New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS  (Read 1030179 times)

Offline afwrestler1986

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS
« Reply #5550 on: Jan 24, 2021, 01:32 PM »
Gotta say, I went to fish big bay off of Kellar rd. and that drop off is bull poop. I didn't even try to fish there with the wife and 3 kids. I don't remember it being like that the last time I fished out there.
[Img]http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png[img]

Offline oneida1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5551 on: Jan 24, 2021, 01:49 PM »
One good thing in my area most snow either blew off or got slushy and froze up

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5552 on: Jan 24, 2021, 02:00 PM »
Gotta say, I went to fish big bay off of Kellar rd. and that drop off is bull poop. I didn't even try to fish there with the wife and 3 kids. I don't remember it being like that the last time I fished out there.

call  the  west monro town  super  and complain

Offline Dsportman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5553 on: Jan 24, 2021, 02:39 PM »
Has anyone been out by grassy or dakin shoal yet? Was hoping to get out there with an atv next weekend if it’s possible

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5554 on: Jan 24, 2021, 03:11 PM »
Has anyone been out by grassy or dakin shoal yet? Was hoping to get out there with an atv next weekend if it’s possible

I did not see anyone out at either spot this weekend.

There was open water on the south side of Grassy and around Dakin yesterday. No joke, it was waves.

Offline Dsportman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5555 on: Jan 24, 2021, 03:44 PM »
Ok Thankyou very much for the reply. Good luck and tight lines!

Offline Adkrs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5556 on: Jan 24, 2021, 04:18 PM »

People are reporting that the ice is dangerous for walking in spots....I wouldn't be thinking about taking an atv out. But I'm not your mother. You do you. I'm sure there will be snowmobiles flying across out there if there aren't already.

Be safe folks.
Beer will get you through times of no ice better than ice will get you through times of no beer...

Offline DeadEyez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5557 on: Jan 24, 2021, 04:20 PM »
My buddy went out by Taft bay this afternoon.  He was on 4 inches of ice then ice went from 4 inches to 1 inch in a matter of feet. His spud popped through and he turned around took 3 steps and went through up to his armpits in at least 16 feet of water. He got out then went through again 20 feet from the first spot. Thank god he got out again and made it to shore. Gonna be a bit until the ice is a little more uniform. Be patient guys as hard as it is
NORTH SHORE ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARD

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5558 on: Jan 24, 2021, 04:26 PM »
 Sorry to hear XC 600 , wasn’t me as I went north had 1 nice LL on and opps gone 😜
  Thanks for the heads up Bruce , think I’ll come done mid week and try somewhere with spud in hand , a bud sent me some pics of some nice perch and a limit of eyes

Offline oneida1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5559 on: Jan 24, 2021, 04:41 PM »
My buddy went out by Taft bay this afternoon.  He was on 4 inches of ice then ice went from 4 inches to 1 inch in a matter of feet. His spud popped through and he turned around took 3 steps and went through up to his armpits in at least 16 feet of water. He got out then went through again 20 feet from the first spot. Thank god he got out again and made it to shore. Gonna be a bit until the ice is a little more uniform. Be patient guys as hard as it is
Thats about what i found today but stayed on top i was on 4 to 5 in and it got thin quick to about 2in

Offline drowndin dots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Kings of the pond
« Reply #5560 on: Jan 24, 2021, 05:53 PM »
Spudded my out to 16 fow on the east end, Lady Oneida was kind. Drilled one set of holes and never had to move. The Ice was uniform where I was, but I took no chances. Float suit, ice pics and a spud are highly recommended . Walking was pretty good, way better than I expected, yesterdays slush froze and a ton of snow piled up at the shore, but once you gpt past that 100 yards or so it was 50 percent glare ice. Final tally was 15 Jumbos, 3 keeper eyes and at least 20 between 13.5 and 14.5. Good for next year I suppose. 

Funny story, Before I had a single keeper eye I hooked up with a dandy for Oneida, 4 lbs Id wager. Had it on a #3 Rap that I regretfully didnt swap out the treble .... well I had the beast half way out of the hole when the hook straightened and went into the roof. I dove after her, went elbow deep, knocked my minnow bucket over, burnt my Bibs on the heater and lost the fish ::) ::) I honestly wish someone was with me, Release would have laughed so hard they would hear him on the west end  ;D

Offline Adkrs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5561 on: Jan 24, 2021, 06:09 PM »
Looks like a great day on the water! Your story about the big one got a chuckle out of me too. Definitely been there before. Always seems like all hell breaks loose when the big one is on
Beer will get you through times of no ice better than ice will get you through times of no beer...

Offline DeadEyez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5562 on: Jan 24, 2021, 06:33 PM »
😂 that’s awesome Eddie! The ol wet arm. I been there a time or 2. Glad you got out and found some biters!
NORTH SHORE ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARD

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5563 on: Jan 24, 2021, 06:45 PM »
That is some scary stuff Bobby. I am glad he is okay!

Nice fish DD.

Offline jim48jk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5564 on: Jan 24, 2021, 07:34 PM »
Took a ride to Sylvan Beach today see enclosed Pic, about 13 shanties out to around 20 ft, talked to one of the guys and the ice is 3.5 to 4 inches, marked lots of fish but little luck, will be ready in a few days with this cold can't wait

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
« Reply #5565 on: Jan 24, 2021, 08:25 PM »
Spudded my out to 16 fow on the east end, Lady Oneida was kind. Drilled one set of holes and never had to move. The Ice was uniform where I was, but I took no chances. Float suit, ice pics and a spud are highly recommended . Walking was pretty good, way better than I expected, yesterdays slush froze and a ton of snow piled up at the shore, but once you gpt past that 100 yards or so it was 50 percent glare ice. Final tally was 15 Jumbos, 3 keeper eyes and at least 20 between 13.5 and 14.5. Good for next year I suppose. 

Funny story, Before I had a single keeper eye I hooked up with a dandy for Oneida, 4 lbs Id wager. Had it on a #3 Rap that I regretfully didnt swap out the treble .... well I had the beast half way out of the hole when the hook straightened and went into the roof. I dove after her, went elbow deep, knocked my minnow bucket over, burnt my Bibs on the heater and lost the fish ::) ::) I honestly wish someone was with me, Release would have laughed so hard they would hear him on the west end  ;D

Nice catch

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5566 on: Jan 24, 2021, 08:28 PM »

Well done Eddy 🎣🕳 Sometime Eddy I’ll tell you some good ones about  release
  Tipping your minnows over losing the fish that’s funny sht but burning your bibs or shack isn’t

Online Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5567 on: Jan 25, 2021, 05:15 AM »
Nice job Ed. 
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5568 on: Jan 25, 2021, 05:57 AM »
hey eddie has to get in a little  trouble when he goes fishing!!!!  good job  tho  ,glad you had fun man

Offline Pequod1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5569 on: Jan 25, 2021, 07:44 AM »
Good story DD. Good to know this kind of stuff happens to other guys besides me  :)
Nice fish

Offline oneida1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5570 on: Jan 25, 2021, 09:02 AM »
-2 this morning at 530am. South shore

Online Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5571 on: Jan 25, 2021, 09:07 AM »
Pretty sure the person running the sylvan cams is a fisherman.. ::) ::)
 He didn’t want people to see if there’s ice out there... ;) ;D
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline fly_rodder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5572 on: Jan 25, 2021, 10:32 AM »
I can't imagine running sleds or ATVs safely out there anytime soon.  I went to Chapman on saturday afternoon to recon and it was 3" near shore and <50 yards out it was soft slushy and 1". Turned around and followed my tracks back.   Lots of cracks and wet slushy spots. 

This cold snap will be good, but it's still early ice.

Offline coast51

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5573 on: Jan 25, 2021, 11:44 AM »
Good report on Chapman, Thank you Fly_ Rodder

Offline elrodalonzo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5574 on: Jan 25, 2021, 12:22 PM »
Yeh ditto to that Chapman report good info.  Risky at best in most spots.  Personally I'm gonna give it another week things should be much better by then.  Lots of time left this winter to fish. 

Offline klauricella

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5575 on: Jan 25, 2021, 01:09 PM »
You would think people would know better but they where out of Williams yesterday on 4 wheelers and sleds. I spudded out Saturday and it was solid 4" out to east of the islands. It has been packed the last week not sure if any body has been catching anything I did ok yesterday. Hopefully by the weekend it gets a little thicker.

Kevin

Offline Fishin-Mission

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5576 on: Jan 25, 2021, 01:39 PM »
Please be careful there was a big open patch of water at the west end of the lake between the islands and the north shore.

You can see the big black spot on the satellite images https://coastwatch.glerl.noaa.gov/modis/modis.php?region=o&page=1.  It may freeze thicker there after the cold snap we are having as there is no snow on top to insulate it.

Offline jim48jk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5577 on: Jan 25, 2021, 03:03 PM »
Sent email to sylvanbeachny.com about the cameras and they are sending a technician to fix them as the email said, passing along  :) :) :)

Offline sandyfisherman534

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5578 on: Jan 25, 2021, 03:17 PM »
I am pretty new to fishing oneida. Not looking for any GPS coordinates but does anyone have any advice on good spots to park and get on the ice? and a general idea of where I might have good luck catching some walleyes? I have fished there a handful of times over the past few years. Usually in about 35 feet of water. Caught some nice jumbo perch and even a sturgeon but no luck on walleyes. Jigging with spoons and minnows, Had tip ups set with minnows at various depths.

Offline Fishin-Mission

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5579 on: Jan 25, 2021, 03:18 PM »
I will believe that when I can see Jennifer Aniston lounging on the beach or perhaps Bernie Sander sitting in a chair with his arms crossed and brown mittens on his hands.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.