New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Great Sacandaga Lake (BS)  (Read 220046 times)

Offline Pike Paralyzer

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Great Sacandaga Lake (BS)
« Reply #690 on: Mar 06, 2018, 05:20 AM »
Our day was interesting to say the least.  At 5:30am on Saturday we were up to our knees in water 5 ft off shore on the broadalbin side.  Decided to turn around load up and went off wally's beach.  I found blazing my own trail down the beach a ways proved successful as many machines went in the drink.  We pulled a brand new Honda Pioneer 1000 out with two of our four wheelers and then a sled over by grandview.  To the people that set up in my lone blazed trail i'm sorry you got wet everytime i drove by, but i didn't make the trail for you and I wasn't slowing down.
Sometimes ya gotta push the sheep through the fence

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #691 on: Mar 06, 2018, 06:22 AM »
I have asked for a same thing for the walleyes. Nothing under 20 inches to be brought in. In years past when there is good ice and big turn out, I couldn't believe the small walleyes that people were bringing in. Some years this contest can do more harm to the lake than the WC. I am glad he changed the rules on the pike for next year; it is a start....h2l
Northville, NY

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #692 on: Mar 06, 2018, 06:31 AM »
Pike:
46 3/4
41 3/4
41 1/2
41 1/4
40 3/4

Walleye:
25 3/4
24 1/2
23 1/4
21 1/2
20 7/8
20 3/4

Next year 36" and under pike are to be let go and not entered.

Some girl came out of Wally's and told me that that was in effect already, but Lou took it form me, measured it, put it on the board and gave me the gift certificate.

Offline Pike Paralyzer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #693 on: Mar 06, 2018, 05:59 PM »
I think they implemented it once a few decent ones were entered.
Sometimes ya gotta push the sheep through the fence

Offline JTrottaNY

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • NYS Licensed Guide
« Reply #694 on: Mar 08, 2018, 04:37 AM »
I know part of the excitement is running over to enter your fish but personally I like it when the tournament has a phone line you can check the smallest size on the board and throw back anything short....
NYS Licensed Guide

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #695 on: Mar 08, 2018, 06:25 AM »
Honestly with the results every year for what it takes to be top 3 for pike in the Sacandaga tournament, it would be nice to see that all fish 40” and under can not be entered/ released. SacandAga is far from a “trophy” lake, with the exception of the big pike population... start taking away that big pike population, and then what is sacandaga good for besides a boat load of short walleye?

Offline Iceman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #696 on: Mar 08, 2018, 09:49 AM »
With the popularity of ice fishing some of the smaller ponds and lakes are taking a big hit to the fishery. Mayfield, Mountian, West all show the results of over fishing. Establishing "minimum lengths" on fish in a tournament is a huge start and I like the live fish weigh in option too. For lakes that are not very fertile like the GSL catch and release tournaments like the Walleye Challenge help the fish out a lot. However,  BASS has proved that not all fish released make it, but its better than harvesting all fish regardless of size. Then again, walleye are one of the best to eat so hopefully all legal fish caught made it to the dinner table. Managing fisheries is tough but by setting standards for minimum fish size in derbies can help.

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #697 on: Mar 08, 2018, 09:59 AM »
They really need to change ny state regulations . Other states have much stricter regulation and much better fishing. They need cut down the lines allowed to 2-3 lines max

Offline eyehi

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #698 on: Mar 08, 2018, 10:37 AM »
start taking away that big pike population, and then what is sacandaga good for besides a boat load of short walleye?

maybe those walleye will become trophy size with less pike ..... seems to work that way on the st Lawrence river ... just a thought ....
Budweiser pro staff

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #699 on: Mar 08, 2018, 11:27 AM »
I keep a boat on the Gsl in the summer I can’t mmonster eyes off the dock every weekend when the sun goes down right at my boat slip.( also a lot of smaller 12 14 inch fish. ). I’ve ice fished the lake a bunch of times and only came up with pile and a couple dinky eyes. Not sure what’s up with that.

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #700 on: Mar 08, 2018, 01:47 PM »
maybe those walleye will become trophy size with less pike ..... seems to work that way on the st Lawrence river ... just a thought ....

ehhh I doubt it.

Offline o2rmk800

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #701 on: Mar 12, 2018, 08:27 PM »
You honestly think Lou only pays back $4000? What about all of the door prizes he gives away? What about the “free” pig roast he usually does? At the end of the day I would be willing to bet he hopes to break even...... JMO

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #702 on: Mar 13, 2018, 03:16 AM »
I agree with 02, I don't think Lou is making a lot of profit with this ONE weekend event. Some of those guys that are catching large pike are doing it most of the season and releasing them. Keeping a few on one weekend is not hurting the lakes pike fishing. It's has more to do with people thinking that a 30" pike is a money fish...Just my .02...h2l
Northville, NY

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #703 on: Mar 13, 2018, 08:32 AM »
I dont think he would put that much effort into getting everything together if he wasn’t making a buck on it. At the end of the day he’s running a business.

Offline o2rmk800

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #704 on: Mar 13, 2018, 08:46 AM »
correct, he is running a business, what's that have to do with the tournament? still willing to bet at the end of the day he is barely breaking even. if anyone should have concerns maybe call Lou and express them to him instead of on the internet.......

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #705 on: Mar 13, 2018, 09:00 AM »
Running the tournaments is part of his business. He’s probably making more money then you think. Also probably using donations as business right offs. Plus all be business brought into the store the day of the tournament.  I didn’t say anything is wrong with it nor did I say I had any issues with it. I don’t think he would keep doing it year after year if he wasn’t making money off it

Offline Eagle Ed

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • [img]http://i58tinypic.com/2n/c5jc.png[/img]
« Reply #706 on: Mar 13, 2018, 09:10 AM »
What's wrong with a guy making a profit on his tournament/business.  Lou has some great prizes, good food and plenty of happy fishermen at the end of the day.  Entry fee is reasonable with a fun day for those willing to enjoy the fishing.

Eagle Ed

Offline ADK Tank

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #707 on: Mar 13, 2018, 12:02 PM »
There's no reason to not have a live weigh in option for pike there.  It's shameful to kill so many fish there for the chance to win a minimal amount of money.  They are long lived fish, it has a negative effect on an otherwise relatively low pressure fishery.  Pretty much every other pike derby in New York is mandatory live weigh in and release.
Also, it appears that at $25 a person and nearly 1,000 participants, they collect roughly $25,000 for this tournament.  The pay outs for the tournament are less than $4000 total.  The boat was donated by a local shop. Do the profits of the Food N Fuel tournament go to charity?

What shop donated the boat? Alpin Haus sells that boat new for around $15-16K. I don't think there is any shop that is going to donate that kind of money to a fishing tournament but please let us know who donated it so we can patronize that business. Did Alpin Haus give it to him for cost, maybe. A lot of the other door prizes are whatever ice fishing equipment he has in stock at the end of the year plus some items he buys. If he does make money from the tournament itself I bet it's not much and the reason he does it year after year is becuase he is a good business man that realizes doing these extra things in the community turns into money spent at his store, which has a full parking lot most of it's open hours.

It gets old year after year to hear people complain about this contest and the Walleye Challenge that he started and runs for the chamber of commerce. If you don't like the way they are run, simple don't enter them. There are over 1,000 people each year who have no problem putting their money up. Lou works his tail off and does a ton for the local community, not just fishing contest so don't think he is scamming unsuspecting fishermen out of their money.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #708 on: Mar 13, 2018, 12:27 PM »
What's wrong with a guy making a profit on his tournament/business.  Lou has some great prizes, good food and plenty of happy fishermen at the end of the day.  Entry fee is reasonable with a fun day for those willing to enjoy the fishing.

Eagle Ed

Great point.  God forbid someone pay to keep the lights on. 

Offline ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #709 on: Mar 13, 2018, 01:09 PM »
Pretty simple, in lieu of taking to the internet with negativity, perhaps you can have a silent protest and not partake in the event

Offline Garufi518

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #710 on: Mar 13, 2018, 01:39 PM »
Pretty simple, in lieu of taking to the internet with negativity, perhaps you can have a silent protest and not partake in the event
Solid well thought out positive outcome 👍

Offline o2rmk800

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #711 on: Mar 13, 2018, 01:51 PM »
What shop donated the boat? Alpin Haus sells that boat new for around $15-16K. I don't think there is any shop that is going to donate that kind of money to a fishing tournament but please let us know who donated it so we can patronize that business. Did Alpin Haus give it to him for cost, maybe. A lot of the other door prizes are whatever ice fishing equipment he has in stock at the end of the year plus some items he buys. If he does make money from the tournament itself I bet it's not much and the reason he does it year after year is becuase he is a good business man that realizes doing these extra things in the community turns into money spent at his store, which has a full parking lot most of it's open hours.

It gets old year after year to hear people complain about this contest and the Walleye Challenge that he started and runs for the chamber of commerce. If you don't like the way they are run, simple don't enter them. There are over 1,000 people each year who have no problem putting their money up. Lou works his tail off and does a ton for the local community, not just fishing contest so don't think he is scamming unsuspecting fishermen out of their money.
[/quote/]

couldn't agree with this more........

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #712 on: Mar 13, 2018, 03:21 PM »
What would ice shanty be, without people complaining about something ??

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #713 on: Mar 13, 2018, 03:45 PM »
What would ice shanty be, without people complaining about something ??

This is also true. 

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #714 on: Mar 13, 2018, 04:05 PM »
I could care less what they do with the money. Food n fuel is great. I always stop for beer, snacks, ice. I keep my boat at a marina a mile or so away. They also have really cheap propane . It’s like 8 bucks for a 20lb refill.

Offline Brucebob7

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #715 on: Mar 13, 2018, 04:46 PM »
Yes But they Charge 3 dollars for a Dozen Fat heads Crazy Prices lol

Offline LastCast69

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #716 on: Mar 13, 2018, 06:26 PM »
Not knocking the tournament itself.  I'm sure it is a great time.  I fish several a year that are always a blast.  However, the idea of a person profiting from exploiting a public resource rubs me wrong.  By promoting an event, every year, where over 1,000 people (that wouldn't otherwise not be fishing this lake) keep and kill most fish caught to weigh in so they are eligible to win a little cash, doesn't seem the best move for the fishery.  Especially pike, which are in a pre spawn phase this time of year, and are long lived fish. Many of these 20+ lb pike are 15- over 20 years old, it takes a lot of time to grow trophies.  It seems there is no reason to not establish a live weigh in system, to help mitigate some of the damage caused.  The Cranberry derby is a mandatory live weigh in, mandatory release, pays out $600 AN HOUR, and is only one day  long, with a similarly priced entry fee.  My personal feeling is that the Food and Fuel tournament could pay out more but more importantly be held in a more environmentally responsible manner. 

Offline ADK Tank

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #717 on: Mar 14, 2018, 07:22 AM »
So you are against all commercial fishing? You don't buy any fish or seafood from a store or a restaurant since these businesses directly make a profit from exploiting a public resource?

Sounds like you don't even fish this contest, have you ever and have you ever been to the giveaways at the store on Sunday? If not than to comment on how much he spends or makes on this contest has no basis. To say this contest brings in 1000 people that normally don't fish this lake shows you aren't in touch with what is going on with it. Have you drove down Lakeside Drive in Mayfield near the farm and looked out across the lake? My guess is you can see 60+ hardside shanties that are there season long, ice conditions permitting. That is in one location on a very large lake. Sure do some people show up and fish just because of the contest that weekend, yes but the vast majority of the participants fish this lake multiple times if not every weekend through the season. What you also don't realize is many of the pike are released, it's not mandated that they be dead and in years past when called Lou will ride out to the location of a fisherman to measure a fish so it can be released right there. The big ones that are kept are usually a fish of a lifetime for a person and end up on their wall, which is their legal right. For the Walleye Challenge (which pays out around $1600 an hour plus gives away a side by side, fourwheeler, and snowmachine) that Lou started it is a mandatory live weigh in and release but even in these cases how many of these fish actually survive after the being transported in questionable methods and released? Or doesn't it matter because it makes you feel good about it.

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #718 on: Mar 14, 2018, 09:03 AM »
I watched. some drone footage of the tournament and the lake had a ton of people on it. Like a stupid amount.  If you go out on a normal weekend it’s nothing like that. I would say it brings in a lot of people who normally don’t fish the lake. It should be a live release tournament. If you cant respect the lake enough to transport a fish and keep it alive in a cooler then don’t enter the competition. It also keeps people honest. People will Drill live wells and fish a few days ahead and can just turn the dead fish in the day of the tournament.

Offline hunt4perch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #719 on: Mar 14, 2018, 04:11 PM »
Walleye  - Fulton County Challenge
On Feb. 24, ECOs Scott Pierce and Jason Hilliard were on patrol at the annual Walleye Challenge Ice Fishing Tournament on the Great Sacandaga Lake in Fulton County when the officers came upon an ice shanty and two fishermen. A small opening in the ice had been dug next to the shanty to form a livewell, and a number of walleye and perch were stored there. Some fish were alive and others were not. ECO Pierce counted 13 walleye in the pool of water, which put the two fishermen over the daily limit of walleye. The fishermen said they were going to release the extra walleye after the tournament. ECOs Pierce Hilliard asked the fishermen to release the five live walleye back to the lake. The fishermen were charged with taking and possessing in excess of the daily limit of walleye.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.