Author Topic: Ice jig storage  (Read 5942 times)

Offline Redneck Fishfinder

• Team IceShanty Addict
Ice jig storage
« on: Sep 19, 2019, 09:44 AM »
Who has a good set-up for storing jigs like spoons and jigging Rapalas? Mine share compartments and get chipped over time. These things are pretty expensive, I need to find a good storage solution. I would appreciate any input!

Offline TheCrappieFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Ice jig storage
« Reply #1 on: Sep 19, 2019, 10:18 AM »
Clam spoon box (or make your own) some guys on YouTube show there's off.
Rose creek spoon box, only for spoons though. 

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #2 on: Sep 19, 2019, 04:48 PM »
There's lotsa great ideas here. Spoons are easy, jigging lures (Raps, Shiver Minnows etc) a different story. Here's what I did with mine.

Get you a shallow 3600 Plano, 3601 I believe, and add some thing closed cell foam in the bottom. You'll only get a few lures in each spot but they don't bounce around or tangle (much). An outfit called LureLock makes a plastic Plano-style box with a sticky insert that is said to hold lures like that from bouncing around. They also offer cut-to-fit sticky stuff for boxes you may already own. I am intrigued by the concept but have no first hand experience with it. I may get a CTF kit and try it in one of my existing boxes.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Sep 19, 2019, 11:50 PM »
here is a video that was done on how to store jigging raps :

I use three of these (they are the large size ones) :

https://shop.clamoutdoors.com/deluxe-spoon-boxes.html#163=183

here is the XL version :

https://shop.clamoutdoors.com/deluxe-spoon-boxes.html#163=188

here is the small version :

https://shop.clamoutdoors.com/deluxe-spoon-boxes.html#163=181
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline Bucket Rump

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Sep 20, 2019, 07:19 AM »

Get you a shallow 3600 Plano, 3601 I believe, and add some thing closed cell foam in the bottom. You'll only get a few lures in each spot but they don't bounce around or tangle (much). An outfit called LureLock makes a plastic Plano-style box with a sticky insert that is said to hold lures like that from bouncing around. They also offer cut-to-fit sticky stuff for boxes you may already own. I am intrigued by the concept but have no first hand experience with it. I may get a CTF kit and try it in one of my existing boxes.

I tried the LureLock boxes last season for some of my jigging rap style baits - not 100% sold on 'em.  You have to store the boxes horizontally to have any chance the lures will stay in place, and even then the contents get loose when jostled about.  Doing the closed cell foam method has worked better for me.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #5 on: Sep 20, 2019, 08:25 AM »
@monticatgeek: I use that sort of box for spoons but never for JRs. My concern is getting that front hook snagged in the foam and ripping it all up. Could probably get away with Shiver Minnows but anything with a front hook might be asking for trouble. Unless, of course, you have a different experience you could share with us.

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Sep 21, 2019, 02:04 AM »
@monticatgeek: I use that sort of box for spoons but never for JRs. My concern is getting that front hook snagged in the foam and ripping it all up. Could probably get away with Shiver Minnows but anything with a front hook might be asking for trouble. Unless, of course, you have a different experience you could share with us.

I honestly don't fish with raps. I just shared that video because I know who the guy is that made it and how he uses that box to store them. I agree with you on the foam getting ripped out over time. I can say first hand thou that the clam boxes do seem to have a higher density foam in them that should stand up to hooks over time but I guess time would tell if you used it for raps.  I have used one of these boxes with spoons like the Leech Flutter Spoon. For the traditional style spoons they work great.
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Sep 21, 2019, 07:24 PM »
There's lotsa great ideas here. Spoons are easy, jigging lures (Raps, Shiver Minnows etc) a different story. Here's what I did with mine.

Where did you get the foam that you put in the bottom?  I have Plano boxes like that with the blue rust inhibitor dividers that I'd like to put the foam in.

Offline Redneck Fishfinder

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Oct 01, 2019, 01:09 PM »
There's a lot of good ideas here. I like the recycled bullet box. It seems like most of the other ideas use foam. That looks good to.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #9 on: Oct 01, 2019, 02:46 PM »
Where did you get the foam that you put in the bottom?  I have Plano boxes like that with the blue rust inhibitor dividers that I'd like to put the foam in.

I collect all the closed cell foam pieces from electronic equipment. Some is the white stuff like you see in the other pics, got the black/grey and even some pink. Blocks and sheets. Got a big box full of foam for whatever I need it for. I do not save styro, air bags or peanuts unless I expect to be shipping something out soon.

Offline TheCrappieFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Oct 01, 2019, 02:48 PM »
Two more ideas are :
Gruv micro jig box
Gamakatsu G box 3600

I have some big plans for tackle reorganization this fall, I'll try to post some pictures to share my ideas after.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Oct 01, 2019, 07:49 PM »
What about this ? At link I know there salmon. Soon pads work for Swedish pimples ect. Slender jigs and stuff like eppinger devil dogs and cleo spoons .. but if talking another type of spoon don't know if these wold work better at link?? Instead of buting item at link you could try cutting pvc pipe to lenght  and use  plastic pvc caps in a box? Similar to below probobly cheaper.   Write jig lure colors on out side of tube  along with size! Etc..

https://amishoutfitters.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=19&products_id=98

Offline Sylvanboat

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Oct 02, 2019, 04:56 PM »
I have some big plans for tackle reorganization this fall, I'll try to post some pictures to share my ideas after.
[/quote]

I always have big plans too. Then I start drinking.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Oct 02, 2019, 05:59 PM »
25%off jigging raps at fish usa till midnight eastRen time tonight..

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Oct 03, 2019, 12:35 PM »
They sell this cLear furniture grade pvc sch 40  in .5 inch .75 inch and 1 inch inside diameters

Cut to lenght of jighing rap.and cap with white pvc caps? .75 inside dia is around $12.5 for 5 foot of it..

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Formufit-3-4-in-x-5-ft-Furniture-Grade-Sch-40-PVC-Pipe-in-Clear-P034FGP-UV/206028381

Caps

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Charlotte-Pipe-1-in-PVC-Sch-40-Socket-Cap-PVC021161000HD/203818100

Or just use 10 foot of white pvc and use masking tape a permeates marker to wright size color etc. On pvc pipe.. so you know whas in it?  Then use plano boxes to store them.  I would also make a storage rack out of wood to store them in drill out so the pvc tube is vertical in steps so you can see what be hind the row behind it then just take along colors and sizes you need?

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #15 on: Oct 03, 2019, 12:50 PM »
I use a fly storage box.  Many sizes out there. 

Offline ResterP

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2020, 08:10 AM »

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.