New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SARATOGA LAKE BS THREAD  (Read 223618 times)

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: SARATOGA LAKE BS THREAD
« Reply #300 on: Mar 29, 2014, 12:20 PM »
Trucks still on the ice off Fitch today, and not just parked near shore.  Ice holding up good.  Fishing was a little slow for me, fished weed edges and in/over the new growth (up to about 2-3' thick in places already.  Didn't get any perch, but got several gills, a few bass, my season best pickerel (23"), and a handful of rock bass.  Enough showing up on the finder to make it interesting. 

Tried out deeper again looking for perch, and found (what else) dinks.

Offline iceangler442

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got ice?
« Reply #301 on: Mar 29, 2014, 10:01 PM »
By far the best day I've had out on saratoga yet....Got a ton of bass couple nice size largemouth...Got into some crappie and blue gill... got my PB crappie 13inch....Got 3 pickerel as well...only one perch....Couldnt keep up with the flags I was chasing them all day in between pulling up fish from jigging...3 times today we had 2 flags go off at once both with different fish..Awesome day. :tipup:

Offline chessieman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #302 on: Mar 30, 2014, 06:36 AM »
Had one of my best days off Fitch yesterday, limit on gills, 1/2 dozen crappie and quite a few bass and pickerel - all on fluorescent orange tear-drop, in less than 7 FoW, suspended 2-3' off the bottom - only 4 other people fishing in the AM - considering the weather, I might be putting the augers and jig poles away and getting the boat ready for stripers

Offline iceangler442

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got ice?
« Reply #303 on: Mar 30, 2014, 07:23 AM »
Only disappointing thing yesterday was watching these guys take bass...not only are they taking them out of season they aren't nearly of size if they were.

Offline xxxbeer247

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #304 on: Mar 30, 2014, 07:27 AM »
You should report that. Those are Probly the same guys that lined up on the kaydeross 2 winters ago when the ice was out super early and were taking beyond their limit of walleye and pike.   Makes me sick to see it happen

Offline DrGreene

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #305 on: Mar 30, 2014, 08:05 AM »
You should have called the dec,there needs to be greater consequences for keeping fish out of season,to small or to many!I would have made a big stink about that! If you see them again call the DEC and tell them simple

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #306 on: Mar 30, 2014, 08:14 AM »
Only disappointing thing yesterday was watching these guys take bass...not only are they taking them out of season they aren't nearly of size if they were.

report it asap...

Offline Fidlerontheice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #307 on: Mar 30, 2014, 12:09 PM »
Ice off of fitch is still good shoreline sketchy limited on gills with ease this morning. Be safe saw lots of larger open holes yesterday while I was walking around. Went to deep water yesterday found immense numbers of dink perch few keepers.

Stay safe tight lines! Careful of springs this year!
!!FLAG!!

Offline iceangler442

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got ice?
« Reply #308 on: Mar 31, 2014, 10:30 AM »
Anyone out there today? Was gonna head up later...I hope the shoreline is good enough to get out there.

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #309 on: Mar 31, 2014, 01:54 PM »
There's a few guys out this afternoon, just drove by there.  Looks like you have to pick your route to get on the ice carefully.

I stopped at the launch ramp.  The water has come up maybe 6" or a foot, access down the ramp is gone.  Looks like you could still get on off the side/end or on the rocks on the north side.

Offline ice tripper

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • ice tripping all over the capital region for 30yrs
« Reply #310 on: Mar 31, 2014, 02:19 PM »
Just came off the lake at fitch rd about 40min ago.shoreline is starting to go like buzz23 said you have to carefully pick your route going out.top layer is starting to melt to where your sinking down a half an inch.alot of old holes are opening up please watch where you are walking.great day to be out.walked out with icefishersteve.caught about 20 large mouths 8 seeds  10 bluegill and 6pickeral.they really liked the color green today.Steve nice fishing with you and hopefully you can make the trip to the king on thursday.

Offline bergal1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #311 on: Mar 31, 2014, 03:34 PM »
Many thanks to buz23 for all the info he posted on ice fishing Saratoga lake this winter.  well appreciated and thank you again.

Offline IcefisherSteve

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #312 on: Mar 31, 2014, 06:04 PM »
Anyone out there today? Was gonna head up later...I hope the shoreline is good enough to get out there.
Nice meeting you today. Hope you got into em after I left.

Offline IcefisherSteve

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #313 on: Mar 31, 2014, 06:06 PM »
Just came off the lake at fitch rd about 40min ago.shoreline is starting to go like buzz23 said you have to carefully pick your route going out.top layer is starting to melt to where your sinking down a half an inch.alot of old holes are opening up please watch where you are walking.great day to be out.walked out with icefishersteve.caught about 20 large mouths 8 seeds  10 bluegill and 6pickeral.they really liked the color green today.Steve nice fishing with you and hopefully you can make the trip to the king on thursday.
Stayed til 630. I was walking back to truck and decided to try one more hole...3 hours later I finally left for real lol. I'm in for thursday

Offline Fontona19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #314 on: Mar 31, 2014, 07:10 PM »
Stayed til 630. I was walking back to truck and decided to try one more hole...3 hours later I finally left for real lol. I'm in for thursday

Good deal! Hopefully we put a hurting on them.

Offline iceangler442

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got ice?
« Reply #315 on: Mar 31, 2014, 08:44 PM »
Nice meeting you today. Hope you got into em after I left.
Yes nice meeting you as well..I did get into them right before it got dark...almost got my limit....and I hooked into this big pickerel and was yelling to the two guys to help me because it wouldn't come through the hole I wanted them to drill a hole next to it but all they had was a 4 inch but they did grab its mouth with pliers so I could get the jig out...

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #316 on: Apr 01, 2014, 05:36 PM »
A few diehards off Fitch late this afternoon, but the shore is going fast.  Yesterday I thought access was still possible at the boat launch.  Today there is a lot more open water all around it.

Offline iceangler442

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got ice?
« Reply #317 on: Apr 01, 2014, 07:53 PM »
If anyone is heading up there tomorrow let me know how it is...Thinking of having my last day tomorrow..

Offline Fidlerontheice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #318 on: Apr 02, 2014, 04:19 AM »
Heading there tonight after work will reply tonight!
!!FLAG!!

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #319 on: Apr 02, 2014, 09:28 AM »
Just drove by the lake.  There is still access at Fitch.  Water has come up maybe 1.5' (think they may have put the boards on the dam), but the ice has also shifted some to the north.  One guy out already.

Also checked out fish creek.  There is a good sized crew putting new wooden bumpers around the launch area, but it looks as though the ice is good and right up to the shore off the left end of the wharf.  I think I might go this afternoon.  I'm not ready to give in yet.

Offline phil2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #320 on: Apr 02, 2014, 05:30 PM »
Watch your self went by round at 10 it looked fine by 6 it was green. Sunday with the jiffy on fitch it was cutting chunk's with no hard spots.

Offline Fidlerontheice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #321 on: Apr 02, 2014, 06:20 PM »
Stopped with high hopes tonight at 440 and the shore was gone you'll need a 30 ft' extenstion ladder to get on now at fitch. A boat would of been usefull today if I had brought one an easy 10ft of open water and unsafe ice easily.

Stay safe if you intend to venture I am heading to a few northern ponds this weekend with high hopes!!
!!FLAG!!

Offline iceangler442

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got ice?
« Reply #322 on: Apr 03, 2014, 10:36 AM »
Yeah its over guys...went to fitch yesterday around 3 and the shoreline is shot...a guy in waiters walked through the water onto the ice walked out a little bit and fell right through the ice walked one more step and fell through again....he had to roll back to the shore...

Offline bergal1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #323 on: Apr 03, 2014, 12:00 PM »
now that is a diehard ice fisherman.  glad he made it back to shore

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #324 on: Apr 03, 2014, 12:33 PM »
Yeah its over guys...went to fitch yesterday around 3 and the shoreline is shot...a guy in waiters walked through the water onto the ice walked out a little bit and fell right through the ice walked one more step and fell through again....he had to roll back to the shore...
I'm sharing that story with all of my friends and family that think I'M nuts.
That's some hardcore stuff right there!
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline rondog

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hudson River Salmon
« Reply #325 on: Apr 03, 2014, 02:26 PM »
I must of been just ahead of you I saw the guy in the waders just starting to put the plank accross

Offline Pickeralpicker91

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #326 on: Apr 03, 2014, 10:57 PM »

I actually saw a guy fishing off fitch today. I'm not sure how he got out there even with waders. Probably swam out lol.

Offline IceNeck9292

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #327 on: Apr 04, 2014, 08:00 AM »
I actually saw a guy fishing off fitch today. I'm not sure how he got out there even with waders. Probably swam out lol.
Buddy texted me saying someone was outt there.... good for him!!
Cacth them by day, fillet them by night.

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #328 on: Apr 04, 2014, 02:41 PM »
I think you can still get on at the boat launch.  One corner looks like it has ice all the way up to the wall (as viewed from the bridge, not a careful inspection).

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #329 on: Apr 10, 2014, 05:19 PM »
Ice out!  The south end of the lake is free of ice.  Not sure if it all blew to the other end, but in any case it will all be gone in a day or so.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.