Author Topic: heavy trucks  (Read 2153 times)

Offline fishjn

• IceShanty Rookie
heavy trucks
« on: Dec 26, 2009, 03:52 PM »
anyone driving on lml with heavy trucks?by heavy I mean diesels.not to sure if 12"is enough.

Offline northernmaine

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: heavy trucks
« Reply #1 on: Dec 26, 2009, 04:01 PM »
I won't drive my pickup on less than 24", and thats if someone has been there before me. I'm not chancing anything!

Offline MeadowPikeman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Friends don't let friends fish without tip ups.
« Reply #2 on: Dec 26, 2009, 04:14 PM »
every size up here we have 20-24" of ice
Ketchin dem Logs enough to build a house!!

Offline Pants

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Take a kid fishing and share our sport!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 26, 2009, 04:33 PM »
There were a few 2500's and F-350 trucks out on the lake today...we left ours on shore.  We won't drive out without at least a good 18-20 inches of ice.  We were out in front of Alice (~14 inches of ice) and then moved over to Wee-Too (~18 inches).  The ice was cracking and popping when the 1/2 ton trucks were driving around.  Not talking little wave noise, we are talking "bang" and the ice under our portable hut cracks...some guy that was probably half cut driving his F-150 6ft from our shack and doing around 60 Km/h.
Teach your children, but never be afraid to let them teach you

Offline fishjn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 26, 2009, 04:36 PM »
There were a few 2500's and F-350 trucks out on the lake today...we left ours on shore.  We won't drive out without at least a good 18-20 inches of ice.  We were out in front of Alice (~14 inches of ice) and then moved over to Wee-Too (~18 inches).  The ice was cracking and popping when the 1/2 ton trucks were driving around.  Not talking little wave noise, we are talking "bang" and the ice under our portable hut cracks...some guy that was probably half cut driving his F-150 6ft from our shack and doing around 60 Km/h.
how was the fishing up that way?

Offline Pants

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 27, 2009, 10:23 AM »
Fishing was SLOW...we can usually find a few pike around Alice, but not lately.  Nothing biting.

Offline eyefriendly

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • They're down there somewhere!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 27, 2009, 11:30 AM »
I've heard that it is a good thing to hear the ice "bang", this means that the ice is very hard. I've also heard that silent ice at first ice is not a good thing.
Golf is for people that don't know how to fish.

MikeMiller

« Reply #7 on: Dec 27, 2009, 02:58 PM »
i was told that also its better to here it cracking and banging then it not cracking and banging  i heard it not sure if its true or not

Offline BlindIce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 27, 2009, 03:23 PM »
It sure is better to hear the ice cracking. water expands when it freezes so there for you get the cracking. When you are driving and hear lots of cracking alot of that is from the weight of the truck pushing the ice down a little bit releasing pressure from the ice expanding.

Offline Pants

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 27, 2009, 08:12 PM »
I've heard that it is a good thing to hear the ice "bang", this means that the ice is very hard. I've also heard that silent ice at first ice is not a good thing.
You are right about the bang being healthy, and it does indeed mean the ice is strong.  Natural expansion of the water as it crystalises will cause pressure cracks to be formed...all good! 

The problem is when the ice is thick enough to support the weight of the truck, but not the hydraulic pressure ridges created by the waves that form when the truck compresses the water under the ice creating unnatural pressures.

But I am starting to ramble off into a physics lesson...sorry for the rant. 

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
« Reply #10 on: Dec 27, 2009, 08:15 PM »
i was told that also its better to here it cracking and banging then it not cracking and banging  i heard it not sure if its true or not
heavy trucks will make a wake similar to a boat in soft water? didnt stay at a holiday inn express
mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline aceinthehole

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 28, 2009, 12:43 AM »
Was out at Broderick on friday,the ice is 16 inch's thick.Pulled the shack on with a 3/4 ton diesel,and there is lot's of ice!!Theirs probably 20 shacks on already,and trucks driving everyhwere.

Offline heiz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 29, 2009, 01:11 PM »
was out on long lk we drove from collingwood down to sarnia no trouble 14 in of ice u just cant go flying up the lake because that will create a wave under the ice ansd thats how people break through

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.