Author Topic: "Pike attacking human" myths  (Read 39519 times)

Offline fishuhalik

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: "Pike attacking human" myths
« Reply #30 on: Dec 27, 2006, 02:48 AM »
i've always wanted to try dangling a finger off a dock, just barely sticking it in the water and seeing if i could get one to jump on it, just don't wanna risk the stitches!  talk about xtreme fishing!

Always wear clean underwear, cuz ya never know when the paramedics are gonna have to cut your pants off.

Offline catexecuter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Mar 10, 2017, 06:01 PM »
I was fishing on the Wisconsin river and I caught a 7 in northern on a 8 inch jointed lure. only hooked on the second half of lure.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #32 on: Mar 10, 2017, 07:12 PM »
Hmm. None of this surprises me, truth or myth.

I've fished muskies for a few decades and seen 'em take down a full grown duck with my own eyes. never a mammal or anything larger. I've witnessed numerous baby ducks disappear.

As far as humans? Well, there was a well documented tale of a State Trooper dangling a foot over the side of a canoe that got nailed. Not surprising. Muskies and their pike cousins are notorious top feeders. Anything floating or splashing on top that might be something good to eat will often end up there.

As far a small pike being "suicidal"? No question. They are  far and away the most aggressive creatures in the water. They are not alone. My biggest largemouth (24.5") was caught on a full size Bucher DepthRaider and I've caught at least 5 or 6 20+ inch bass on a 10" Suick. You tell me...

I've seen small snot rockets launch themselves at lures dangling over the side of the boat or engulfing lures before they hit the water on a lob cast. I'd believe most anything when it comes to pike.

Wholly Moley! I just realized if this thing hadn't been exhumed   it would be over 10 years old!  ::)

It's alive!!! :woot:

To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Tomasz.B

• IceShanty Rookie
  • DTF (Down to fish)
« Reply #33 on: Mar 13, 2017, 11:47 PM »
got 3 nice pike over 38 inches in one day here my video of the day out.
one attacked me and smoked me in the face
https://youtu.be/2Q5yShVMn0E

Subscribe to my youtube channel its good trust me !! :)
https://www.youtube.com/c/Burlagafishingteam

also check out my Instagram for Big Fish. ;)
https://www.instagram.com/burlagafishingteam/

Offline gorf37

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Dec 15, 2017, 11:24 PM »
My dad did a lot of float-tubing for pike.  His neoprene waders told the story, tons of bite marks from territorial pike warning him away.  He said it never felt predatory though.

I saw a pike drown a large duck this year, felt like over 10 minutes of struggle, that was something.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #35 on: Dec 16, 2017, 01:49 AM »
Since this was brought up...I almost lost my life to a pike when I was about 5-6 years old.

I was on the shoreline with my hand playing in the water...next thing I saw.  Two big eyes from the deep water staring at me.  Next thing, it did was it tried to attack me.  Big splash!!!!  My dad came over to see what the commotion was all about.  All I had to say was...it was inches away from my hand, head was as big as mine and tried to bite me.  If I was in the water, it would've gotten me.  That spot was a sand bar that quickly dropped into deep water on the Mississippi River.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline jiml

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Jan 17, 2018, 12:53 PM »
seen one eat a rocking chair one time.
We're going to need a bigger boat
"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves."
Ronald Reagan

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.