Author Topic: Whiteswan Lake ( Whelan Bay )  (Read 5124 times)

Offline shawno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Team Saskatchewan
Whiteswan Lake ( Whelan Bay )
« on: Jan 10, 2019, 11:47 AM »
I'm looking for some information on this lake.  More specifically, a bathymetric map.  I cannot seem to locate one.  I was hoping maybe that someone could PM me.  I have a couple of questions about the lake, depth to look for trout this time of year, etc.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Offline farmboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Whiteswan Lake ( Whelan Bay )
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2019, 12:51 PM »
PM sent shawno

Offline Seige

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2019, 05:40 PM »
I was up there over the break and it was really slow only 6 trout in 4 days. Generally try between 50-60’ of water.

Offline shawno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Team Saskatchewan
« Reply #3 on: Jan 10, 2019, 07:23 PM »
Thanks for info Seige. Were they a decent size at least?  More interested in a change of scenery than anything.

Offline Seige

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 11, 2019, 09:51 AM »
Couple were 3-4 pounds but the rest were small.

Offline saskbucks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 11, 2019, 10:48 AM »
That's a good sign that you're catching small ones.  That means they are reproducing.
Get outside.  It does a body and mind good!

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #6 on: Jan 11, 2019, 12:36 PM »
Hi Shawno,

If you google Sask. Bathymetric maps, it should turn up, Angler's Map of Saskatchewan - Google My Maps.
Just click on that and you will find an older, but still useful, depth map for Whelan Bay at Whiteswan Lake, as well as many other SK. lakes. :)

I have never tried for lake trout through the ice yet, but, heard of folks using white tube jigs, white grubs and flashy spoons when fishing for lakers. I have also heard of using smelts for lake trout on dead stick rods, in the same set-up you would use for pike or burbot.

I have heard that the main diet of the lake trout in Whiteswan Lake is the freshwater shrimp, so maybe whole or chunks of raw shrimp may work also.

WW
Looking for that BIG BITE!

Offline shawno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Team Saskatchewan
« Reply #7 on: Jan 11, 2019, 01:25 PM »
Thanks everyone for the info!  I'll write up a report when I get back. I'm planning on heading up there on the 26th and 27th of January.

Cheers! 

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 11, 2019, 01:30 PM »
When the queen is in the province she requests trout from whiteswan for supper. 

Offline Seige

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 11, 2019, 05:17 PM »
Yep she does! Years ago I bought a sweatshirt from the lodge that said “Trout fit for a queen” on it.
White tubes do work but I’ve caught a lot of trout on a chartreuse jig with a minnow.  I would even try a green jig with the hair on it, that’s what my son was getting them on over the Xmas break.

Offline dkruks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 11, 2019, 07:33 PM »
We need to keep this thread going!!! Lake Trout is on my bucket list for species... my brother and I went to white swan for a day last fall, but the weather was too rough to get on the lake so we went to Piprell and caught some little trout... I dream of getting back to try through the ice if nothing else just to be able to see 30-40 feet down... 

Offline shawno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Team Saskatchewan
« Reply #11 on: Jan 11, 2019, 08:32 PM »
I agree dkruks!

I was there many years ago and I recall seeing a hooked trout 30-40 feet below the hole. It’s memories like that that having me wanting to go back!  I will definitely post when I get back. If nothing else it should be a fun time. Sounds like jpicks is going to make the trip up as well.  Too bad we didn’t have more trout lakes closer to us here in S’toon. I would definitely target them more often. I know years ago Diefenbaker had Lake Trout (70’s),but some say the have been able to successfully reproduce and are present still. 

Offline dkruks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 11, 2019, 08:45 PM »
Don’t forget to mark your coordinates if you catch some... then pm me a how to video and a map with a giant “X” on it!

Offline SaskWatch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 24, 2019, 04:45 PM »
We need to keep this thread going!!! Lake Trout is on my bucket list for species... my brother and I went to white swan for a day last fall, but the weather was too rough to get on the lake so we went to Piprell and caught some little trout... I dream of getting back to try through the ice if nothing else just to be able to see 30-40 feet down...

I have a cabin there. If you are in a dark shack you can see your hook a long ways down. We were fishing 64ft ams could see a white tube jig on bottom. That same day we had a school of trout come in suspended 15ft below the ice. We were all standing up staring down the holes and sight fishing. Could watch them turn and swipe at your hook. It was the most intense lake trout fishing I've ever had!

Offline SaskWatch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 24, 2019, 04:48 PM »
That's a good sign that you're catching small ones.  That means they are reproducing.

I dont think there is any natural reproduction in that lake. The trout are milked every fall. Eggs and milt taken to the fish hatchery then they release a bunch of fry back into whiteswan ams other lakes.

Offline canada

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 24, 2019, 05:35 PM »
fishing there with a flasher is awesome  have caught then in 20 fow all through the winter

Offline saskbucks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 25, 2019, 11:00 AM »
I dont think there is any natural reproduction in that lake. The trout are milked every fall. Eggs and milt taken to the fish hatchery then they release a bunch of fry back into whiteswan ams other lakes.

I did not know that.  Too bad they don't naturally reproduce. 
Get outside.  It does a body and mind good!

Offline jackhammer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 25, 2019, 12:44 PM »
There is natural reproduction in Whiteswan for lake trout. That’s why they close the lake in September for spawning purposes. They also take the eggs from the trout every second year.

Offline Seige

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 25, 2019, 01:26 PM »
There is natural reproduction in Whiteswan for lake trout. That’s why they close the lake in September for spawning purposes. They also take the eggs from the trout every second year.

Agreed

Offline brownfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 25, 2019, 03:23 PM »

Agreed

This is true.

The trout are spawned every second year mainly to produce splake. The only reason lake trout are stocked back into Whiteswan is to offset for the eggs taken. There is enough natural reproduction in the lake to sustain the fishery and the additional stocking is only done to offset any impacts collecting eggs for splake may have.

Offline shootsmcgee

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 25, 2019, 09:26 PM »
Whiteswan is as slow as its ever been lately. A guy can put in some serious hours and not pull a trout out. Put a few more miles on and hammer them at La Plonge
well if you were me then i'd be you and i really wouldn't know what the hell I was talking about...

Offline SaskWatch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 07, 2019, 08:21 AM »
Ok. I was wrong about the natural reproduction. Talked to my friend with sask environment and he confirmed there is indeed natural reproduction.
He also said to keep an eye out for tagged fish. I guess there is a study going on. I haven't been up there this winter and maybe there are signs posted informing people of this. But as a cabin owner it's the first I've heard of it

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.