Author Topic: Yellow Perch - Junk Fish?  (Read 19374 times)

Offline LoveIce

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re: Yellow Perch - Junk Fish?
« Reply #90 on: Jan 31, 2005, 09:33 AM »
Yellow perch make great bird food  ;D
YOU DONT HAVE A FLASHER what are you nuts.

missfishylicious

« Reply #91 on: Jan 31, 2005, 02:32 PM »
Hey, a bald eagle thats not eating on a dead pig! Where did you ever find that? I thot thats all they ever ate. I`ll tell you, whoever dreamed them up as a national bird was not a hog farmer nor did he live near a hog farm. I would have voted for the wild turkey with Franklin.

I don't know if I'd have agreed with franklin either.here in central NY when we see the farmers go by with a manure wagon in the winter ,we call it the turkey buffet  ;D ;D even a carion eater beats that  :-X

Offline LoveIce

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #92 on: Jan 31, 2005, 03:01 PM »
So you are saying turkeys are $h!t eaters  :o I like that eagles eat pork  ;D
YOU DONT HAVE A FLASHER what are you nuts.

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #93 on: Jan 31, 2005, 10:02 PM »
I SAID THIS LAST YEAR ON HERE AND ILL SAY IT AGAIN. THE ONLY REASON YELLOW PERCH ARE DISLIKED SO MUCH IN MAINE IS BECAUSE THEY WERE ILLEGALLY INTRO DUCED IN OUR WATERS AND RUINED MANY A GOOD COLDWATER FISHERY. IVE EATEN SOME OF THOSE 14'' PECH IN CONN. AND YES THEY WERE GOOD. BUT THEY DONT BELONG IN OUR WATERS AND DO MORE HARM THAN GOOD . THEY ARE ALSO TOO SMALL TO FILLET. FOR YOU GUYS THAT CONSIDER THEM A GAME FISH, GOOD FOR YOU. AT LEAST THEY ARE GOING TO GOOD USE BUT AROUND HERE WE WILL DISPOSE OF THEM TO HELP OUR COLDWATER SPECIES OUT WHICH ARE NATIVE AND BELONG HERE. YES ITS TOO BAD THEY ARENT A EDIBLE SIZE AND CANT BE EATEN. BUT LIKE SCOTT SAID THE ANIMALS IN THE NORTH WOODS REALLY BENIFIT FROM WHAT WE LEAVE THEM. WE ARE ALL FISHERMEN AND WOMEN ON HERE AND I DONT THINK ANYONE TRULLY HATES ANY FISH THAT BENDS HIS POLE. AS A MATTER OF FACT THE FIRST FISH I LEARNED TO CATCH AS A KID WAS PERCH. THEY JUST DONT BELONG IN OUR WATERS AROUND HERE  AND DO MORE DAMAGE THAN ANYTHING ELSE. NO DISRESPECT INTENDED FOLKS.  TIGHT LINES!!

Offline archbishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #94 on: Feb 01, 2005, 08:00 AM »
well then freeze em and send them over here to western ny just ad bisquick a deep fryer and some cajun fries to hell with the birds im hungary for some yellow perch :thumbsup:

Offline FishDaddy09

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #95 on: Feb 01, 2005, 09:59 AM »
Anytime someone introduces a foreign species into a lake it's bad. Bass fishermen are probable the worst for this. Leave this kind of thing to DNR their experts at screws up lakes!
There is nothing in the world I'd rather do than ice fish!

Offline IceTroll

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #96 on: Feb 01, 2005, 12:30 PM »
Why does the Maine Game and Fish Department (or DNR as some call it) not take steps to reduce or eliminate these illegally introduced fish. It would not be that difficult to drastically reduce their numbers and in smaller waters, to illiminate them all together and then restock the native species. Sounds like that would make a whole lot of people happy.
Being in the great outdoors is not a matter of life or death. Its far more important than that!

Offline JigAwhopper

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • addicted to ICE
« Reply #97 on: Feb 01, 2005, 12:36 PM »
I SAID THIS LAST YEAR ON HERE AND ILL SAY IT AGAIN. THE ONLY REASON YELLOW PERCH ARE DISLIKED SO MUCH IN MAINE IS BECAUSE THEY WERE ILLEGALLY INTRO DUCED IN OUR WATERS AND RUINED MANY A GOOD COLDWATER FISHERY. IVE EATEN SOME OF THOSE 14'' PECH IN CONN. AND YES THEY WERE GOOD. BUT THEY DONT BELONG IN OUR WATERS AND DO MORE HARM THAN GOOD . THEY ARE ALSO TOO SMALL TO FILLET. FOR YOU GUYS THAT CONSIDER THEM A GAME FISH, GOOD FOR YOU. AT LEAST THEY ARE GOING TO GOOD USE BUT AROUND HERE WE WILL DISPOSE OF THEM TO HELP OUR COLDWATER SPECIES OUT WHICH ARE NATIVE AND BELONG HERE. YES ITS TOO BAD THEY ARENT A EDIBLE SIZE AND CANT BE EATEN. BUT LIKE SCOTT SAID THE ANIMALS IN THE NORTH WOODS REALLY BENIFIT FROM WHAT WE LEAVE THEM. WE ARE ALL FISHERMEN AND WOMEN ON HERE AND I DONT THINK ANYONE TRULLY HATES ANY FISH THAT BENDS HIS POLE. AS A MATTER OF FACT THE FIRST FISH I LEARNED TO CATCH AS A KID WAS PERCH. THEY JUST DONT BELONG IN OUR WATERS AROUND HERE  AND DO MORE DAMAGE THAN ANYTHING ELSE. NO DISRESPECT INTENDED FOLKS.  TIGHT LINES!!

no need to SCREAM,  my ears... ::)

missfishylicious

« Reply #98 on: Feb 01, 2005, 01:10 PM »
yeah quit yelling already  ;D.I agree there are trout waters in NY that yellow perch don't belong in.introducing foreign species, thats never good.

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #99 on: Feb 01, 2005, 01:26 PM »
Why does the Maine Game and Fish Department (or DNR as some call it) not take steps to reduce or eliminate these illegally introduced fish. It would not be that difficult to drastically reduce their numbers and in smaller waters, to illiminate them all together and then restock the native species. Sounds like that would make a whole lot of people happy.
i think that would be an extremely expensive temporary solution to a permanent problem. yellow perch are the least of our worries. the new wave bucket biologists as we like to call them are not intersted in yellow perch . they are spreading northern pike around in alarming numbers and threatening what have traditionally been salmon and trout fisheries. maines native species are far and few between with the majority of the fisheries being put and take. i have nothing agains northen pike and i love fishing for them but i think it will take decades ,possibly centuries for the fish to evolve to where they co exist

Offline archbishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #100 on: Feb 01, 2005, 04:15 PM »
yeah but yellow perch are still yummy :thumbsup:

Offline bud

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • never put off till tom. what you can catch today!
« Reply #101 on: Feb 01, 2005, 06:32 PM »
scott you are a bad man......lol       yellow perch.....i love them.......my friend darrell says why waste your time jigging for them.  i say yum yum and the trophies will come on the traps!    scott is also right about... expensive to remove illegal fish from a system.  we here in nh are fighting a rockbass problem and it has ruined a lot of good fisheries.  the rockbass have even desimated the yellow perch in most lakes they were introduced into.  think about that......they even overcame the yellow perch!  beware of these little devil fish!  i will say it again......scott you are a bad man.....lol.
BUD

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #102 on: Feb 01, 2005, 07:03 PM »
thanks bud ...oh yeah me bad!

Offline MeadowPikeman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Friends don't let friends fish without tip ups.
« Reply #103 on: Feb 01, 2005, 10:41 PM »
i can fillet even a 6" perch with no problems(when pulled out of 50ft  you have to keep em), so it would seem funny to me to waste them best tasting fish in our lakes. if they are a pest fish just keep everything and try frying up the tasty little buggers.
Ketchin dem Logs enough to build a house!!

Offline richstick

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I drill holes - lots of holes
« Reply #104 on: Feb 02, 2005, 09:02 PM »
I think it's funny to read all the trout/salmon guys saying how nasty perch are.  I can't stand any trout or salmon.  Oily, stinky, PCB laden junkfish in my humble opinion :-)  Perch and bluegills are the best eating fish in freshwater - with strong competition from whitefish, northern pike, burbot (yes burbot), and sturgeon.  Ever have sturgeon?  Tastes like lobster - delicious. 

Offline toguebuster

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tomorrow is a another day!
« Reply #105 on: Feb 02, 2005, 09:42 PM »
good for feeding eagles and coyotes here in maine ,we leave them all over the ice,no one keeps em here.they are a joke come and get em boys!!!!!!
We do not own this land ......We are just borrowing it from our children!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline MeadowPikeman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Friends don't let friends fish without tip ups.
« Reply #106 on: Feb 02, 2005, 10:17 PM »
try leaving perch on the ice here you'll get a nice hefty fine for wasting GAMEFISH!!!
Ketchin dem Logs enough to build a house!!

Offline METIPPIN

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got Ice?
« Reply #107 on: Feb 03, 2005, 02:20 PM »
I too Think they are bird food. I have caught my share of jumbo perch (14") and fried them boy they taste like !@#$ :P. Now they end up on the ice for the eagles and coyotes.

Maybe out west they taste better. Who knows? BUt for now unless I'm told by the IWF they will be footballs, hockey pucks and frisbies.

The only thing they are good for is when you have a couple dozen pinner shiners and some kids around to chase the flags all day. Nothing better than seeing a child smile when he/she catches a fish. ;D

Offline reelmaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #108 on: Feb 03, 2005, 02:29 PM »
Is there something in the water down there cause the are like candy here in manitoba
YOu can only get skunked so many times before you have to shower, Peeeeuuuuw

Offline METIPPIN

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got Ice?
« Reply #109 on: Feb 03, 2005, 02:56 PM »
I dont think its the water last i checked New jersey was South of maine. It could be food supply or lack there of.

Offline bud

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • never put off till tom. what you can catch today!
« Reply #110 on: Feb 03, 2005, 04:35 PM »
yeah you are ;D......lol.
BUD

missfishylicious

« Reply #111 on: Feb 04, 2005, 09:45 AM »
mettipin ...you did take the guts and scin off first ,right :-\  ;)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.