Author Topic: Slammer Tip-Up Kit Review ..  (Read 94087 times)

Offline Pail Rider

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Slammer Tip-Up Kit Review ..
« Reply #30 on: Mar 09, 2007, 09:44 AM »
Funny, after the bang in the house last night, my wife thought that the neighbors would be calling to see if I shot her!!  BTW, I copied your idea of woodburning something into the slammer, I did a crappie and I must say it came out pretty good...I'll post some pics early next week.

Offline hunters08

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • all i can say is WOW
« Reply #31 on: Mar 09, 2007, 07:48 PM »
If you guys havent seen the pictures i have been putting up for the slammer you should check the picture pages.Did i mention I LOVE THE SLAMMER ;D :tipup:   slammerman you are the MAN
If i'm not fish'n then i'd rather be turkey hunt'n [img width=100 height=80]

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Fanatic! >))))>
« Reply #32 on: Mar 10, 2007, 03:50 PM »

I went upstate today and my "mini-slammer" was killing them. I caught 1 lm bass, 4 pickerel and 1 rainbow on the slammer. I caught another bass, rainbow, 2 pickerel and  jumbo perch while jigging.

Those who are brave are free ..

Offline hunters08

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • all i can say is WOW
« Reply #33 on: Mar 14, 2007, 08:49 PM »
I went upstate today and my "mini-slammer" was killing them. I caught 1 lm bass, 4 pickerel and 1 rainbow on the slammer. I caught another bass, rainbow, 2 pickerel and  jumbo perch while jigging.

(Image removed from quote.)

I really like your mini slammer,I'm going to order a kit for the mini. :tipup:

Offline Prairiegoat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 13# Pike
« Reply #34 on: Mar 14, 2007, 09:52 PM »
Good idea LW!!  I am using the 209 primer idea.  Put a small 1/2 barrel in the forward slammer block (like LW's) and a firing pin in the slam board.  Well, tested it out last night...it went BOOM.  A 209 primer sounds much louder when not fired through a muzzleloader, LOL. Blew the firing pin out the back of the slam board and left gun powder residue everywhere...including the kitchen counter...wife is NOT HAPPY with me.  Kids thought it was the coolest thing ever.  Gotta reinforce the firing pin tonight and hopefully make it go boom on the lake tomorrow.

Took me half hour to quit laughing long enough to tell you that was the best post of the year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Prairiegoat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 13# Pike
« Reply #35 on: Mar 14, 2007, 09:55 PM »
I was thinking of using Matt's idea of the primer but decided not to. I thought in the more densely populated area's a primer going off may have people calling the local law enforcement.  :unsure:

Or maybe think you're crazy and you'd have the lake all to yourself. ;) ;)

Offline Pail Rider

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Mar 15, 2007, 07:06 AM »
Took me half hour to quit laughing long enough to tell you that was the best post of the year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All fun and games till I have to scrub a countertop for 1/2 an hour and try to convince the wife I AM a responsible adult  ;D

The slammer worked flawlessly on the ice saturday.  The first time it went off, it scared the crap out of me.  Almost fell off my bucket, LOL.   I was suprised how it released even on gentle perch bites.  I was by myself to work all the kinks out of it, and only stayed an hour or so.  Iced 3 perch with it...I am ready to show it to the ice-fishing buddies.

Here it is all set up...

Here's the crappie I burned into it...
The mar in the finish above the crappies mouth is where the firing pin came out the back side during testing...

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Mar 15, 2007, 10:26 AM »

Nice job on the crappie !  ;D

Offline FullTmeDad

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Back in Michigan!
« Reply #38 on: Mar 17, 2007, 11:07 AM »
I just saw one of these for the first time at Scotty's house.....up to then I didn't think I would be interested in trying one out. They appear to be very well made and I think I'll get one for the next season. If for nothing else....it sounds like they add some excitement to your day!
FTD

Offline George_B

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Always looking for new tip-up variations !!
« Reply #39 on: Mar 17, 2007, 11:30 PM »
I bought one last year, tried it on one outing . The weather was extremely cold, slow day if not dead for all devices, and did not get a chance to see it go off. Looked good and a interesting conversation piece. Stood ready till I quit. Looks like it might be over here in Pennsylvania for the weekend of the 24th. George

Offline Big W

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #40 on: Sep 16, 2007, 02:02 PM »
Fellow Slammer Owners,
      I have two questions.. first, should I bring a few extra rubber bands with me?  Second, I bought the slammer pre-assembled, how short of a rod could I use?

Thanks,   See you on LK Superior
  Big W....
Big W

Offline molsonport

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Sep 24, 2007, 03:42 PM »
slammerman/lonewolf  would like to know the phone # for slamco inc i seem to be having problem with my Email, might be better if i can speak to them on the phone. thanks

Offline Big W

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #42 on: Nov 22, 2007, 01:07 PM »
I purchase a slammer tip-up.  Where are the directions on how to modify it for a short ice fishing rod?  I want to use my 28" avid rod...

Any ideas??
Big W
Big W

Offline ChillerThriller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Nov 22, 2007, 08:36 PM »
I made one of these slammeresque tip ups myself a couple of years ago. i made the coiled rod holder out of a piece of steel that i coiled around a pipe. I read on the slammer website that rod compression breaks rods so when i made mine i pulled the rod forward when i bent it so there would be no compression and it hasnt broke a rod . I just put a eye bolt on the top of the slam board and bent the eye of my cheap 5 foot rod to fit in the eye bolt and it works like a charm. You can bend the rod guide more or less to to make it a harder trigger or a light trigger. Props to the slammco guys for inventing this little marvel. The only thing i find is that i cant find a 5 foot rod with enough backbone to set hooks when the tip up goes off. The first time i tried it i had alot of line out and the hook on it went flying around the room and then promptly imbedded itself in my shoulder blade. it was exciting lol.

Offline vivlamored

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #44 on: Dec 08, 2007, 03:10 PM »
    I'm going to have to try to make one of those they look awsome

Offline johnnyboy8451234

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Dec 15, 2007, 09:16 PM »
I live in NY and I was gonna buy 2 to use in place of my 2 hand lines...  I like my tip ups but figured this would be like fishing another 2 tip ups when I dont feel like jigging ..but dont know if they would be considered a tip up or a hand line???

Offline Slammerman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's SLAMMIN' TIME !!!
« Reply #46 on: Dec 16, 2007, 01:16 AM »
I live in NY and I was gonna buy 2 to use in place of my 2 hand lines...  I like my tip ups but figured this would be like fishing another 2 tip ups when I dont feel like jigging ..but dont know if they would be considered a tip up or a hand line???

This should answer your question.

To:     [email protected]
Subject:     "Slammer" question
Date:     Mon, 26 Sep 2005 18:03:33 -0400

Hi Fisherman,

We have had numerous questions similar to yours over the years as different
tip-up types and modifications have appeared.  Here's my take on this subject,
and I acknowledge up front that I am biased in favor of the fisherman, both
because I fish and because I think the sportsman should be given every
opportunity and every consideration when we can allow a new technique, tool or
method.    My take on the Slammer Tip-Up:   it is clearly designed to be used without
constant tending or handling by the angler.  It is designed to operate in the
same fashion as a tip-up, in that it just sits there until a fish takes the bait
and trips the device to signal the angler that there has been fish activity.
After the device has been tripped the fisherman comes over and pulls the fish
out through the ice.  We must remember that there is no definition of tip-up or
fishing rod. The law ( 11-0103-12(b) ) states that each fisherman is allowed to
use two lines, with or without rod.  Regulations (NYCRR 10.4) allow a fisherman,
when fishing through the ice to use five tip-ups in addition to two hand lines.
However neither the law or rules and regs provide a definition of what a tip-up
is or is not.  As you know, tip-ups now come in all kinds of different shapes,
configurations, styles and operational methods. There are even "tip-downs" that
we have allowed fisherman to use over the years.  Because there is such a wide
range of types I think that we would have a very difficult time in court trying
to articulate what a tip-up is or that the "Slammer" is not. And the bottom line
is why do we want to restrict what fisherman can classify as a tip-up?  What
benefit do we or the resource gain? In this instance I think we can hang our hat
on the fact that this is a device that is set up and then activated by the fish
biting the bait and causing the device to signal such bite to the fisherman -
just like every other tip-up out there on the ice. The "Slammer" is not designed
to be held in the hand or used like a traditional fishing or jigging rod.
Therefore it is a tip-up.

If you have any further questions please let me know. 

--Director Bob Lucas

Director Robert T. Lucas
NYSDEC Division of Law Enforcement
625 Broadway
Albany, NY 12233-2500
Office (518) 402-8829
Fax     (518) 402-8830
e-mail:  [email protected]

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery

Offline 4cator

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Will ya look at that pig!!
« Reply #47 on: Dec 29, 2007, 09:28 AM »
Thats good information
All tyranny needs to succeed, is for men of good conscience to remain silent.    Thomas Jefferson.

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Jan 20, 2008, 04:24 PM »

I have plans .. if I have time .. to build a full size version in the next few weeks. After I have it done and have some time on the ice I'll post some pics.

Doug >))))>

Offline hunters08

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • all i can say is WOW
« Reply #49 on: Jan 21, 2008, 08:36 PM »
I have plans .. if I have time .. to build a full size version in the next few weeks. After I have it done and have some time on the ice I'll post some pics.

Doug >))))>

Nice full size!!!  Cant wait to see that one :tipup:

Offline Prairiegoat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 13# Pike
« Reply #50 on: Jan 23, 2008, 05:38 PM »
After procrastinating for a year even after reading all the reviews, I finally ordered one already assembled and three kits... can't wait to try them out!

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #51 on: Feb 17, 2008, 06:07 PM »

Just an update on my pursuit to get the Slammer legalized in my state. I started this the end of last season :

27. In N.J.A.C. 7:25-6.14(c), the Council proposes to repeal the existing prohibition
on devices with automatic hook setting capability and to allow the use of such
devices while ice fishing. A new type of ice fishing device has become available
to anglers with automatic hook setting capabilities. Unlike devices historically
marketed, this device may reduce hooking mortality as it diminishes the
probability of fish ingesting the hook.

Doug >))))>

Offline hunters08

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • all i can say is WOW
« Reply #52 on: Feb 19, 2008, 12:49 PM »

Just an update on my pursuit to get the Slammer legalized in my state. I started this the end of last season :

27. In N.J.A.C. 7:25-6.14(c), the Council proposes to repeal the existing prohibition
on devices with automatic hook setting capability and to allow the use of such
devices while ice fishing. A new type of ice fishing device has become available
to anglers with automatic hook setting capabilities. Unlike devices historically
marketed, this device may reduce hooking mortality as it diminishes the
probability of fish ingesting the hook.

Doug >))))>

Thats nice they should pass it! In my honest opinion and i have cuaght a ton of trout with the slammer it would be totally impossiable for a fish to swallow the hook with as sensative as my slammer is set up!! I have never had a miss fire it has a 100% hook up rate and every fish i have caught has been in the upper lip.I have only fished for larger fish with it,so i dont know about smaller fish.I do keep fish for the smoker but also let 75% of them go.If i get the chance again i will bring the video camera and get some videos. Maybe that will help you get it passed :tipup:

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #53 on: Feb 19, 2008, 02:49 PM »
Rubber bands keep dry rotting. have not caught anything yet. I'm trying some other spring system
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Offline Slammerman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's SLAMMIN' TIME !!!
« Reply #54 on: Feb 19, 2008, 03:21 PM »
Rubber bands keep dry rotting. have not caught anything yet. I'm trying some other spring system

The main thing the rubberbands do is ASSIST in the Slammer Arm dropping out of the way thus causing the flag to pop up. USUALLY when the Ring Release is tripped, the momentum of the ring moving is enough to cause the Slammer Arm to drop away.

I've gone 'round n 'round over the years on the rubber bands vs metal springs (they fail too easily in the cold/ice/water conditions one way or another), vs bungee cord (will eventually rot like rubberbands), vs angles, weights and/or gravity assisting the Slammer Arm dropping away on release.

Adjusting the angle of the Slammer Arm (Fig. 7 on the Orange Set-Up Sheet) so it is SLIGHTLY angled backwards towards the rod-holder will cause the arm to drop away on a release by gravity, but it's more important to adjust the arm angle so your tip section is parallel to the arm front for proper release. Adding some weight to the back of the Slammer Arm will also assist with a gravity drop-away.

Replacing the rubberbands with a piece of taut fish-line and adding a sinker to the middle of the line also works. Upon release, the weight of the sinker will pull the middle of the line down and cause the Slammer Arm to drop away.

When I designed Slammer Tip-Ups (and re-design and improve them), I make them as simple and effective as possible. Since most people (and especially fishermen) have rubberbands around, easily replaced and inexpensive linked rubberbands to assist in the Slammer Arm dropping away is about as simple as it gets.

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #55 on: Feb 19, 2008, 04:31 PM »

There is no reason it shouldn't pass. From what I've been told everyone on the committee is on board. The only drawback is it took so long it won't be in effect until next season .. better late than never !

I agree the rubber bands are the easiest. I carry a small zip lock bag with a half dozen rubber bands. I spray the inside of the baggie with a small shot of silicone spray. (The rubber band's on the slammer not in the water)
I'd say in one season I replace my rubber band twice. They dry rot and get brittle. It takes about 30 seconds to pull the old one off and replace with a new one .. and that's out on the ice.

Offline Iceline

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #56 on: Feb 20, 2008, 08:28 PM »

There is no reason it shouldn't pass. From what I've been told everyone on the committee is on board. The only drawback is it took so long it won't be in effect until next season .. better late than never !

I agree the rubber bands are the easiest. I carry a small zip lock bag with a half dozen rubber bands. I spray the inside of the baggie with a small shot of silicone spray. (The rubber band's on the slammer not in the water)
I'd say in one season I replace my rubber band twice. They dry rot and get brittle. It takes about 30 seconds to pull the old one off and replace with a new one .. and that's out on the ice.

I like that "spray the inside of the baggie with a small shot of silicone spray". Great idea ! Thanks!

Even eminent chartered accountants are known, in their capacity as fishermen, blissfully to ignore differences between seven and ten inches, half a pound and two pounds, three fish and a dozen fish.

Offline shermanpup

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #57 on: Feb 27, 2008, 01:48 PM »
The modifications I had done were not needed but I chose to do them. One was appearance mods and the other functionality.
In the appearance mods I had made several. One was lightly staining with cherry polyurethane. Another was burning my avatar into the front of slam board (you might see it in the pic) ... my first attempt at wood burning. Another was I preffered the hindge in flat black so I painted it.
As for the functionality part that was personal preference. I use short rods and modified the dimensions of the slammer (I'm not the first to do this) to accomodate a 28" + rod. I also added a slam plate. I kept the swing base the same length which left it overhanging the front but rounded the corners for easier swinging.
The spring action is fine ... I can honestly say I only had one miss all the time using it.
It was fun building it, it was fun personalizing it and it's fun and satisfying catching fish with it.

would it be possible to get the proper lenghts for a 28" set up from you? or could you post them?
thanks

Offline blueboy2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #58 on: Sep 17, 2008, 07:49 AM »
I made a slammer a few years ago. I used a five foot rod. Looked pretty weird fishing on the ice with a five foot rod. Used it on Lake Nipinsing and caught quite a few walleye on it... Pretty cool but I would rather use tip-ups on the ice...
[Hi I was wondering if you would be able post some plans on how to make a tipup , I live thousands of miles away from you guys and I would like to make one to try out. Thanking you in advance ....blueboy2/quote]

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #59 on: Sep 24, 2008, 08:03 PM »
here's a hyperlink for tip downs.... a little easier to make as far as getting parts

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=68075.0
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.