Author Topic: First Ice  (Read 8515 times)

Offline Josephs Prairie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • See you on the ice!
First Ice
« on: Oct 11, 2004, 02:47 PM »
Okay, who (where) is going to have the first ice near them? Must be a lake not a pond, and be a usual fishing area.
You guys up north will probably be the first but it will be cool to see how the province freezes over as it gets colder.
We have been dipping down to freezing a few nights but not enough to freeze more than a dog dish of water.
NAFC Life Member
Catcherman.com Staff
B&D Custom Lures Pro Staff

Offline Spicoli

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I fish therefore I am.
Re: First Ice
« Reply #1 on: Oct 11, 2004, 10:40 PM »
Hey Joseph do you watch any hockey?

Offline Josephs Prairie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • See you on the ice!
« Reply #2 on: Oct 12, 2004, 03:07 PM »
Not this year, with the players out.
What are the chances of you having first ice in your neck of BC?
NAFC Life Member
Catcherman.com Staff

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm keeping my eye on you guys.....
« Reply #3 on: Nov 02, 2004, 09:52 PM »
Heh JP. Hope you had a good summer. No ice on the big lakes or even the small lakes here in Prince George area. I do have a favorite half lake, half pond that is up a mountain that has 3 inches of ice. Buddies were up last weekend and gave me the report. They caught 5 rainbows each 2-4lbs. I'm off to Ontario for our families annual deer hunt. Back on the 18th and am hopeing to get on some local small lakes when I get back. Did hit   -17 C on Oct 22, but lately it has warmed up to -7 to -5 at night  then 0 in day :( so my fingers are crossed till I return.

Offline Spicoli

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I fish therefore I am.
« Reply #4 on: Nov 02, 2004, 11:12 PM »
oh alright then i was just wondering if you watched the kootenay ice at all, i know some guys that play on the team.

Offline Josephs Prairie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • See you on the ice!
« Reply #5 on: Nov 03, 2004, 12:39 PM »
oh alright then i was just wondering if you watched the kootenay ice at all, i know some guys that play on the team.

Yes I do watch the Kootenay Ice play. I used to billet some of the hockey players from the team at my home. We haven't done it for a couple years since we have had kids of our own.

Hey Terry, our weather seems about the same as you. I think that some of our mountain lakes around here are frozen as well. I used to take a trip to this one lake in the fall everyear and everytime I went it had ice on it. But we would try to knock a hole though with a rock and fish anyway.
I wonder if it is frozen now? Probably!
NAFC Life Member
Catcherman.com Staff

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 17, 2004, 07:30 AM »
Heh JP. How is the weather out that way now??? I heard it warmed up? I'm in Ontario right now but will be coming home to gods country tomorrow. Look forward to ice.
Cheers
Anyone from BC going to the Pigeon Lake Contest in Alberta in Feb 2005?

Offline Josephs Prairie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • See you on the ice!
« Reply #7 on: Nov 19, 2004, 04:42 PM »
I am planning on going this year Terry and I will be going with my regular fishing partner. I will be on the ice probably the night before sometime, as we will probably find a warm pub to sit in for a while. Or we might try and do some pre fishing. I am sure I will see you in the line up. Let me see if I can remember your discrption, big man, just as big mouth! Ha Ha! LMAO! Isn't that what you said?
Oh and it is still cold here at night, we did get some snow again last night.
NAFC Life Member
Catcherman.com Staff

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 19, 2004, 07:38 PM »
No No, BIG Man BIG Rod..........6ft 4inches tall. One eye. Usually wearing a fur hat. Actually very quiet but it the quiet ones you have to watch out for ;) Yeah it is -4 right now outside house and snowing. Thinking of going up to my mountain lake on Sunday. Should be a good 6inches of ice now there. None at low level >:(

Offline Josephs Prairie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • See you on the ice!
« Reply #9 on: Nov 20, 2004, 04:09 PM »
Are you trying to say that's the size of your one eyed rod ??? LMAO! I don't want to know. Anyway it's -5 here today (Nov 20) and if I had time I would be heading out for some hard water myself. No rest for the working man. You think you got 6" of ice there eh! I have to get out to check around, I took Nov 26 off so I could go out and check the mountain lakes around here.
NAFC Life Member
Catcherman.com Staff

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 25, 2004, 04:59 PM »
Some of low altitute lakes are now freezing over. The bigger ones will be awhihe yet. Was fishing med sized lake by my place and had 5 inches on (3 days ago). That is plenty for this big lad.

Offline Josephs Prairie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • See you on the ice!
« Reply #11 on: Nov 26, 2004, 07:19 PM »
We have 3" of ice on Lisbon lake near me last weekend so should be quite abit more now since it has been cold all week. So that means most small lakes around here would be frozen! I am planning on going somewhere this weekend to ice fish, I just haven't figured out where yet.
NAFC Life Member
Catcherman.com Staff

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Nov 27, 2004, 12:21 PM »
Good luck JP

Offline Josephs Prairie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • See you on the ice!
« Reply #13 on: Nov 30, 2004, 08:06 PM »
I never made it out :( The wife had me on her honey dew list all wekend. I am busy next weekend, but I did take monday off. So there is a chance I will go then.
NAFC Life Member
Catcherman.com Staff

SWAMPER

« Reply #14 on: Dec 02, 2004, 11:18 AM »
this is a pretty good site guys.i am in the williams lake area.new to the area so i dont know where the good spots are. any tips or destinations whould be helpful. the smaller lakes are frozen, but alot of snow too. anyone fish around here?

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 02, 2004, 06:59 PM »
Heh Swamper, I never fished as far south as "Willys Puddle" but will check with a few of my sources and get back to you. Don't you have a Surplus Herbies there. They should be able to point you in the right direction. Try and get on the ice before X-mas for some hot action. After that it just gets to be hot & cold. I go on when there is 3 inches of ice. Have the picks over the shoulder just in case. Test the ice often. I do pass thru WL,  down for the ice derby at Kamloops in Feb. Lots of fun. Welcome aboard.

PIKEnICE

« Reply #16 on: Dec 02, 2004, 07:57 PM »
no good ice in western mass yet..     getting pumped 4 first ice though!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 02, 2004, 09:16 PM »
Looks like ya gotta move up north.
I'm on ice 6 months ;D

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 05, 2004, 06:40 PM »
All you BCers should be on ice now. It got down to -20C last night and probably same tonight here in Prince George area. Great ice making weather.

rayne

« Reply #19 on: Dec 05, 2004, 09:30 PM »
Anyone know if cluculz lake has any ice on the far end by the island? (P.G. area) Just started ice fishing last year, cool website. Any info on good lake char or ling producing lakes in the prince george area would be appreciated thanks.

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 05, 2004, 11:43 PM »
My dear fellow icer, you are in my back yard. If you are talking of Pettas Island, no ice yet but if it stays -20 for the next few nights, you never know. Island by PG side, no ice when I went by today. Lots of good linging around. Cluculz can be hot and cold but have caught them up to 14.5 lbs. Fraser lake good for ling. Eaglet not, and daily quota now 1 there. Char also in Cluculz, every year someone catches one in the 50lb range. Welcome to iceshanty. Icefishing is my addiction. I posted some pics of brookies caught at Cobb lake. Just look under pic section. Send me a personal message if you want more info. If you ever want to go out fishing sometime maybe we could conect on a lake.  ;D

rayne

« Reply #21 on: Dec 06, 2004, 01:23 AM »
Thanks for the info Terry , nice fish. Cobb lake is one of my favorites though I've only iced it once I find its excellent in the late spring for decent sized rainbow and brookie action. You can bet I'll be on cluculz as soon as there's safe ice I'm kinda of addicted to the char fishin. Ive been tiding myself over with some winter dollie fishing in the nechako, caught a couple of 3-4 pounders last weekend but no monsters ,Ive heard rumors of 15+lbers in the fraser and nechako but my personal best is about an eight. Maybe we should go for a fish on the cluc when she freezes, talk to ya later.

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Dec 06, 2004, 09:33 AM »
I live a mile from Cluculz lake so will let you know when it freezes. Its -24 right now so should be soon if this weather stays. If you like char fishing I could take you up to X^$##* lake. I have never icefished it but in summer you had to keep your line above 20ft otherwise you would get too many char and we were fishing for rainbows. One day I caught & released in 6 hrs over 20 char, rangeing from 6lbs to 21lbs. I've found a few off shore humps and holes that I plan on jigging when ice comes. I will stay in my heated cabin and go by sled. It will be at least 3 weeks before it even skims over. BIG BIG ling in this lake (up to 26lb).
Sounds like nice dollies you get. I used to fish the Nechako yrs back. There is a great dolly spot east of PG about 1 1/2hrs but you just have to fend off the bears.
Why don't you join the iceshanty tourney for a little friendly local competition ;)

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Dec 06, 2004, 05:49 PM »
Heh Rayne, I was just by the east end (PG side) and ice has started to form but the mid section is still open with water vapours rising.  Trumpeter Swans on the north side by Camp Lever. I didn't check Pettas island out but it is early to freeze on Cluculz.

rayne

« Reply #24 on: Dec 12, 2004, 10:10 PM »
Hey Terry that sounds like a great lake that dolly spot wouldn't happen to be out in the tumuch shanty area would it? I do allot of fishing out there in the summers,and have found tons of lakes and creeks that are literally bubbling with fish if hit at the right times, there's also tons of bear out that way , while hunting out there this year I came across a Griz the the size of a house but I never hunt bear as long as they don't mess with me I won't mess with them. Hey have you ever ice fished narrow, pitoney or stony lakes?(willow forest road)  We usually do really good out at narrow for decent sized char in the summer and Ive heard there's big ling in there too. I did manage to make it out to pitoney last year near the end of winter, but I misjudged how much ice would be out there I forgot my auger at home and just packed my chainsaw(dreaming of of big fish I guess!!!) Needless to say I didn't make it through the ice there must have been 4-5 feet of ice on that dammed lake it was pretty funny though and I had to laugh at myself. I'll probally try it again this year, I was told that there's ling in there though not very big. Do you think those lakes would be froze up yet???

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Dec 12, 2004, 10:46 PM »
I have fished tumuch area and yes good fishing out that way. I have icefished all those lakes you mentioned but that was at least 10 yrs ago so don't have up to date info. According to my 66 yr old mentor buddy (who retired at 51 to fish full time), there is good fishing for char and ling in Narrow lake. I treeplanted in Stoney lake area 5 yrs ago and went down after work and left a set line for ling with good results over the 10 days.
I'm sure Narrow lake should have ice as is a little high in altitute, Stoney lake a little bigger but you never know, Pitoney lake I would think has ice. Maybe call Northern Troutfitters in  PG, they may have some reports coming in. But then again Sheldon doesn't like ice much and thinks I'm crazy for going on ice in November. Also check with Marty at Bonvoyage Sports. Northern Hardware too. They get reports from people going out as well. My buddy is going down to Nelson lake tomorrow for some rainbow action. Probably nothing over a pound though. I checked out Cluculz today and main body still open but end by PG is iced. Trembler lake by Ft St James has huge rainbows but can be tough access as long snowmobile ride.

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Dec 13, 2004, 11:47 PM »
Forget calling the local sports shops. I was at all of them and they know nothing. Buddy caught 8 at Nelson lake today. Average a pound each. Tomorrow off to Kathie lake for some brookies. I will post some pics if lucky.

rayne

« Reply #27 on: Dec 14, 2004, 10:15 PM »
Ya ice fishing doesn't seem to popular with those guys for some odd reason, I'd be trying to promote it a little more if I were them? This warm weather sucks I'd like at least -20 for good week or two good luck on the brookies!

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Dec 15, 2004, 12:11 AM »
Caught and released over 50 brookies in 3 hrs at Kathie lake today. I decided I wanted to move holes to see if I could catch bigger ones. When pulling hook out of water a brookie came into the hole to the top and turned and went back down. Couldn't keep them off the hook. The biggest one was 12 inches but they were all around 10in. Just ate a couple and couldn't believe how soft and slightly muddy flavored. I will not be going there again except maybe next year. Heading to cobb lake tomorrow. At least the fish taste good there. Don't let the above freezing temps fool you. There is lots of ice out there. 9 inches on Kathie, 13 on smaller lake next to there. Probably be a foot on cobb by now. I'm sure you are hopeing for cold weather to freeze up cluculz lake. It will freeze around Jan 1st approx. If you want some practice locally you can go to west lake and catch peamouth chub for set-lining for ling. Won't be posting any brookie pics today as camera fogged up when I tried to warm it up on ice prior to taking picture.

rayne

« Reply #29 on: Dec 15, 2004, 12:58 AM »
50 thats excellent Kathie lake , that sounds familiar eskers? I fished camp last year with a buddy and did surprisingly well for brookies(they were like sharks) he hated me for dragging him on such a long walk but loved the fishing I think we took the scenic route to the lake.  I've already loaded up on bait in the summer, but was wondering your opinion of chicken hearts and liver I noticed lots of guys use it but when I tried it I experienced some of the slowest fishing of my life I think this year I'll try roe thats gotta be deadly.Might try crystal on the weekend should be decent fishing in there now I would think.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.