Author Topic: Little buddy heater hose  (Read 1247 times)

Offline Brownbagger247

• Team IceShanty Regular
Little buddy heater hose
« on: Jan 24, 2022, 07:05 AM »
I am finally going to get a conversion hose for my little buddy heater to run a 20lb tank outside my shack. I noticed they sell the conversion hose with and without regulators and was also suggested a fuel filter. Should I use a line with a regulator? Do you run the tank all the way open? I’d assume there’s an internal regulator anyway but curious why they’re offering both lines. Should I double down haha Thanks
How's the ice they all ask? "I’ll tell you what, you can get a good look at a t-bone by sticking your head up a bull’s butt, but I’d rather take the butcher’s word for it."

Offline fatty crusher

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Little buddy heater hose
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24, 2022, 07:13 AM »
I have the hose without the regulator. It works fine for the buddy and big buddy heaters. I do use the filters though. I'm not sure if it is completely necessary, but I don't want to chance losing my investment/lifeline at times. The regulator might be a way to get a little extra money from consumers.

Offline ishoot308

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 24, 2022, 07:14 AM »
You do not need a regulator as there is one already built in the unit. As far as a filter goes, I have never used one and never had an issue. Yes open the tank all the way when using...

Edited to add: I do use the hose from Mr. Heater that supposedly does not need a filter. If your using a different brand of hose you may want to get the filter....

Dan

Offline Brownbagger247

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 24, 2022, 07:38 AM »
Thanks for the feedback. I was thinking no regulator but might run a filter to keep the unit itself clean as the tanks will be random refilled ones and not new from factory like the small tanks. Worst case I spend an extra couple bucks on an overkill of a filter. I was wondering if the lines were gimmicks for an extra dollar or they’re just over complicating things. I am sure they are engineered for a reason and the only reason I am posting is concern for safety as it is in a small area. I may just take Snitch’s advice and contact the manufacturer directly however not sure if I have my model # accessible. I was also looking at them at tractor supply.
How's the ice they all ask? "I’ll tell you what, you can get a good look at a t-bone by sticking your head up a bull’s butt, but I’d rather take the butcher’s word for it."

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #4 on: Jan 24, 2022, 07:45 AM »
This is from the Mr. Heater website...

Currently, we make three hose models that do not require a filter: the F273704 which is made from a different chemical compound of rubber that does not have the oily substance that can get into the fuel flow, the F271802 that attaches to a low-pressure line, and the F271803 which is a regulated hose. Since the F271802 & F271803 only see low pressure, the oily substances are not squeezed from the hose material

I have been using the F273704 model for many years now on 5 -20# tanks ,without a filter, and have had zero issues.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 24, 2022, 07:55 AM »
Not sure what happened with these filters, used to be $10 on Amazon now they want $40!

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Jan 24, 2022, 07:59 AM »
Which heater do you have the Lil or the Portable or the Big

also when using a bigger tank it is important to turn the tank on s l o w l y ..

this is the hose which requires no filter ... F273704

https://www.mrheater.com/10ft-buddy-series-propane-hose-assembly.html

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Nosaj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 24, 2022, 08:58 AM »
I have the mr buddy portable and bought the 10' hose so I did not have to use the filter.   I used a 5 lb tank with the 10' hose and would have problems getting it to run.  I switched to the 5' hose with the filter and it runs like a charm and I do not have all that hose to deal with. 

Offline TheCrittaC

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Set the hook!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 24, 2022, 08:58 AM »
Whatever hose you get, make sure to close the propane tank and burn off whatever propane is in the hose before you disconnect it. If you don't do that, you might have problems with the hose the next time you try to use it on a really cold day.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Jan 24, 2022, 09:08 AM »
I have the mr buddy portable and bought the 10' hose so I did not have to use the filter.   I used a 5 lb tank with the 10' hose and would have problems getting it to run.  I switched to the 5' hose with the filter and it runs like a charm and I do not have all that hose to deal with.

On a 10' hose you have to push/purge a lot of air out before it gets to the pilot .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Brownbagger247

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 24, 2022, 10:07 AM »
Which heater do you have the Lil or the Portable or the Big

also when using a bigger tank it is important to turn the tank on s l o w l y ..

this is the hose which requires no filter ... F273704

https://www.mrheater.com/10ft-buddy-series-propane-hose-assembly.html

I have the portable and upon further analysis of the graph you provided I think I am going to go with a 5lb instead of 20lb tank because it is less hours until bar time  ;D

Offline Jack1972

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 24, 2022, 01:01 PM »
I have a 5lb tank for mine, saves a bunch of room & weight in the sled versus the bigguns.

Offline Tjnedz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 24, 2022, 01:30 PM »
Just a word of caution, be careful when the rubber hoses start to age. My brother-in-law had one maybe 7 years old and with a near zero day the hose cracked, caught fire and burnt his portable down. He didn't loose any gear other than the hut, we were all out tending to our traps when my son said so casually "Dad Uncle Alan's tent is on fire". That's when we all ran to put it out. The hot dogs were really crispy that day.

Offline Gold Rush

• IceShanty Rookie
  • They don't call it a "bobhouse" for nothing...
« Reply #13 on: Jan 24, 2022, 03:51 PM »
I have used a standard hose for several years to hook a 20 lb. tank to my Buddy Heater. No regulator needed and no filter. All is good.
You can't tell which way the train went by the tracks it left behind.

Offline DConICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 25, 2022, 07:40 AM »

I had done some research on this in the past and if I recall properly, it is the quality of the hose that dictates if you need a filter or not and not the propane/tank - new/refill.  Something to do with the type of rubber or something.  If I can find what I read I'll post, but I am sure its easy to search for.

At 10 bucks it was an easy call.... at 40... a better hose may be the best option.

Good luck

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.