The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Is Ice Fishing the Most Expensive Passtime?  (Read 1696 times)

Offline PaCarpboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Is Ice Fishing the Most Expensive Passtime?
« Reply #30 on: Jan 31, 2024, 05:44 PM »
IDK, my yacht costs aren’t too bad.   I just throw it in the back of my pickup, and other than the occasional broken oar, it stays under my yearly yacht budget.   Oh, it did fall out of the truck one time so I had to have the dents taken out which blew my budget that year. 

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #31 on: Jan 31, 2024, 06:09 PM »
Hey Unc! You gotta tackle up to come musky fishing with me  :whistle: Wait'll you see that bill for just basic stuff. Stuff other than freshwater fishing doesn't count as ice fishing is freshwater only. Tackling up for muskies is a pretty hefty bill even for neophytes. I know, you're thinking transportation: sled, ATV/UTV, shelter, electronics, etc. I'll see that and go all in.

And yes, the offer stands. If you're ever in God's Country I'd be happy to have you in the boat for a day or so!
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Ronnie D

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Jan 31, 2024, 06:10 PM »
I take it you don't  own a boat

Offline Scranton Joe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Jan 31, 2024, 06:20 PM »
IDK, my yacht costs aren’t too bad.   I just throw it in the back of my pickup, and other than the occasional broken oar, it stays under my yearly yacht budget.   Oh, it did fall out of the truck one time so I had to have the dents taken out which blew my budget that year.

Winning.

Offline krispcritter

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Jan 31, 2024, 06:52 PM »
Hey Unc! You gotta tackle up to come musky fishing with me  :whistle: Wait'll you see that bill for just basic stuff. Stuff other than freshwater fishing doesn't count as ice fishing is freshwater only. Tackling up for muskies is a pretty hefty bill even for neophytes.

I found all you need for musky is 8# test, a number 4 snelled hook, and a Rosie minnow. Act like your fishing for Perch.

To make a small fortune in business start with a Large one.,

Offline HooknSinker24

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Feb 01, 2024, 09:34 PM »
It's an inexpensive sport. Gas in the vehicle will cost more than the trip. Always goes back to what you want to spend and if you want to be a show off.

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Feb 02, 2024, 11:37 AM »
You ever see how much some people spend on cigarettes? I figure the money I spend on hunting and fishing gear pales in comparison to what a lot of folks spend on cigs................
id buy a livescope if i could quit smoking
Catch and release, into the grease!
"gotta be somebody needs some killin" ~ Major Payne

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #37 on: Feb 03, 2024, 11:28 AM »
If I added up the price of all the gear I bought over the years and had to buy it all at once it'd be quite a bit.  I'm at the point now that the only major investment left is a flip over hut which I keep putting off due to the short seasons the past few years.  The only things I've been buying have been my license, a few jigs, and live bait so for that part of it it's pretty cheap compared to hunting. 

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #38 on: Feb 03, 2024, 11:55 AM »
Yes and yes...   :woot:
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline fatty crusher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Feb 12, 2024, 06:04 PM »
If you are from northcentral, every hobby is expensive. When you are dedicated,  diehard, true born outdoorsman with the passion to not only succeed but be a master everything has a cost. Chase the ice and invest in an awesome pastime with rewards beyond belief. Well the usual 12" to 28" of yearly ice is only remembered in history books. It has been a great year for trapping, but $4k later... next has to be better for some different hobby that is not perfect for easy trapping or sufficient ice to hammer the fattys for mid Decemberto mid march. Salt is great! Take all the grains you can and learn, learn more every day, and be great at any kind of outdoor activity. Ice? Yes please give me 30" for a solid 4 months, but that is not the reality anymore. Be great at nature, but at the same time never loose hope.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.