The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Old model 30 jiffy auger  (Read 17012 times)

Offline mjcjr1

• IceShanty Rookie
Old model 30 jiffy auger
« on: Jan 19, 2015, 05:15 PM »
I found this article when I was looking up my spark plug replacement for an older model Jiffy 30 with the 3hp Tecumseh. I've own this for 20 years and not sure I should try to improve on what is not broken. I cant kill this thing. For 20 years I've change plugs as required, started using stabilizer when the ethanol came out and had zero issues...it just keeps running. I'm thinking the original 24 to 1 ratio has something to do with it. what would you do?

"I've done some research this year and here's some interesting info for those that still run the "old" Model 30 Jiffy augers with the 3hp Tecumseh engine:
 It states on my Auger and in my owners manual (which is 25 years old) that the fuel mixture should be 24:1.
 It also states in my owners manual that the spark plug should be a Champion RJ17LM (which crosses to an Autolite 456).
 Here's where it gets interesting.
 Tecumseh changed their recommended gas/oil mix specification to 40:1 (using synthetic 2 cycle oil) for the 3hp 2 cycle engine several years ago due to the technological advances in synthetic 2 cycle oil over the last 10 to 20 years.
 The change in fuel mixture also prompted them to specify a different spark plug. The "new" specified spark plug (while running the 40:1 fuel mixture) is an Autolite 255.
 The Autolite 255 is a "cooler" plug and also doesn't have the built in resistor feature of the Champion RJ17LM. The resistor was intended to reduce noise interference issues with electronics and is still a requirement in Canada. With the absence of the resistor in the Autolite 255 plug, the plug will produce a better spark which translates to better starting and better performance.
 I have recently changed my mixture and my plug in my Jiffy. This change has made noticeable improvements in starting and overall operation, including better idling and less "bogging down" while drilling. (And I thought my Jiffy was running good before the change)."

Offline V Menzone

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Old model 30 jiffy auger
« Reply #1 on: Jan 19, 2015, 05:29 PM »
I started using 50-1 about 5 years ago when I didn't feel like making a 24-1 mix. Auger still runs fine, the article is right about the synthetic oil and technology.

Offline xjma

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 19, 2015, 07:09 PM »
Been running 50/1 in my model 30 since I bought it used 5 or so years ago.  The thing just works, period.  When it doesn't work, it's out of gas.

Offline Doubles Shooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 20, 2015, 04:46 AM »
I've been using Opti-2 synthetic oil at 100:1 in my 28 year old Jiffy for 10 years without a problem.

Offline mccabedoug

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 20, 2015, 12:59 PM »
My Jiffy Model 30 was purchased in 1991 and runs better than it did when it was new. I'm NOT a small engine repair guy. I few years ago it was giving me problems. Turns out it was a few things including old/bad gas and poorly adjusted jets. It idled rough and struggled to smoothly reach high speed.

I ran Sea Foam through it and switched over to mixing with Opti-2. I can now use that single gas/oil mix for not only my ice auger but for my weed wacker as well. I no longer have to worry about different mix ratios for different engines. One mix fits all. Less smoke, too.

Here's one of the many Model 30 threads that helped me really make my auger sing:

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=41368.0

The jet adjustment description on page 1 along with cleaning out old gas made the difference:

Close both jets GENTLY

Open the Low speed jet 1/4 turn (on left)

Open High speed jet 1 1/4 turn (on right)

Start engine

Adjust low speed until idling smoothly

Open her up wide open (full throttle)

Adjust High speed jet until engine transitions smoothly from idle to high speed without bogging

Shut engine off, let it cool

Once engine is cold, fire it up and let it idle for 30 sec. Open it up wide open again. Adjust if necessary.

The trick with the Jiffy's is to tune them during cold (ice fishing) weather.

My 30+ year old auger also starts after 1 - 3 pulls every time.

Offline ALMA0930

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 20, 2015, 02:41 PM »
now try running some good fuel in it,,,,,http://www.vp-sef.com/

Offline mjcjr1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 22, 2015, 12:04 PM »
Thanks for all the feedback guys, very helpful.

Mike C

Offline flaggs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Old School!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 22, 2015, 08:32 PM »
Yup. that's 'across the board' for makes and models - baseline.

good job mac.

Flaggs!

My Jiffy Model 30 was purchased in 1991 and runs better than it did when it was new. I'm NOT a small engine repair guy. I few years ago it was giving me problems. Turns out it was a few things including old/bad gas and poorly adjusted jets. It idled rough and struggled to smoothly reach high speed.

I ran Sea Foam through it and switched over to mixing with Opti-2. I can now use that single gas/oil mix for not only my ice auger but for my weed wacker as well. I no longer have to worry about different mix ratios for different engines. One mix fits all. Less smoke, too.

Here's one of the many Model 30 threads that helped me really make my auger sing:

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=41368.0

The jet adjustment description on page 1 along with cleaning out old gas made the difference:

Close both jets GENTLY

Open the Low speed jet 1/4 turn (on left)

Open High speed jet 1 1/4 turn (on right)

Start engine

Adjust low speed until idling smoothly

Open her up wide open (full throttle)

Adjust High speed jet until engine transitions smoothly from idle to high speed without bogging

Shut engine off, let it cool

Once engine is cold, fire it up and let it idle for 30 sec. Open it up wide open again. Adjust if necessary.

The trick with the Jiffy's is to tune them during cold (ice fishing) weather.

My 30+ year old auger also starts after 1 - 3 pulls every time.
IceShanty.Com: "The best place to go ice fishing, when you can't go ice fishing!"   A Flaggs Orginal

Offline sorelippin

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 23, 2015, 07:46 AM »
Just picked up a used one for my dad last weekend that was mint but was sitting in a guys garage for 10 years without so much as a pull.  Drained the gas, and cleaned the gas tank including the float on the inside (was gummed up with grey matter that was like cement glue).  Had to go to hardware store and grab standard tubing to replace the gas line because it was gummed up with crap.  Cleaned the nipple from gas line to carb in carb cleaner.  Made a mixture of 50:1 with 90 octane and an oz. of seafoam.  3-4 pulls and she fired right up and purred like a kitten.  After the intial start, she starts 1-2 pulls every time.  That Seafoam stuff is awesome.  Made a believer out of me....acts a stabilizer, lubricant and cleans injectors and carb ports/jets.  The 50:1 with 90 octane and an oz. of seafoam is the best mixture I've seen for the late model jiffys.  I actually found that on here some time back.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.