The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Bait  (Read 23757 times)

Offline Bigbait

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Bait
« Reply #180 on: Dec 04, 2009, 09:30 PM »
see you there coastie

The cost is clear why I m on duty. Only til there ice then it Vacation Time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o :o :o :o :o :o

Offline Dozindoug

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #181 on: Dec 05, 2009, 10:06 AM »
The cost is clear why I m on duty. Only til there ice then it Vacation Time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o :o :o :o :o :o
Winter layoff is just around the corner more than likely right around Xmas bring on the ice ;D

Offline kivva king

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #182 on: Dec 05, 2009, 10:23 AM »
i got 4 king sized horn pout in my traps thursday, and a BEAUTIFUL
case of POISON IVY TODAY!!!!!!!!!! :-\ :-\ :-\  **censored**!!!!!!!!

Offline Roncarr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it swims I will JIG IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #183 on: Dec 05, 2009, 10:25 AM »
i got 4 king sized horn pout in my traps thursday, and a BEAUTIFUL
case of POISON IVY TODAY!!!!!!!!!! :-\ :-\ :-\  **censored**!!!!!!!!
Dont scratch your nuts :laugh:
no flag just a perch doin a drive by 

Offline pikeking

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #184 on: Dec 05, 2009, 01:11 PM »
Dont scratch your nuts :laugh:
Wow...I hope you didn't get it on the fish!!!  That would be sad for the fish.
If fishing was work I'd never be sick!

Offline pikeking

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #185 on: Dec 05, 2009, 01:13 PM »
I went after work this morning and got another 35. This is gonna be a great season, if we aver get ice. It is snowing pretty hard out right now. Got the snow blower running this morning too. Here We Go!!!
If fishing was work I'd never be sick!

Offline Bigbait

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #186 on: Dec 05, 2009, 07:14 PM »
I Look at the ten day for cast it look like low numbers next weekend ya.Maybe ice for Xmas.

Offline MASS_pike

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Pay your dues!
« Reply #187 on: Dec 07, 2009, 10:53 PM »
First post on ice shanty for the season, and its nice and cold outside and good to be back.
I am going to try my hand at bait trapping for the first time this week...
I know that everyone has their secret techniques, but Im just looking for a bit of general start up info.

I have two traps, and was thinking of trying a few small ponds, that are fed by the connecticut river, and was just gonna start with some white bread as the food source.

Any info on depth, soak time, food/bait source, how much bait to use, rinning water vs. still, reccommended size of the opening for trapping pike bait (pond shiners, golden and emerald are my target) 
Any info/tips = much appreciated.

Did great fishing for pike at the Oxbow last season and hope to better this one with some native baits.

Thanks  -Joe

Offline GrizlyGarou

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #188 on: Dec 08, 2009, 08:22 AM »

I have two traps, and was thinking of trying a few small ponds, that are fed by the connecticut river, and was just gonna start with some white bread as the food source.

Any info on depth, soak time, food/bait source, how much bait to use, rinning water vs. still, reccommended size of the opening for trapping pike bait (pond shiners, golden and emerald are my target) 

The smaller the pond, the better.  Wear polarized sunglasses, and if you don't see them swimming around in there, go to your next possible spot.

The more bait in the trap, the longer they'll stick around before they try to get back out.  I've always had more in the trap when there was bait left for them to be eating.  Never had any luck in strong current, but a small trickle will spread the smell of the bait around a bit.  The sooner you pull it, the less likely they are to escape, but the less likely they are to have found it yet.  I've gotten 3 dozen on an overnight soak, and four dozen after a few hours.  I'd pull them after an hour or two if you're looking for good spots and toss the trap back in if you get any then come back the next day.

As far as the opening size goes, the law says 1 inch opening max.  I've gotten a bunch a little over 4 inches through a 1 inch hole, so not really pike bait size.  I caught a few monsters with a really small hook and a piece of worm about a foot under a really small bobber, though.  I'm sure that there are a few people that have bigger entrance holes in their traps that haven't run into the fish police, it's just a question of whether you feel like risking it or not I guess.

Make sure they're well hidden, too.  lots of scumbags like to steal stuff.  And don't tell anybody where you trapped them, of course!

"One hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in or the kind of car I drove, but the world may be different because I was important in the life of a child."  Anonymous

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.