Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Whitefish

Bottoms

(1/5) > >>

jabers69:
I'm new to whitefish fishing . I've been told that mud bottoms are better then say rockie or gravel  bottoms . Is there anything to this . I fish on GrandLake in New Brunswick.  It has both types of bottoms

samson:
don't know too much about whitefish but i do know that they prefer mud bottom flats cos of the bloodworms and other invertebrae. 

Water Wolf:

--- Quote from: samson on Nov 17, 2005, 10:40 PM ---don't know too much about whitefish but i do know that they prefer mud bottom flats cos of the bloodworms and other invertebrate. 

--- End quote ---
I know that whitefish feed everywhere in the water column from a few cm under the ice to a few cm off the bottom. But mid depths can be quite productive, though the larger fish are usually along the bottom.
Partly weedy flats may attract the whitefish too for the same reason as mud flats food.
A small wire worm or small bead-head nymph will usually work well, make sure you tye them so they hang horizontally in the water.
Good luck. :tipup:

WW

jacksmelt71:
in n. maine we get them on muddy flats near the bottom but ive got them 15ft. of the bottom on tip ups and live bait before. i usually get them on a sz. 7 pimple with a 6in. leader w/ a sz. 6 hook. put some cut bait or small garden worms on for bait and your ready. the nymph technique sounds like it would work well too but ive yet to try it.

samson:
good tips, gonna try it out this season

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version