Author Topic: charging 12v 9ah battery  (Read 14536 times)

Offline flagup!

• Team IceShanty Regular
charging 12v 9ah battery
« on: Jan 29, 2020, 06:47 AM »
I have a hummingbird ice 55 and lost the charger.   I m an idiot when it comes to amps and voltage.   Can I charge these batteries with a trickle charge from a regular car charger.  How low does the charger have to go to be safe?
The only time I learn something is when I'm not talking.

Offline flagup!

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: charging 12v 9ah battery
« Reply #1 on: Jan 29, 2020, 07:15 AM »
So I answered my own question with some research on line.  It all has to do with the amp hours.  These chargers are meant for a car battery which are approx. 45 Amp hr. You can do it, but there is a possibility of overcharging.    If I have a 1 Amp charger it would charge at a rate of 1 amp/hour.  So a 9Ah battery completely dead would take 9 hours if charged with a 1 amp charger.  A 3Amp charger would take only 2 hours.
I believe the slower you charge the better it is for the battery.  If someone else could chime in that would be great thanks.  Found a good explanation for dummies here.
https://scooterlifestyle.com/can-i-charge-my-scooter-battery-with-a-car-charger/

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Jan 29, 2020, 07:40 AM »
If your location is correct this may fit the bill with a short drive ...whens the last time you charged your battery ? How old is your battery ? ..

https://www.cabelas.com/product/American-Hunter-Volt-V-Outlet-Charger/2843649.uts?slotId=6
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #3 on: Jan 29, 2020, 08:11 AM »
I wouldn't recommend using more than 1.5 amps when charging a battery of that size. Rule of thumb is to charge your battery for two hours for every hour you used it.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline flagup!

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 29, 2020, 08:34 AM »
The last time I used the battery was last year.  Its probably 4-5 yrs old.    The hummin bird says its at 70 %.   And I know when I go buy a charger, I'll find the old one....

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Jan 29, 2020, 08:47 AM »
The last time I used the battery was last year.  Its probably 4-5 yrs old.    The hummin bird says its at 70 %.   And I know when I go buy a charger, I'll find the old one....

May have reached the life span of your battery...should be charged after each use ..and once every two months or so between seasons .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Jan 29, 2020, 12:53 PM »
Pick up a battery tender jr 12v. Your battery should state on the side what the max discharge/charge rate is, most are 1.5-2A. Car/boat chargers are typically 10-20A and 2A on trickle setting. Trickle setting may work, but I wouldnt chance it.

https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-021-0123-Junior-Charger/dp/B000CITKCE/ref=asc_df_B000CITK8S/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198093653755&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=7667818155537939076&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9018656&hvtargid=pla-370669784302&th=1
EYECONICFISHING

Offline eyeflyer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 29, 2020, 07:37 PM »
I wouldn't recommend using more than 1.5 amps when charging a battery of that size. Rule of thumb is to charge your battery for two hours for every hour you used it.
How could that possibly be a "rule of thumb" when the amount of draw can vary so much?

Offline flagup!

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 30, 2020, 08:37 AM »
Kevin23, Pick up a battery tender jr 12v.

After researching this sight, I came across someone recommending the battery tender junior to someone else with my same problem.  Might have been you.   They look nicer than the other chargers. I ordered one on Amazon last night I'll have it today.  Just in time for Sat.  Now all I need is Ice. Thanks.

Pretty sure the battery is still good, even though its at 70% I'm still getting a smidge over 12 volts.  Thanks for every ones input.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Jan 30, 2020, 08:44 AM »
After researching this sight, I came across someone recommending the battery tender junior to someone else with my same problem.  Might have been you.   They look nicer than the other chargers. I ordered one on Amazon last night I'll have it today.  Just in time for Sat.  Now all I need is Ice. Thanks.

Pretty sure the battery is still good, even though its at 70% I'm still getting a smidge over 12 volts.  Thanks for every ones input.

Good video about batteries and charging ..9:59 mark makes a good point

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #10 on: Jan 30, 2020, 09:29 AM »
How could that possibly be a "rule of thumb" when the amount of draw can vary so much?
Just an old "rule of thumb" from the days when flashers came with a 7 ah battery and a 500 milliamp charger. Probably doesn'f fit in today's world.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline flagup!

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 30, 2020, 02:06 PM »
Good video...Thanks.

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
« Reply #12 on: Jan 30, 2020, 05:24 PM »
I have a hummingbird ice 55 and lost the charger.   I m an idiot when it comes to amps and voltage.   Can I charge these batteries with a trickle charge from a regular car charger.  How low does the charger have to go to be safe?

The real rule of thumb is actually C10,  or 1/10 the capacity of a battery.  Yours being 9amp should be charged at .9 amp or 900mAmp.  Now a 1 amp charger won't do any damage, just don't leave it on for more than 8-9 hours, sort of overnight.

Offline flagup!

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 31, 2020, 08:20 AM »
I bought the 750mA battery tender junior.  It seems nice I like it, it has the technology to not over charge the battery.    Took about 3 hrs to charge it to full capacity.     All is good now.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #14 on: Jan 31, 2020, 08:46 AM »
Yeah the battery tender jr is a nice smart charger.its a maintainer also and wont overcharge a battery.i leave one connected to my snowmobile battery all year.

Offline bigfoot86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Feb 14, 2020, 04:54 PM »
If your goin to charge a smaller amp battery, you don't want to high of an output on you charger.  Always safe to go with something like a 2 amp charger or something similar.  I was given a battery tender jr. which which only is a .75amp trickle charger so it takes a while but it does the job. 

Offline Evil Tom

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Jesus walked on water...once I do it every year
« Reply #16 on: Feb 15, 2020, 01:44 PM »
The battery will tell you right on it.

Offline Evil Tom

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Jesus walked on water...once I do it every year
« Reply #17 on: Feb 15, 2020, 01:49 PM »
As long as you don't charge it with more amps than that you'll be fine.I use a 2 amp ship and shore charger Schumacher 2 amp setting with AGM( if that's your battery type).Usually takes 3-4 hrs depending on battery.A trickle charger could take 12-16 hrs.

Offline eyeflyer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 15, 2020, 11:01 PM »

Offline bigfoot86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Feb 20, 2020, 08:25 AM »
I picked up one of these seems to work pretty good.
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0716HN1Y4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That's perfect...actually see it's 1.5 amp charge too.  The battery tender junior I have is nice but only .75 amp charge so it takes a little longer to charge a 9 amp battery. 

Offline flagup!

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 20, 2020, 08:28 AM »
Did I read somewhere that slower was better???

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Feb 21, 2020, 06:05 AM »
Did I read somewhere that slower was better???

Must have been in a woman's magazine.  :)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.