New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Additional public access - Limekiln  (Read 424 times)

Offline Salar4me

• IceShanty Rookie
Additional public access - Limekiln
« on: Feb 22, 2024, 07:50 AM »
I fished it last year and walked in the public campground to the boat launch - gate was closed - snowmobile trail... there was enough snow to pull the shanty the half mile or so... but it was a tough haul going back - snow softened up and mostly uphill.  Is there any other spot to venture out? 

Thanks!

Offline Lucky13

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Additional public access - Limekiln
« Reply #1 on: Feb 22, 2024, 11:53 AM »
If you look on the DEC info locator, you'll see that while ~75% of the shore is public, all the land associated with the road is private except for the roadway itself, the only road access is through the campground.  Adding the parcel map, it is possible that the roadway ROW ends at the lake, what you can see from the turnoff for the Moose River Plains, but my recollection from checking it in the summer is there is no parking there, and it is posted against it.  You could check with the town on whether you can access from the ROW, but I think you are still going to be parking up by the campground or the plains gate, and its still downhill to the lake.

Offline Salar4me

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 22, 2024, 05:08 PM »
Thanks for the response - 40 years ago, it would have been a walk in the park, now at 62 and with a spare tire or two...

Offline Lucky13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 23, 2024, 09:26 AM »
Well, there is cutting the gear to a minnow bucket and a tackle bucket, plus the auger.  Or go to 4th lake, lots of salar in there, drop the sled at the lake and then up the hill to park in the boat launch.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.