Author Topic: HomeMade Tipdowns  (Read 347 times)

Offline sledneck22

• IceShanty Rookie
HomeMade Tipdowns
« on: Dec 07, 2018, 07:53 AM »
A couple years ago I wanted to make my own tipdowns. I found no one had information they wanted to part ways with $$$. So I started experimenting. After a bunch of different styles I have found a set up that works pretty darn good for cheap.

I'm using my homemade base along with the $8.99 26" schooly ice rods.  They work great for crappies and perch.
Drill a 9/32 hole (or ream a 1/4" bit) about 1/2" behind where the reel attaches to the plastic handle of the schooly rod. It's almost perfect for a balance point.  Also, attach the metal rod support behind the reel instead of in from of the reel. This acts as a stop for top down going too far backwards. Predrill all your screws and nails to prevent splitting.
Slide the rod onto the 4" long 1/4-20 bolt and when you get a bite you just slide it off the bolt and set the hook. I found hand lining the fish worked best after setting the hook.

Material list per base:
2"x1" pine lumber x 8' long - $0.99
      Cuts: 2 @ 16", 2@ 17", 2 @ 2 1/2" lg
2" pine slats. - bundle for $4.99
      Cuts: 2 @ 4 1/4" lg
8- 1 1/4" lg construction screws - less than $1 (2 1/2" lg to 16" lg base)
8- 1 1/4" roofing nails (pine slats to upper frame)
2- 2 1/2" 1/4-20 bolts w/ wing nuts - less than $1
1- 4" lg (can probably use 3" lg) 1/4-20 bolt w/ fender washers and two nuts - less than $1
spray paint (not required)

So for less than $15, you can have a tip down setup, just add your lure of choice.
Let me know if you have any questions.

To fish or not to fish; there is no question.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.