Author Topic: Which side of the lake  (Read 1265 times)

Offline chuck

• IceShanty Rookie
Which side of the lake
« on: Feb 19, 2007, 10:24 PM »
I am looking at fishing a relatively small lake with many pike in the 15-30 in class.  I notice that in late summer, there are plenty of weeds along the northern and western parts of the lake.  I'm looking for input on which weedline do you concentrate on?  Would the weed edges that received most of the sunlight in the late summer and fall produce better?  I'm thinking this because that at this time of year, is this where you would mostly find feed for baitfish,therefore bringing in the pike?

Are oxygen levels getting low? 

Would shaded inlets or weedy outlets produce?

Offline azz7772

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Which side of the lake
« Reply #1 on: Feb 19, 2007, 10:32 PM »
i would cover all of them but if you can find 12 to 20 feet of water with underwater cabadge just under the surface you will want to give it a good workover cast in and around with your fav lures try trolling around and through it. the larger pike like this kind of habitat.

Offline chuck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 20, 2007, 07:57 AM »
I plan on icefishing the lake for pike.  These are just observations I made of the lake itself and wondering if it would help in deciphering the pike ice fishing mystery

Offline azz7772

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 20, 2007, 09:08 AM »
there is no mystery pick any weed bed start drilling shallow like right in the weeds and drill holes deeper and deeper start fishing a jig in one hole and use a smelt and a tip up on another and just work the holes till you start having some action then concentrate your holes around the same depth that you are catching them.

Offline deadbait dave

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ><(((((((((((((((((((((o>
« Reply #4 on: Feb 20, 2007, 06:06 PM »
northern bays or shallow flats at the north end of the lake is where the big girls will be from now until ice out when they will spawn soon after. they are fat and full of eggs right now! caught one today at 4:09 pm 39" length with a 19" girth all the way thru, weighed 20lbs even.very fat fish. only flag all day from 6am! ate a 15'' ocean herring 6" off the bottom in 10' of water.     d. b. d.     :tipup:
trout make big pike fat and happy!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.