bottom 1/2 butterscotch schnapps  and baileys on top...named after the famouse fishing weight developed in Bismarck,ND

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #13 on: Nov 18, 2010, 10:41 AM »
I will flag this one for a tast test this year, thanx

Offline fishin mt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Nov 18, 2010, 10:56 AM »
this stuff is great.  my friend had a jug of it ice fishing 2 years ago.  only take a few sips at a time or you'll regret it.  his was made with everclear.  i'll have to make a jug of it this winter.

Offline cantwait

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Nov 27, 2010, 08:17 AM »
3-5 what of cinnamon? teaspoons or sticks? Had some of this once and was I'm gonna make some for this season! Thanks

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Nov 27, 2010, 07:08 PM »
Whoops! Cinnamon sticks!

Offline 4x4elk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Nov 29, 2010, 12:19 AM »
This sounds good we are going to try it for new years. Not to say there won't be a test drive between now and then ::)
FIND'EM, CATCH'EM, FILLET'EM, GRILL'EM & EAT'EM

Offline DoubleBurg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Nov 29, 2010, 12:23 AM »
We used to make this in college.  A buddy of mine lived near a apple orchard.  Not a good ..... Actually.... It is a good thing! ;D
Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.  -Henry David Thoreau

Offline SPADED

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Watch my rod while i pee...
« Reply #19 on: Nov 29, 2010, 12:26 AM »
i make the same stuff, but i dont use nutmag.. and i like to boil the cin sticks with the batch then add them to the bottles before filling.. and be sure to let it cool before adding the everclear, or it will evaporate on ya! dont get on the sleds after drinking this stuff tho boys lol

Offline 4x4elk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Nov 29, 2010, 12:55 AM »
Sleds He!! if u drink enough of it sounds like you'll have a rough enough time riding your feet! :o :o

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Nov 29, 2010, 01:08 AM »
All of the homemade schnapps and stuff I've ever made calls for you to add the 190, ever clear or white lightning after you've combined and cooked your recipe. If you were to combine all the ingredients as listed and boil it, the alcohol begins to evaporate. Am I missing something here?

Offline 4x4elk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Nov 29, 2010, 02:03 AM »

I had to read it all a couple of times to find what I was missing but ya I would say you missed something this was the last entry in the original thread..

Like my wife says read ALL THE INSTRUCTIONS BEFORE YOU START! ;) ;)

Offline SPADED

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Watch my rod while i pee...
« Reply #23 on: Nov 29, 2010, 09:17 AM »
yeah guys remember alcohol evaporates before water does so if you boil it with the alcohol in it all that steam coming off is your booze!!!! and the point of boiling it is to melt all the sugar and condense the liquid, i dont feel like looking for my recipe but i know you have to reduce the juices by half or a third. down to like a gal of juice and sugar mix, and then i add only 1 liter of ever clear or 1 mason jar of shine once it has been cooled ;D ;D if you condense it down enough you can put it in the freezer without it freezing

Offline cantwait

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Nov 30, 2010, 06:27 PM »
Made some over the weekend and it turned out great! Thanks for the recipe

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Nov 30, 2010, 08:24 PM »
 ;D
You're welcome.

You guys are correct alcohol evaporates at 172 degrees fahrenheit and 78 degrees celcius, it says to add all of the ingredients at one point, but at the end it says to add the alcohol after it cools.  I edited the original post to include this information.

Offline openingact

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A bad day fishing beats a good day working!
« Reply #26 on: Dec 01, 2010, 10:22 AM »
Great recipe.... same as the one I use typically with the exception that we typically do   1 1/2 c white sugar and 1 1/2 c brown sugar, though the nutmeg is a new thing I'll have to try

Offline jasond37

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flag!
« Reply #27 on: Dec 01, 2010, 08:23 PM »
I've had this stuff with Everclear in it.......eesh.  Tastes so delicious, you'd never know there is that much booze in it.  My brother in law made a huge batch for his house warming party, and greeted everybody with a warm mug. 

Offline Jim_R

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin' Partner
« Reply #28 on: Dec 14, 2010, 11:24 AM »
Tried Apple Pie (with Everclear) for the first time at a NASCAR Race in MI a few years back...got my arse kicked by it ;)

This batch had vanilla in it.  It also had cinnamon sticks and sliced apples in the bottom.

Hardwater...is there any other?

Offline PyroZuki

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Dip-Dip-Jerk
« Reply #29 on: Dec 19, 2010, 07:03 PM »
I like to run mine through a percolator ( over flame style on low ) so it's nice and warm, then pour it into my thermos. Warm Apple Pies mixed with coffee keeps you warm on the ice  8) :tipup:

Pyro
I live in MT, so when I ain't huntin, I'm fishin!
Boy the way Glenn Miller played
Songs that made the hit parade.
Guys like us we had it made,
Those were the days.

And you knew who you were then,
Girls were girls and men were men,
Mister we could use a man
Like Herbert Hoover again.

Didn't need no welfare state,
Everybody pulled his weight.
Gee our old LaSalle ran great.
Those were the days