New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: looking for a ice trip in NY  (Read 1504 times)

Offline NEZ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Good fishing and safe ice
looking for a ice trip in NY
« on: Feb 07, 2024, 07:22 AM »
Hey, Several of us from PA are looking at coming to NY for a ice fishing trip.  We like to jig for panfish and throw out a few tip ups for some walleye possibly. I know the ice has been crappy this year so looking for some safe ice.  We are planning on going somewhere last weekend of the month.  Any Recommendations.
Thanks,
Nez

Offline Arkangel

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ArkAngel
Re: looking for a ice trip in NY
« Reply #1 on: Feb 07, 2024, 08:14 AM »
Nez...
My observations are 3 days old - however the (far north) country has had cold nights since then - only helping and not hurting ice conditions.

HOWEVER...it is NOT these last few days to be concerned with - it is the NEXT few days to be concerned with - with rising temps, sun and rain in all of our forecasts.

We fished LOTI (Lake of the Isles) on Wellesley Island in the St Lawrence River out of DeWolf state park launch.  Fished on 8 - 9 inches of ice.  There were machines on the ice.  We did well with the perch and set tip ups for pike...icing several pike.  With that said - Walleye would not be a target species at that location.  Eel Bay is also on Wellesley - there is good opportunity for perch and Northern there as well

Back on the Mainland and still on the St Lawrence River...and east of Alexandria Bay - there is Goose Bay & Chippewa Bay...both have parking but suggest being early as these areas are popular.  Lots of room to set up at all of these locations...these are large bays off the main river.

Bait at the Thousand Island Bait store.

Chaumont is the destination for Walleye...and yes they ARE fishing it - but would suggest extreme caution as ice thicknesses vary greatly there.

Chaumont Hardware is your bait location - and they update their FB page daily with updated ice conditions. 

There is rain and mid to upper 40s in the Friday / Saturday forecast....Sunday in the upper 30s.

I'll caution again - this is not an ice report for the weekend - as ice conditions will deteriorate.

I am electing to sit this weekend out - a big chill is coming next week that will (hopefully?) repair the damage from these rising temps/rain.

Good luck and tight lines, boys!  Fish On! :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :icefish: :icefish: :icefish:

~ArkAngel

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing it's not the fish they are after ~ Henry David Thoreau

Offline JETM

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 07, 2024, 08:43 AM »
My son and I fished on East Caroga this past Saturday- 10" of ice.   Mostly pickerel and one guy next to us caught a large mouth... Might have to skip work and head up to Canada Lake Friday ( just north of Caroga).  Good Luck- hope this helps..

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 07, 2024, 10:51 AM »
Nez...
My observations are 3 days old - however the (far north) country has had cold nights since then - only helping and not hurting ice conditions.

HOWEVER...it is NOT these last few days to be concerned with - it is the NEXT few days to be concerned with - with rising temps, sun and rain in all of our forecasts.

We fished LOTI (Lake of the Isles) on Wellesley Island in the St Lawrence River out of DeWolf state park launch.  Fished on 8 - 9 inches of ice.  There were machines on the ice.  We did well with the perch and set tip ups for pike...icing several pike.  With that said - Walleye would not be a target species at that location.  Eel Bay is also on Wellesley - there is good opportunity for perch and Northern there as well

Back on the Mainland and still on the St Lawrence River...and east of Alexandria Bay - there is Goose Bay & Chippewa Bay...both have parking but suggest being early as these areas are popular.  Lots of room to set up at all of these locations...these are large bays off the main river.

Bait at the Thousand Island Bait store.

Chaumont is the destination for Walleye...and yes they ARE fishing it - but would suggest extreme caution as ice thicknesses vary greatly there.

Chaumont Hardware is your bait location - and they update their FB page daily with updated ice conditions. 

There is rain and mid to upper 40s in the Friday / Saturday forecast....Sunday in the upper 30s.

I'll caution again - this is not an ice report for the weekend - as ice conditions will deteriorate.

I am electing to sit this weekend out - a big chill is coming next week that will (hopefully?) repair the damage from these rising temps/rain.

Good luck and tight lines, boys!  Fish On! :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :icefish: :icefish: :icefish:

~ArkAngel

Eel bay is a trek through the woods with your gear and hardly no parking proceeded with caution
If you sit around all day and do nothing your a bum, but if you sit in a boat all day or in a shanty and do nothing they call you a fisherman

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 07, 2024, 04:08 PM »
Wherent you crying last year on the Pa board? against taking a drive to find ice, glad you came to reality with that we welcome you into ny with open arms but us nyers are fairly tight lipped will be lucky to have someone tell you there panfish honey hole so you guys can go and wipe it out for a weekend check the socials there’s more ice in the adks then you think take the drive up and put in some leg work you’ll be rewarded lots of perch have parasites tho

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #5 on: Feb 07, 2024, 06:04 PM »
Nearly every lake not named Lake George or Lake Champlain in the Adirondacks has good ice now, and by the end of February those may have safe ice as well. Look at a map and pick a lake or two to target, then drive up and if you see guys fishing you know you can get on OK. As for reports, just review the recent posts on NY Reports and Conditions for the lakes you are interested in.
The Ultimate Warrior is possessed with great power from the heavens above ! Against the mighty lake trout and pike and schools of crappie, the power of the WARRIOR will always ......... PREVAIL !!!

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #6 on: Feb 07, 2024, 06:11 PM »
I don't fish for walleye, but the main walleye producer in the Adirondack area is Great Sacandaga Lake. Oneida lake to the west of where I fish, north of Syracuse off I-81 is probably the best lake to ice a walleye from, based on what I have read on this site for the last 20 years. Be warned that GSL is also known by NY'ers as the " DEAD SEA " if you don't know where to fish or what the fish are biting on. I would muscle in on the village on the ice where you see everyone else fishing on GSL, otherwise you will be SKUNKED
The Ultimate Warrior is possessed with great power from the heavens above ! Against the mighty lake trout and pike and schools of crappie, the power of the WARRIOR will always ......... PREVAIL !!!

Offline NEZ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 08, 2024, 09:53 AM »
Wherent you crying last year on the Pa board? against taking a drive to find ice, glad you came to reality with that we welcome you into ny with open arms but us nyers are fairly tight lipped will be lucky to have someone tell you there panfish honey hole so you guys can go and wipe it out for a weekend check the socials there’s more ice in the adks then you think take the drive up and put in some leg work you’ll be rewarded lots of perch have parasites tho
I do not have any issues with driving to find ice.  Went to Chaumont bay few years back and loved it.  Many times drive 2-3 hours to fish for few hours and come home.  Also not asking for any honey holes, just some ideas on lakes to go to.  I know some of the lakes down here do not have a good panfish population or are overrun with pickerel or micro gills.  Did not post this to offend anyone or pry, just asking for some ideas.  Thanks,
Nez

Offline Arkangel

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ArkAngel
« Reply #8 on: Feb 08, 2024, 12:11 PM »
...you're fine, Nez...c'mon up...!

Incidentally...your questions are EXACTLY why this forum exists in the first place. 

...plenty of room when the ice allows. 

~ArkAngel
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing it's not the fish they are after ~ Henry David Thoreau

Offline NEZ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 23, 2024, 06:47 PM »
Came up to chipawau Bay today.  2 of us caught over 120 perch in 3 hours.  All small but was nice to get out on ice.  Gonna goto goose tomorrow and maybe eel also.  Nez

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Feb 24, 2024, 07:50 PM »
Came up to chipawau Bay today.  2 of us caught over 120 perch in 3 hours.  All small but was nice to get out on ice.  Gonna goto goose tomorrow and maybe eel also.  Nez
Good job buddy

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.