Author Topic: using the garmin striker without the extra "kit"  (Read 582 times)

Offline mike1

• Team IceShanty Regular
using the garmin striker without the extra "kit"
« on: Dec 12, 2018, 06:50 PM »
the kit that garmin sells looks nice but doubles the price of the unit, and it doesn't look like it comes with the ice ducer? anybody use the striker w/o the kit? I have plenty of batteries kicking around, REALLY don't need any more, what is the difference between the standard ducer and the ice fishing one? THANKS! Mike

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: using the garmin striker without the extra "kit"
« Reply #1 on: Dec 12, 2018, 08:29 PM »
The portable does NOT come with an ice ducer, just a really nice case/battery/charger and a pretty crap rig for hanging the skimmer.  The ice ducer is smaller and cone shaped so less tangles and weighted so it automatically hangs level.  The skimmer is pretty easy to set up though.  Just buy a $0.99 piece of foam pipe insulation and some zip ties to make a float then put the transom mount on backwards and rotate it up until the cable rubs against it just right to hang level.  Or you can spend an extra $15 or so to get the transducer mount from the portable kit.
I'm a man, but I can change, If I have to, I guess.

Offline Barfnick

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 12, 2018, 09:31 PM »
i have used a Striker 4 for the last two years with the standard transducer. i just used a zip tie to hold the transducer level and it worked fine. i finally broke down half  way through last season and bought the ice transducer. Honestly, it isn't that much better. It hangs easier in the hole and seems a little more convenient, but not enough to justify the cost.

i bought a Striker 5 this fall with the ice kit and am itching to get it out on the ice, but my Striker 4 was fine and will be used by my daughter going forward.

Offline Barfnick

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 12, 2018, 09:40 PM »
Forgot to mention this, but this bag http://www.glensoutdoors.com/trophy-angler-ice-guide-square-bottom-flashers-soft-pack.html works pretty good. I just cut a piece of plywood the same size as the bottom of the bag and then mounted the Garmin mount to the plywood and it seems to work.

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 12, 2018, 09:55 PM »
And now I know what I'm replacing my awful Cabelas case with.  That's a steal at $9.99.
I'm a man, but I can change, If I have to, I guess.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.