IceShanty Main > General Ice Fishing Chit Chat

Guide wrapping thin diameter blanks

(1/3) > >>

bigfoot86:
Any advice for wrapping guides on noodle blanks, especially at the thinner end?  I’ve built a few ultralight open water rods before and have found it tougher wrapping the guides near the thinnest diameter of the blank.

meandcuznalfy:
Go slow and keep it tight, it's tough to do, took me awhile to do the ones I built, I believe I tightened up the thread spools on my wrapper to help it stay tight.

defish:
We've all struggled with the first few noodle rod tip guides.  It's a common question so look in the Rod Building section on here, or do a search on the site for ideas. There are supports made for power wrappers just for this, but many have made their own supports for power or hand wrappers and I think I posted a photo of my tip support fixture for my hand wrapper here.  (It looks crude, but works great and was easy, and cheap to make.)

Besides a support, something that's made it easier for me to wrap on tip guides is to super glue the guides in place rather than using masking taping, etc. to hold them in place and having to juggle around removing the tape in mid-wrap.

Good luck.
Dan

Remps17:
https://sportsmensdirect.com/shop/mud-dog-wrapping-assistant-green/

I use a fly tying bobbin for the tip guide and often the second last guide as well. The mud dog wrapping assistant is pretty handy too.

I use hot melt to hold the guides on when wrapping.

If you have a dremel, grind down the foot of the guide so the thread will progress up the foot without issues. This saves a lot of swearing and getting pissed off. Haha

matzilla:
super glue and practice - I use a home made hand wrapper with adjustable supports and adjustable thread tension

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version