Author Topic: Spikes  (Read 1070 times)

Offline dunphy11

• Team IceShanty Addict
Spikes
« on: Jan 21, 2020, 12:39 PM »
Hi input needed on best way to buy spikes/maggots around the Lakes Region area? Also best way to handle and preserve them for extended use?
Not working right now and smelt at $12/dz have me needing to change my tactics for perch , mostly whites.  Thanks in advance.
Tight lines! haven't made it out yet do to injury but know I need ice as therepy.

Offline Nitro16

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Spikes
« Reply #1 on: Jan 21, 2020, 12:49 PM »
I ordered a 1000 from Jada bait for like $23 bucks I think. I ordered on a Wednesday or Thursday and had them by Saturday. They don't like oxygen so I just double zip lock bag them in the fridge and squeeze out the air. They will hold all season if kept cold.  I ordered from speedy worm last year but they were more expensive this year.   Berry's bait also has them at $3.50 for a hundred

https://www.ja-dabait.com/index.php/spikes-maggots
Born to fish, forced to work....

Offline BlueSnow

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2020, 09:09 AM »
I've been using Speedy Worm the last few years.  Was a bit too exuberant last year and ordered 5,000 but cut that back to 1,000 for this year.  I keep them in the fridge, try to avoid freezing on the ice and if they start getting a bit too 'humid' add in some additional sawdust/wood shavings.
Blue snow is better than yellow snow

Offline TonyThunder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2020, 05:13 PM »
I get a lot of my bait at AJ’s in the winter, anyways for me it’s easier to just go in and get 3 packs, (100ct per pack) and be good for a while , I don’t go overboard because I don’t exclusively use them. Don’t have to wait or pay shipping, and the gas well I’m in that area all the time anyway

Offline P.Dona

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ><((((º> Bring on the ice!!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 23, 2020, 12:05 PM »
I actually tried growing my own this past summer to piss off an a$$hole neighbor.  Picture this?  Prevailing wind right down to their house about 30 yards away.   6 days in the blazing sun the smell is NASTY 7 days I had to get rid of it because I could smell it at my house and my GF was coming over!   Fish racks work best, and I put them on chicken wire.
 The maggots were smaller, though and I tried using them, but  are not as big as the ones from JA-DA BAIT.  Different fly.   I did have some other larva in there that looked interesting.   
  I did this a second time timing it to go sour over a weekend.     The Monday after, I got a call from the town health inspector.   He came for a visit.  Everything was legal, but he just asked me to remove it, and not do it again  ;D ;D

Offline snow snake

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 23, 2020, 12:13 PM »
Some people just can not take a  joke
NOW that's funny P Dona   
LMAO  ::) ;D :)
HA HA HA
snowsnake

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 23, 2020, 03:40 PM »
Start in on a pile that conspicuously looks like the size and shape of a body and watch the fun begin!

Oh, and start acting "squirrelly" when anyone gets close to it. (for effect)
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 23, 2020, 03:46 PM »
I ordered a 1000 from Jada bait for like $23 bucks I think. I ordered on a Wednesday or Thursday and had them by Saturday. They don't like oxygen so I just double zip lock bag them in the fridge and squeeze out the air. They will hold all season if kept cold.  I ordered from speedy worm last year but they were more expensive this year.   Berry's bait also has them at $3.50 for a hundred

https://www.ja-dabait.com/index.php/spikes-maggots

I used jada for awhile too, but swtiched to speedyworm the past couple years so I can track the shipment and not have my worms freeze, Jada for some reason does not send out shipping notices. Also speedyworm packages really nice with some insulation.

Offline BlueSnow

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 24, 2020, 06:12 AM »
I used jada for awhile too, but swtiched to speedyworm the past couple years so I can track the shipment and not have my worms freeze, Jada for some reason does not send out shipping notices. Also speedyworm packages really nice with some insulation.

Could not second this enough.  They build a mini cooler in a shipping box with insulated board and a warm water bottle to keep the bait from freezing - I'm sure it adds to the shipping cost but it is extremely nice knowing that the bait is going to arrive alive.
Blue snow is better than yellow snow

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #9 on: Jan 24, 2020, 06:25 AM »
Have you tried any of your local bait shops? I get mine for $10 a 1000. Sometimes if you ask for their bulk price they'll give you a little discount.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.