The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Whitefish Lake info please.  (Read 708 times)

Offline carpenter75

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Take your family, improve your lives.
Whitefish Lake info please.
« on: Jan 13, 2011, 03:49 PM »
I now have a timeshare at Whitefish and was wondering about the fishing in the area. I don't ski or golf but I think with the fishing in the area I should be happy with my decision. I am not tied into a time frame but I want to avoid the time between icefishing and open water. Any suggestions? Thanks

Offline Jim F

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Whitefish Lake info please.
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13, 2011, 04:54 PM »
Lots of opportunity year round near Whitefish. What do you like to fish for
and do you have a boat for open water?
Whitefish Lake has nice lake trout, many small lakes near by as well.
Get bit!

Offline Papa John

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 2011, 10:03 PM »
Gotta agree w/ JimF. Whitefish Lake may be one of the most under fished lakes in the state considering what's in there. Lots of lakers, loaded with whitefish, a few big cutts, and good northern pike. I mainly ice fish it because I spend the summers in Alaska, but really have good luck through the ice. Ice normally forms much later than surrounding lakes beacuse of the depth. Lots of boaters on the lake in the summer, but fishing is still good if you can keep away from the skiers. Like Jim said, lots od local opportunitiy. Lakes all over.

Offline carpenter75

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Take your family, improve your lives.
« Reply #3 on: Jan 14, 2011, 05:45 PM »
Thanks for the info guys, I do have a 20 foot boat and like to fish for it all! I just want to avoid going at the time of the year when the ice is not safe and the open water season. Like I said I don't ski or golf so it would kill me if when I got down there I could not fish either. Sounds like I made a good choice.

Offline Jim F

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 14, 2011, 09:27 PM »
Lakes, with very few exceptions, are open year round here, no seasons.
20 foot boat is gonna be best in WF lake, Talley (salmon cuts, bows, pike & lakers)
Flathead, and any place that has decent boat ramps. A lot of lakes here have shallow boat ramps,
tough to launch a boat that  draws some water. Little lakes, float tubes and the personal pontoons
that every one seems to have now (including myself)
Get bit!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.