Author Topic: Your Average Pike Day In Numbers/Flags  (Read 3213 times)

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
Your Average Pike Day In Numbers/Flags
« on: Nov 08, 2005, 07:36 PM »
How many pike do you guys usually catch per day? Tip ups or jigs? Me, I usually get 3 - 6 flags per day and will land two or three pike, and get one or two on my perch or trout jigs. Colorado pike fishing is difficult, especially through the ice? How much better do you guys do? Flags and fish landed.
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
Re: Your Average Pike Day In Numbers/Flags
« Reply #1 on: Nov 08, 2005, 09:16 PM »
Mack

Back when i used to fish tipups, I would occasionally fish for pike.  My ice fishing knowledge on pike is rudimentary at best, but we usually did ok.  An average day would have 5 or 6 flags, usually landing all but one or two.  I have had days with as many as 15 flags, and 12 fish, and also lots of days with only 1 or 2 flags and 1 or 0 fish.

I always jigged for panfish while watching the pike flags.

Offline IceTroll

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 09, 2005, 12:05 AM »
It really varies. I have had 20 fish days on Ft. Peck with every fish being over 10 lbs. I have also had zero fish days although that is very rare. Usually somewhere in between. Usually several days into my trip when I have my tipup locations tweeked a bit is when I start having the higher fish count days.
Being in the great outdoors is not a matter of life or death. Its far more important than that!

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
« Reply #3 on: Nov 09, 2005, 02:47 PM »
It really varies. I have had 20 fish days on Ft. Peck with every fish being over 10 lbs. I have also had zero fish days although that is very rare. Usually somewhere in between. Usually several days into my trip when I have my tipup locations tweeked a bit is when I start having the higher fish count days.

Fort Peck is awesome. I need to visit it.
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Offline killitandgrillit

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Drilling and Grilling!
« Reply #4 on: Nov 09, 2005, 03:21 PM »
I'd say for pike, we average about 10 flags per man, almost every day we go out. However, real size is rare- 26-28" is about average.

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found,because I suspect that men are going along this way for the last time, and I  don't want to waste the trip; maybe one day I will catch a mermaid; and finally, not because I regard fishing as being so terribly important, but because I suspect that so m

Offline Auger

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Chicks dig blaze orange!
« Reply #5 on: Nov 09, 2005, 03:28 PM »
I would say that an average day nets 4 pike out of 6-7 flags.  I've had days that are much better and I've gotten skunked more the a few times too.  I usually put out 3 tip-ups to begin with.  If the action is hot I'll pull a tip-up and start jigging.  I prefer to fight them on the rod and reel.
High Chancellor of WIRC and Provost of Potent Potable Procurement .

Seattle Seven Member #000003

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #6 on: Nov 09, 2005, 07:45 PM »
Man Ice Troll,  Ft. Peck sounds great! :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :P

We usually get around 20 flags between 3 guys with 6 rigs.  Sometimes Egg-O...  Depends on Mother Nature and her sick idea of cold. :-[
TEAM ALASKA

Offline vancouvercanuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Nov 09, 2005, 11:37 PM »
I'll go with four of us icefishing usually starting at around 7 a.m. and finishing around 4 p.m.

Slow day would be four or five Pike.

Good day would be over the 15 mark easy.

Offline Blaine

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 10, 2005, 06:57 AM »
We are allowed 6 lines here in CT. I will usually see 3 pike in a day, most are between 33 and 40"

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
« Reply #9 on: Nov 12, 2005, 05:10 AM »
I FISH CONESUS LAKE IN WESTERN NEW YORK IN FRONT OF MY BUDDIES HOUSE.  WE AVERAGE 3 PIKE A TRIP AND THEY AVERAGED 31" FOR US LAST YEAR.  WE USUALLY GET ANYWHERE FROM 3-6 FLAGS A TRIP. WE ALSO CAUGHT A COUPLE OF SMALL TIGER MUSKIES 25"-32".  THIS WAS THE FIRST YEAR WE HAVE FISHED THIS LAKE AND WE DID RATHER WELL.  MY FIRST DAY EVER FISHING THIS LAKE I ICED A 41" NORTHERN.  I HAVE ONLY FISHED THE NORTH END OF THE LAKE TWICE WITH LITTLE LUCK.  WE MANAGED THREE TIGER MUSKIES IN THE TWO TRIPS COMBINED.

Offline IceTroll

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 12, 2005, 05:23 AM »
You can say that again Barleydog. Thats why I drive the 400 miles every year for 10 years in a row now. If we dont start seeing some weather out west though, this year might be a bust. I worked last night and at 11:30 PM it was 63 degrees in central Wyoming at 5282 feet of elevation on the 10th of November. I dont think its been any colder in Montana either. Kinda depressing when you are a cold weather fan.
Being in the great outdoors is not a matter of life or death. Its far more important than that!

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • almost 22" cuttbow, took 6 minutes to land
« Reply #11 on: Nov 13, 2005, 02:27 PM »
My numbers based on my 2 lines allowed seem to be around every one elses in the same ratio, in a certain lake anyway. Have 1 tipup out jig one rod for perch usually land 3 pike per day. Vary in size from 12-30" so far.
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

Offline fishuhalik

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Nov 14, 2005, 09:31 AM »
Back home in northern MN, I use to set out as many tipups as legally possible and watch 'em out the windows of my parents house while I sat on the lazboy and watched tv.  That was some of the best pike fishing I ever had.  The best day I think I had about 45 flags and caught about 30-35 pike.  I barely went inside that day. The biggest I got was 42 1/2".  They usually averaged pretty small, about 2lbs, but we'd get one 5-6lber for every 5 flags.  I took my wife up to visit my parents last winter and I did this, and she said I was cheating.

Always wear clean underwear, cuz ya never know when the paramedics are gonna have to cut your pants off.

Offline APU GARCIA

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Saskatchewan
« Reply #13 on: Nov 15, 2005, 09:21 AM »
I have had up to 25 - 30 flags in a day, on average I would say about 15 depending on the body of water I'm fishing. The most I've holed was 18 but all small around the 25" to 30" range. Time to start getting in shape so I can run for them flags :tipup:

APU
MY NAME IS APU, HOW DO YOU DO, NOW YOU GUNNA DIE!!!!!!

Offline northdease

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Pike Hunter
« Reply #14 on: Nov 15, 2005, 09:22 AM »
for me all i fish for is pike so i think it depends on mother nature and where i am fishing, i have had days where i couldnt even drink 3 beers because we were running all over chasing flags all day and then you have days when nobody was hungry except for the hammer handles which i might add love to spool your line. as far as landing fish since i started making my own quick strike rigs i probably land 8-9 out of every 10 fish.

Offline Haywood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Nov 15, 2005, 09:42 AM »
We keep a log in our fish house.  Last Christmas, on 6 tip-ups, we pulled 24 pike in 4 hours, (by far, our record) 3 going over 12#, kept 2.  Next day, same exact spot, we caught 2 on 4 tip-ups in 5 hours, a 3# and 4#.  The average daily catch, up to Christmas was around 6 fish on both 4 and 6 tip set-ups. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.