The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Looking for ice  (Read 6496 times)

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Looking for ice
« Reply #30 on: Jan 29, 2024, 08:51 AM »
Just got back to R.I. after a quick trip to Ne Pa. Got there Thursday morning. Visited family and friends so I didn't get on the ice till around 3:00. Staying at a friends house lake Alden.  5 inches but I would say only good 4. Just jigged up a couple of bluegills, fished till dark. Talked to some friends and they fished Upper Woods and did good, 5 inches. Friday checked Prompton looked really not good, didn't even try to get on. Back to Alden did really good, 9 smallmouth, 6 largemouth, 7 pickerel and about a dozen bluegills. Saturday fished Alden again. 5 Smallmouth 1 largemouth, 5 pickerel, and a nice mess of bluegills, with a nice crappie to top it off. By then there was only 3 inches, but I got some time in. Looking to head back in mid February, Also I'm a catch and release guy.

Sounds like you had a GREAT trip back to Pa!  @)
Where's the FISH?!

Offline onlyhrdwtr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Jan 29, 2024, 06:30 PM »
My only other suggestion I have is take an 8 foot plank. That as the only way I was getting on last weekend.

Offline Captn66

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Jan 31, 2024, 11:53 AM »
Took a trip to the UP last week.  Fishing was rather slow, but did manage some pike and all & all was good to get on the hard water for what will probably be the only time this year ... despite putting up with 30 mph winds early in the week. 

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Jan 31, 2024, 01:09 PM »
My only other suggestion I have is take an 8 foot plank. That as the only way I was getting on last weekend.

I have two 8’ aluminum planks if needed. 😜
Where's the FISH?!

Offline Gfetch3914

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Jan 31, 2024, 06:53 PM »
I know it's not thick but I went by wallenpaupack today around 5pm and I would say peeking over the dike about 90% of the lake is locked up. Definitely a good sign of hope with how large it is. Will have a bunch of friends up this weekend to hit some of our lakes in Pike County. Stay safe!

Offline IceSpartan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Feb 01, 2024, 09:37 AM »
I know it's not thick but I went by wallenpaupack today around 5pm and I would say peeking over the dike about 90% of the lake is locked up. Definitely a good sign of hope with how large it is. Will have a bunch of friends up this weekend to hit some of our lakes in Pike County. Stay safe!
I’m curious, what lakes are still safe?  Anything public?

Offline Gfetch3914

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Feb 01, 2024, 05:00 PM »
Maybe RuttNutt checked Promised Land?

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Feb 01, 2024, 08:32 PM »
I’m not gonna get over there until early Saturday morning............... .
Where's the FISH?!

Offline onlyhrdwtr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Feb 03, 2024, 03:05 PM »
Hey guys
 Just checked some ponds in CT, its all done here. Heading back home, Wayne County, on the 9th for my annual 9 day fishing trip. Just hoping it will still be ok. Last year only got 4 days out of it. Got word earlier in the week that Upper Woods was getting shaky but they did good on bluegills.  Just got a call that Fiddle Lake is 5 inches but really only a good 4, really slow bite, that was today. Really want to hear any info on Prompton. Try to fish it every year on the 14th, (birthday celebration.) I have no news on Lake Alden/ Long Pond hoping to hear on it tomorrow. Whatever I hear I'll let you know. Any info on Belmont or White Oak?  Whatever info you guys have would be greatly appreciated. 
Thanks.

Offline jjp625

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Feb 04, 2024, 07:57 AM »
Was at long pond and duck harbor Wednesday . Both solid six inches . It is a different world up there . Still very much mid winter .
Belmont always first to freeze and last to go . Again …. Different world .

Offline onlyhrdwtr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Feb 04, 2024, 02:09 PM »
Sorry guys,
My contact for Lake Alden/ Long Pond is under the weather and couldn't make to check the ice. I'm still going to give it a try on the 9th.

Offline onlyhrdwtr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Feb 08, 2024, 03:13 PM »
Somehow I missed jjp625 report about Duck Harbor and Long pond (Feb 4). That sounded promising. Heading in tomorrow, should be at Long Pond around 3:00. Hoping to fish at least 9 days. Wherever there is ice on any pond. Checked the long range weather forecast seems really iffy. But I'm going to give it my best shot.  If there is any input on any ice conditions would be really appreciated.  Thanks

Offline onlyhrdwtr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #42 on: Feb 12, 2024, 03:15 PM »
Hi Guys,

Just got back to R.I. after a 9 day planned trip back to Ne.Pa., got 3 days out of it. Got in early Friday.  Stopped by Prompton on the way thru.  Guy was by the dam said really slow bite, on 2 1/2 inches. Dropped by the boat launch A guy was there only about 50 foot out, got 2 nice bass right off the bat but nothing else. I made it to Lake Alden, on the pond around 1:00, 4 inches and really slow 5 small perch. Saturday hit Prompton boat launch, really only about 3 inches, 2 small perch. Shot Up to Fiddle Lake rough getting on but good 5 out farther. But again a slow bite. Sunday was back at Prompton, ice was getting really not good, ropes and life jacket, about 2 1/2 inches, 2 perch. Calling it quits and filled my boots, went up to my thighs. All reports I got was a slow bite everywhere. Forecast said a bunch of snow coming in so I figure I'd call it. I packed up this morning, and headed east. But I have to say it was great standing on Ne.Pa water even if was only for a short time. And on top of I caught fish, so it was better than great.

Offline IceSpartan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Feb 12, 2024, 04:16 PM »
Hi Guys,

Just got back to R.I. after a 9 day planned trip back to Ne.Pa., got 3 days out of it. Got in early Friday.  Stopped by Prompton on the way thru.  Guy was by the dam said really slow bite, on 2 1/2 inches. Dropped by the boat launch A guy was there only about 50 foot out, got 2 nice bass right off the bat but nothing else. I made it to Lake Alden, on the pond around 1:00, 4 inches and really slow 5 small perch. Saturday hit Prompton boat launch, really only about 3 inches, 2 small perch. Shot Up to Fiddle Lake rough getting on but good 5 out farther. But again a slow bite. Sunday was back at Prompton, ice was getting really not good, ropes and life jacket, about 2 1/2 inches, 2 perch. Calling it quits and filled my boots, went up to my thighs. All reports I got was a slow bite everywhere. Forecast said a bunch of snow coming in so I figure I'd call it. I packed up this morning, and headed east. But I have to say it was great standing on Ne.Pa water even if was only for a short time. And on top of I caught fish, so it was better than great.
Glad you enjoyed it.  Sorry we couldn’t provide more ice.  We’ll try harder next time!  ;)2

Offline onlyhrdwtr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Feb 12, 2024, 06:22 PM »
Thanks,
Looking at the long range forecast back there. If it works out I'll give another shot in a week or two.

Everyone stay safe!

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Feb 13, 2024, 09:05 AM »
Glad you enjoyed it.  Sorry we couldn’t provide more ice.  We’ll try harder next time!  ;)2

🤣🤣🤣
Where's the FISH?!

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Feb 13, 2024, 09:11 AM »
Thanks,
Looking at the long range forecast back there. If it works out I'll give another shot in a week or two.

Everyone stay safe!

Glad you got a few days in at least! Sorry I never made it to Alden! I was leery of driving over an hour and then having to turn around and go home. Promised Land is only 30 min from me, so I went there this weekend instead.

Hopefully we will get some colder weather and will be back on the ice soon. I would like to get up to Alden and Duck if possible this year............
Where's the FISH?!

Offline onlyhrdwtr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #47 on: Feb 13, 2024, 10:35 AM »

See if it stiffens up. Maybe we can meet  to put faces to names. If you head out be safe

Offline onlyhrdwtr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Feb 13, 2024, 03:49 PM »
 Sorry, forgot to ask. How did you make out at Promised Land?

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Feb 13, 2024, 08:12 PM »
See if it stiffens up. Maybe we can meet  to put faces to names. If you head out be safe

Thanks- yes that would be cool! Always nice to put some faces to names........😁
Where's the FISH?!

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Feb 13, 2024, 08:21 PM »
Sorry, forgot to ask. How did you make out at Promised Land?

It was slow like you said, but we did ok. I got this big pickerel on a JawJacker and he put up a good fight! Ran several times when he got close to the hole. That made it worthwhile!  ;) ;D

Where's the FISH?!

Offline onlyhrdwtr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #51 on: Feb 14, 2024, 04:12 PM »
Nice fish. Probably longer than the total length of the perch I caught last weekend. I'll let you know on Alden.

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #52 on: Feb 14, 2024, 06:57 PM »
OK- thanks- appreciate it!  @)
Where's the FISH?!

Offline JMZ

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • AKA Dinkmaster
« Reply #53 on: Feb 16, 2024, 04:57 PM »
It was slow like you said, but we did ok. I got this big pickerel on a JawJacker and he put up a good fight! Ran several times when he got close to the hole. That made it worthwhile!  ;) ;D

That pickerel would win a contest! Did you throw him back?
AKA Dinkmaster

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #54 on: Feb 17, 2024, 08:21 AM »
Yes- I don’t keep pickerel. That’s actually not the biggest one I’ve caught there. Several of us have caught bigger ones there................. all went back in.
Where's the FISH?!

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #55 on: Feb 17, 2024, 02:57 PM »
well, not all  ;D

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #56 on: Feb 17, 2024, 05:00 PM »
Oh, that’s right- a couple have paid the price for their brothers/sisters stealing Spider’s jigs! 😜

They got a couple of my buddy’s jigs today and I must have had a BIG one that bit right thru my snell! I was dropping the smelled hook baited with a minnow down the hole to set my JawJacker and it hit before I even got it down to depth. I thought it either dropped it or stripped the minnow when the line went slack...............bu t I reeled up and the hook and 1/2 the snell was gone!  :o
Where's the FISH?!

Offline icehound67

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Feb 17, 2024, 06:18 PM »
There’s a pickerel at snow shanty with some new piercings, 🤬

Offline Mouth912

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #58 on: Feb 19, 2024, 11:09 AM »
  Couple private lakes up Northern wayne county had about 6 inches of ice. Hopefully we get more cold temperatures to get more ice to get out!

Offline onlyhrdwtr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #59 on: Feb 19, 2024, 03:18 PM »
Got a text from a friend around noon. He was heading to Uniondale, drove past Stillwater, said there was a ton of people on the ice. But he didn't know the conditions, just driving by.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.